Is it the Methods or the Products?

What contributes more to obtaining LONG hair - the care or the products

• Methods ex. con washing, baging ends, deep conditioning

Votes: 45 25.1%
  • Products ex. specific brands of oils, conditioners, etc.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Combo of both care methods and products

Votes: 132 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CurliDiva

What do you think contribute more to obtaining LONG hair - the care methods or the products?

Has anyone finished tweaking their hair routine – I mean methods and PRODUCTS?

Is it normal to keep trying different products if you keep the same method (ie. Con washes)? I guess I'm curious if WE are doing too much to our hair instead of just letting grow?

Last edited:
I'm done. I occassionally try to find no silicone products to replace my silicone-laden ones. Or natural products to replace my chemical-laden ones. Other than that, I'm good.

I think it's 20% products and 80% method.

I think it is more so the methods than the products. Even before finding the forum I used pretty good products but I never achieved the length or health that I wanted. However since incorporating lhcf methods my hair has increased in length and health. And I actually believe that over the next few years I will make my MBL goal a reality.
I do think that good products do help with shine, volume, etc...but not really in growing healthy long hair.

I would say its the methods...I think I could've used just about any product and still gotten growth because of the simplicity of my regimen (washing, DCing, no heat, bunning)

I think its the combination of both products and method, for example you need to use the correct products for your hair type like moisturizing poos and conditoners as well as moisturizers, etc. Coupled with the right products, the way you treat your hair, the methods used, protective styling and moisturinzing your ends makes healthy long hair. I'd have to say both product and methods.

sareca said:
I'm done. I occassionally try to find no silicone products to replace my silicone-laden ones. Or natural products to replace my chemical-laden ones. Other than that, I'm good.

I think it's 20% products and 80% method.

ITA: I think it's a combination. I think it's the methods that are most important (protective styling, limited heat, moisturize and then seal with oil, baggying) but products are important too. It's very important to use good quality products, but that doesn't mean the products have to be expensive :)

It's both. Before I started taking real care of my hair, I used a lot of products that didn't agree with my hair-- I just used them because everyone else was. I now read product labels and ingredient listings before I buy anything now!

Also, since I got into hair, I've been getting better with a lot of techniques: Trimming, rollersetting, protective styles, daily washing. The combination of finding the right products for me and learning good hair care methods has really helped my hair thrive. I am unsure if I can weigh one more than the other.

I use a lot of products (rotating them when they stop working), but I always keep the same regimen/method. I try not to have too many variables when I am doing my hair. Less is really more.

For me personally I believe it is combo of both. However I do believe that quality products make a big difference. I can tell a visible difference between my hair now and my hair last year. I am using better products this year with the same methods and I see a huge difference. My texture is better, my color, I have more shine, and it is easier to keep it moisturized.

Although quality of products helps, the produts can't do all the work. We all know there is know "miracle" product. Its all about gving your hair TLC

Its a combo of both for me.
Good products+Good methods=Growth, at least for me it does. My regimen has been pretty much the same for the last two years. I'm not quick to try every new hair product that comes on the market, I stick with what works for me, and by doing that my hair continues to thrive.

Babygurl said:
I would say its the methods...I think I could've used just about any product and still gotten growth because of the simplicity of my regimen (washing, DCing, no heat, bunning)

babygurl, I want hair just like yours. So PRETTY!!! :-) You have regime posted somewhere? If not share please.

I think it is a combo, but moreso the method. Obviously if you are doing everything 'right' but dcing witha conditioner made up of water, silicone, and mineral oil, that isn't gonna do much. Same goes for moisturizing with a petroleum+mineral oil+water mix, the moisture isn't there so that would make everything mute IMHO.

I don't however think the products have to be expensive. But somethings you just can't go cheap with, such as protein treats.

Both. But if a gun was to my head, I pick the method. Protein, moisture, limited heat, proper washing, etc makes a way bigger difference than if I'm using KeraCare or the much cheaper Motions.

I think methods are more important than products. I add oils, honey, aloe vera to just about every product I buy, but the protective styles, regular moisturizing, and no heat are constants.

I think Methods mostly. I say this because I think we can reach our goals with rinsing our hair with water daily.lol but seriously I do.

I think its both but the methods way more. 25% products 75% methods I mean cowashing deep conditiong, moisturizing and sealing my ends, and bunning is what has been saving my hair. There is no growth miracle product but my hair likes creamy leave ins, wgo, evvo , and mnt so it does better with these than using grease or black gel or something. So i think the methods is what works and the products just help.

I think it's the methods. Everyone doesn't agree on the same products, but almost everyone says that certain methods help with getting long hair. Also, some people hardly ever use anything on their hair, but they still have long hair because they practice low manipulation, protective styles, etc.

I voted for methods.

I have never even thought about products b4 LHCF (now I am a product junkie)
My point is I used whatever was around but my hair grew better if I kept away from heat, protective styles DC ext.

I think regardless of the product if the methods are done correctly IE some type of protein, moisture, refrain from heat, protective styling.

All methods to proper hair care anyone’s hair will retain length, with that being said I will admit that certain products for certain people will increase results in retaining length. Also products can help with texture and ascetics
http://192.168.1.207/rocklog/Corner...num=01520347&ncmd=editticket&ticket=144257979

Haha, I see that i'm in the minority of picking "products". I said products because although protective styles and care help to retain necessary length, for me, it hasn't been products and what they contained, but products and what they DIDN'T contain:mineral oil, and petroleum. Had I know that before, who knows how long my hair would've been by now...

With my current state of PJW (Product Junkie Withdrawl )- I realize that it is the regular METHODS of con washing, baggying, and deep conditioning that are making the biggest improvements to my hair.

Miss.Que said:
I think it is more so the methods than the products. Even before finding the forum I used pretty good products but I never achieved the length or health that I wanted. However since incorporating lhcf methods my hair has increased in length and health. And I actually believe that over the next few years I will make my MBL goal a reality.
I do think that good products do help with shine, volume, etc...but not really in growing healthy long hair.

ITA with you. Oh by the way, your hair is beautiful

I can't decide. My hair had a growth spurt (or so I believe) about 3 years ago. By spurt, I mean that for the first time in ages, my hair grew to about APL (see avatar), whereas my hair was normally shoulder length.

Before discovering LHCF, I cut about 4 inches of my hair a couple of months ago. (Now I want it back!). So, I am trying to think of what I did three years ago to get me past my "normal" length and I can't remember. I had no specific method that I used to get my hair to that length.

I use the same product that I did back then (I stray every now and then only to come back to my true love -- Keracare shampoo!). I didn't have a love for any moisturizing conditioner then (or now). I used protein then (Affirm 5 in 1) and now.

I don't/didn't baggie, protective styles, nada.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't cut it as often (gave up on trimming with every touchup). Does that count as a method?

Both are necessary I think. Products are definitely important because I never vary my washing methods but with some products detangling is a breeze and my hair dries with body and shine while with others I lose so much hair and my hair looks like crap.

Back