Is it safe to perm/texlax more that once a month?

Is it safe to perm/texlax more that once per month?

• Yes

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 71 86.6%
  • Don't know/Never tried before

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jazzysweet

I Tried to texlax a week ago but I didn't leave it on long enough... My hair curl pattern has not changed :wallbash:. I want to give it another try tonight but I'm scared my hair will fall out. Since the perm did'nt take do you think it's safe to give it another try? Please share your experiences.

Last edited:
I put no because you hair still needs time to repair from the process that DID take place. If anything at least wait a week and 'prep' your hair like you've never prepped it before. Its better to be safe than sorry right?

I Tried to texlax a week ago but I didn't leave it on long enough... My hair curl pattern has not changed :wallbash:. I want to give it another try tonight but I'm scared my hair will fall out. Since the perm did'nt take do you think it's safe to give it another try? Please share your experiences.

jazzysweet, this is not recommended. I did the same thing once. I waited until at least 6 weeks before attempting it again but I covered the 6 weeks of new growth first, then covered the already texlaxed hair again with relaxer as a corrective for the last 10 minutes of the relaxer and it came out nicely. Make sure keep up with your deep conditioning in the mean time. You should perhaps add a mild protein treatment too at least once every 2 weeks.

I did this once also and it only texlaxed hair closer to the root and the ends were still natural. I was too scared to do it again because the directions said to do it only once every ten weeks, so I chose "no" for the question. I'd say wait a few weeks at least.

I voted "Yes" because I have done it; HOWEVER, as Aggie mentioned, I don't recommend it. :nono:

I texlaxed on a Saturday, noticed that I didn't leave the relaxer in long enough, so I re-texlaxed 3 days later. Thankfully, my hair turned out fine. I have faced that same situation (many times) since then and have chosen to wait until my next scheduled touchup. In fact, now I like (and intentionally aim for) the "more textured" results. :yep:

LOL@BEAUTIFUL UNDERSTATMENT

Umm...I would not think that's safe.
Not saying I'm tryin to clown you because I've done it! :grin:
I've relaxed twice in 2 days because the first relaxer 'didn't take'.
Ehh...
>>shrugs<<
Whatever--stuff happens.

My hair never fell out. And this is before I knew how to 'prep' my hair or even considered what the whole process was doing to my hair.

But that is not recommended, of course. And I dern sure wouldn't try it now that I know better. :grin:

Why not let a few weeks lapse?

What exactly do you mean by safe? Usually I start by reading the directions on the package. What does yours say?

I just wanted to hear if any had done this without their hair falling out and I appreciate all the feedback recieved so far.

beautifulisaunderstatment--- why you gotta make a sista look like she does'nt have common sense? I would'nt have asked if I felt the directions were clear in my case. But thanks anyways

Whaaaat?

I'm a natural but I've been relaxed before giving it up (and chopping off all the relaxer) and I don't even have an answer but:

whaaat?!!!!!!!

I think you guys are right... I should probably just wait.. I am 7 months transitioning and I am starting to feel the pain. I wanted to texlax to help with detangling and styling. I have been putting too much heat on it because the two textures of my hair are soo different. I think I need to just get some braids.

I think you guys are right... I should probably just wait.. I am 7 months transitioning and I am starting to feel the pain. I wanted to texlax to help with detangling and styling. I have been putting too much heat on it because the two textures of my hair are soo different. I think I need to just get some braids.
Yaaaaay!:yay:

I know I am going to get a beat down (D) but I did this back in March.

My hair did not break off, shed, or fall out. The only thing I noticed was it felt a little wear so I did (2) Aphogee 2 Min reconstructor applications and DC'd. My hair sprung back to normal after that.

I only relaxed my hair like that 3 times b/c I already KNEW that my hair could take that. I did a texlax for 5 min and it didnt do a thing. Then I waited about 4 days and did it again. I left it on for 10 more min that time and it didnt do much of anything still. Then I did it again about 4 days later and tried to relax bone strait, but right after that last relaxer I did the big Aphogee treatment and it curled my hair back up but it was in 3c curls. I was pissed at the time but now I am pretty happy with it. The problem now is I dont know exactly how to relax my hair next time. :ohwell:

I STRONGLY suggest you not do any of this. :nono: Your hair may not be able to take all that.Wait. Dont do it again for at least 6 weeks.

I know I am going to get a beat down (D) but I did this back in March.

Thanks for sharing this... You happen to be one of my texlax inspirations. You hair is sooo beautiful.

As for beat downs.... I think we all know that this is not generally recommended but I hope that everyone still shares their real life experiences even if it is deviating from the "norm".

So far I havent heard anyone who tried this say their hair fell out.....we shall see...

I said no but i did do it once:rolleyes::sad: i dont recommend it i got the best result ever. i first texlaxed myself but did not leave it long enough on dec 26 and then on dec 28 had a relaxer completely applied all over and it resulted in the softer hair ever. i truly dont recommend it. mind u the hair was virgin for 2 years and in great condition but to this day the hair relaxed is unbelievably soft i ll post pix before and after:

texlaxed hair curled

relaxed hair 2 days later and curled

the hair is softer but i lost a lot of thickness even though it s still thick and bouncy. i think what saved my hair from damage is the forced cut and also the deep conditionning sessions at the domenican salon

like i said i do not recommend it but i loved the results it gave me cause my hair is forever changed since december it stays soft and trust me i had relaxers in my last 26 years but no result like this. my last touch up was march 3. i just use serum now.

Thanks for sharing this... You happen to be one of my texlax inspirations. You hair is sooo beautiful.

As for beat downs.... I think we all know that this is not generally recommended but I hope that everyone still shares their real life experiences even if it is deviating from the "norm".

So far I havent heard anyone who tried this say their hair fell out.....we shall see...
Thanks!!

How does one textlax? If I'm not mistaken, this means underprocessing the hair correct? I always thought leaving the perm on the hair for 10 mins would DEF. get you bone straight hair but I guess it's not a given.
What are the factors one must consider to get good textlaxing results (hair texture, volume)? And how do you apply it so quickly? With a brush or with your hands? What perm are you ladies using, texturizers?

Sorry for all the Qs....

I just wanted to hear if any had done this without their hair falling out and I appreciate all the feedback recieved so far.

beautifulisaunderstatment--- why you gotta make a sista look like she does'nt have common sense? I would'nt have asked if I felt the directions were clear in my case. But thanks anyways

Did I do that? I thought u did a good enough job yourself :yep: Just kidding. :lachen: I didnt know if you didnt read the package. Some of those natural-laxer kits say its okay to use over anything. I dont know what you have in your house. BUT in any even I do not think its a smart or safe idea to chemically process (perm, relax, texturize, color, etc) your hair twice in such a short amount of time.

this thread comes at a perfect time.

I relaxed on saturdat w/ super strenght at the recommended time but my hair is still underprocessed :ohwell:

I'm thinking about having another go again on saturday :look:

I said no but i did do it once:rolleyes::sad: i dont recommend it i got the best result ever. i first texlaxed myself but did not leave it long enough on dec 26 and then on dec 28 had a relaxer completely applied all over and it resulted in the softer hair ever. i truly dont recommend it. mind u the hair was virgin for 2 years and in great condition but to this day the hair relaxed is unbelievably soft i ll post pix before and after:

texlaxed hair curled

relaxed hair 2 days later and curled

the hair is softer but i lost a lot of thickness even though it s still thick and bouncy. i think what saved my hair from damage is the forced cut and also the deep conditionning sessions at the domenican salon

like i said i do not recommend it but i loved the results it gave me cause my hair is forever changed since december it stays soft and trust me i had relaxers in my last 26 years but no result like this. my last touch up was march 3. i just use serum now.

Great results! So you did'nt loose any more hair that usual? It looks really nice expecially on the second pic.

I texlaxed on day and did a horrible job. I was overprocessed and couldn't fathom going another 6-8 weeks without are relaxer. I waited a week and texlaxed again. This was a while ago and I have not seen any ill effects. I would not recommend it but my experience did not set me back.

How does one textlax? If I'm not mistaken, this means underprocessing the hair correct? I always thought leaving the perm on the hair for 10 mins would DEF. get you bone straight hair but I guess it's not a given.
What are the factors one must consider to get good textlaxing results (hair texture, volume)? And how do you apply it so quickly? With a brush or with your hands? What perm are you ladies using, texturizers?

Sorry for all the Qs....

bumping for responses :perplexed

I did the same thing yesterday. My front wasn't as relaxed as I'd like. I waited a couple of weeks and re did the front and sides.

bumping for responses :perplexed

LOL@ the perplexed smilie!

when I did it, it wasn't on purpose..atleast at first. Then I grew to like it b/c although I was relaxed I still has somewhat of a texture. I just would leave the relaxer on for under the recommended time.

Great results! So you did'nt loose any more hair that usual? It looks really nice expecially on the second pic.

Thanks Jazzysweet no i did not lose any hair even though when i first texlaxed it stayed thicked and the roots i could not catch it were really tangled

but when the hair salon used affirm and redid the whole head 2 days after, the hair was incredibly soft and they could not understand why but when i say soft like silk it never ever been this way all the years i relaxed. but i also think its because i had a blue black rinse applied and deep cond the same day i permed the whole thing.

I think its because i repermed entirely what was already slightly texlaxed that my hair like in the 2 pix is forever soft, wet it s bone straight, and seems with no volume but as soon as i let it dry with serum it becomes a bundle of thickness but sooooooooooooo soft!!!

like i said i dont want you to lose all your hair cause it is not good not at all and i usually condemn reapplying so so soon but for me it was the best thing that ever happened and resulted in the softer hair ever!!!! i loooooove it it stays bouncy, and soft and light i dont know if it s the double dipping ok i stopped being the devil's advocate cause i know it s baaaad!!!!!! i ll post few pics of the new hair (double dipped lol:lachen::wallbash:

before texlaxed with Dark and Lovely:

2 days after permed the whole thing with Affirm plus blue black jet black rinse same day:

(disclaimer i dont want nobody going and doing it and accusing me of making their hair fall:rolleyes: just sharing experience with the op that mine did not fall and resulted in what i love :lachen::grin:had to put it here pheww lol)

MORE PIX DOUBLE-DIPPED HAIR 2 MONTHS LATER no the hair did not fall but thickened and stayed soft. regimen every 2 weeks wash at domenican salon wash set blowout and roots touch up every 2 months (Texlaxed hair entirely with Dark and Lovely, permed again 2days later with Affirm and 1 touch up roots only 2 month later with Mizani:

I truly apologize guys in advance just sharing experience and my story is full of bad stuff just switching to 3 relaxers in not even 3 months, after being natural for 2 years. Phewww:wallbash: texlaxed first with Dark and lovely, then permed whole thing with Affirm and now I AM A MIZANI GIRL (that s what my domenican hairdresser uses on me looooooove it. my perm touch up was due on may 3, havent done it yet hehe but i will go sooon too much new growth to tame lol

generally, no, it isn't safe.

BUT...

the last time i relaxed, i did a hardcore protein treatment 2 days afterwards. it reverted all of my newly relaxed hair, so 3 days after the protein treatment (5 days total after my 1st relaxer application), i re-applied relaxer to the reverted parts of my hair.

my hair came out beautifully, and didn't feel especially dry or anything.

i would NOT recommend it, but i did it, and i still have puh-lenty of hair.

It's basically a corrective relaxer. Maybe some of our pros here could chime in on how much in any of a time lapse is necessary.

Back