Is it really worth it? Growth Aids....

Have You Considered that are could be Long Effects of non-human tested Growth Aids?

• Yes! Its worth it!

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • No! I should do some research....

Votes: 69 48.3%

• Total voters

BeautifulFlower

I havent been on this forum long and I love it dearly. In less than a month my hair is the longest, thickest, healthiest it has ever been (I dont want show an update pic yet, Im on the Valentine's Day Challenge). :grin::yep::drunk:

However in the name of a few inches (especially if you are not actually losing your hair as a result of a medical condition), is using Mane Tail Groom (MTG) and/or Miconazole Nitrate (MN) really worth it since they havent been clinically test on humans over a period of time? The long term effects could be severly damaging to you hair, scalp, and even your blood stream. I would hate for any of you ladies to endure suffering to your beautiful tresses. This kinda worries me. :ohwell:

I just gotta understand where you ladies are coming from. Maybe I am missing something.:look:

Last edited:
This is a concern of mine also. I just recently posted a thread similar to this, inquiring about the headaches that some people have reported having from using MN. I love long hair, but I care about living a long healthy life a whole lot more.

This is a concern of mine also. I just recently posted a thread similar to this, inquiring about the headaches that some people have reported having from using MN. I love long hair, but I care about living a long healthy life a whole lot more.

I used to use MN but had to stop because of the headaches :nono:. I'm not concerned about sulfur though because I knows it's produced in our body naturally and also since it's ok to ingest it I don't find anything wrong with putting it on my scalp. Also I make my own sulfur mix so I know exactly what's going in there.

Exactly my point! A full head of hair with damage brain cells is not cute at all! :lachen:

LMAO!

Well,

MN is topical, so I guess it's supposed to be used on the skin, however how long do you ladies keep applying it? I know somethings say "Discontinue use after [such and such time]".

Hopefully everyone is monitoring their body and any changes that may have occurred. No one on this board will use something when they know it's doing more harm than good.

LMAO!

Well,

MN is topical, so I guess it's supposed to be used on the skin, however how long do you ladies keep applying it? I know somethings say "Discontinue use after [such and such time]".

Hopefully everyone is monitoring their body and any changes that may have occurred. No one on this board will use something when they know it's doing more harm than good.

Not quite that easy, especially when it comes to long term effects.

I've tried MN, but stop using it after I did not see any results in a months time. I don't think that I would try it again. I do agree that topical growth aids that are not traditionally used for hair growth should only be used for a short amount of time. I think constant use of product that directs you to use for a limited time is risky.

I've never tried MTG, however I have thought about it and still might give it a try one of these days.

I havent been on this forum long and I love it dearly. In less than a month my hair is the longest, thickest, healthiest it has ever been (I dont want show an update pic yet, Im on the Valentine's Day Challenge). :grin::yep::drunk:

However in the name of a few inches (especially if you are not actually losing your hair as a result of a medical condition), is using Mane Tail Groom (MTG) and/or Miconazole Nitrate (MN) really worth it since they havent been clinically test on humans over a period of time? The long term effects could be severly damaging to you hair, scalp, and even your blood stream. I would hate for any of you ladies to endure suffering to your beautiful tresses. This kinda worries me. :ohwell:

I just gotta understand where you ladies are coming from. Maybe I am missing something.:look:

I think what you said is very true, I use MN and havent had any problems at all. I havent used it long enough to be concerned about the long term effects. MN is used in some others products that I have seen that are sold in stores, but what we have to remember is all the other things that we are buying, might not be safe also and could affect certain things. What we have to remember is I guess if its a growth aide only use for a certain period of time. Alot of the ingredients in hair growth products and hair care products in general we sometimes dont know what all those ingredients are, but its just what they put in their product.

For example there are products out there that have cancer causing agents in them and one is Hask Placenta Henna 'n' Placenta Conditioning Treatment. :nono:

So I guess the answer is we are chancing our lives with anything that we use because we never know when we are using something that is not good for us because its in a product unless you do research on every ingredient name before you buy it and all products are not tested on humans and alot are not tested on animals.

I guess we just have to be more careful these days!:yep:

Last edited:
I have not ever used MTG but my understanding is that it was originally made for humans and then used for horses.

I have not ever used MTG but my understanding is that it was originally made for humans and then used for horses.

Yeah, that was my understanding too. I would probably go on and off with growth aids cause after a while they don't work like they use too. So, 3 months on, three weeks off, and so on.

I used to use MN but had to stop because of the headaches :nono:. I'm not concerned about sulfur though because I knows it's produced in our body naturally and also since it's ok to ingest it I don't find anything wrong with putting it on my scalp. Also I make my own sulfur mix so I know exactly what's going in there.
NM has been tested on humans for various topical applications. The MN in the monistat and generic products has been obviously tested for use vaginally... but I don't think that either have been tested for use over extended periods of time. I have questions about the MN because of that.

I agree with this post regarding the MTG like sulfur based products, especially the home-made mixtures.

This is one of the reasons I do not have a problem with MN. I figure if it is safe enough to put into my very delicate feminine regions, I can put it on my scalp. Of course, I have not experienced any headaches, so my perspective might be different if I had.

Growth aids probably do have questionable ingredients but so do shampoo, conditioner, and other cosmetics (parabens, anyone?). Just b/c you don't use growth aids doesn't mean you're totally safe from toxic ingredients.

Growth aids probably do have questionable ingredients but so do shampoo, conditioner, and other cosmetics (parabens, anyone?). Just b/c you don't use growth aids doesn't mean you're totally safe from toxic ingredients.

Basically. Most growth aids with the exception to MN cream have the same ingredients used in shampoo, conditioner etc...just in an oil or cream base to be applied to the scalp. Trust, if you wash your hair on a regular basis, you will still get exposure to "bad" ingredients. Shoot, lotion has just as many ingredients in it that can cause irritation for some, just like growth aids.

No it is not worth it to me. I do not use growth aides because I am afraid of the long term effects of them. Especially the ones that are not used for their intended use because God forbid if there are side effects that pop up years from now and someone gets sick from taking MN the company would not be liable because it was not used in the proper manner for which it was made. Your medical insurance could also make the same claim and refuse to pay.

If using hand sanitizer habitually for long periods can kill natural bacteria on your hands, it also causes you to produce stronger strains of bacteria to resist the sanitizer. Couldn't this be the same for MN, if you have an anitbiotic (is antifungal and antibiotic?) on your scalp? What if you get a ringworm form your students or kids or salon or any scalp fungus, would it still be effective, when the doctor prescribe you an antigual treatment? Am I making sense:ohwell:?

I'm okay with BT or MTG, because its not a medicine.

If using hand sanitizer habitually for long periods can kill natural bacteria on your hands, it also causes you to produce stronger strains of bacteria to resist the sanitizer. Couldn't this be the same for MN, if you have an anitbiotic (is antifungal and antibiotic?) on your scalp? What if you get a ringworm form your students or kids or salon or any scalp fungus, would it still be effective, when the doctor prescribe you an antigual treatment? Am I making sense:ohwell:?

Ringworm of the scalp usually requires an oral med anyway. OTC antifungals say that they are "not effective on the scalp or nails."

Tenjoy,

I completely understand what you are saying. This the same reason why I stay away from many soaps and creams with antibiotics (soap and water is fine for me) From my mediocre understanding of biology antifungual is not an antibiotic (fungi is often used to create antibiotics though). Antibiotics kill bacteria where as antifungals works on fungi. HTH

Tenjoy,

I completely understand what you are saying. This the same reason why I stay away from many soaps and creams with antibiotics (soap and water is fine for me) From my mediocre understanding of biology antifungual is not an antibiotic (fungi is often used to create antibiotics though). Antibiotics kill bacteria where as antifungals works on fungi. HTH

Taht what I thought.....but isn't ringworm a fungus?

Taht what I thought.....but isn't ringworm a fungus?

Yes, ringworm is caused by fungi. I got ringworm a couple months ago and it took nearly a month to get rid of it. The worst part is that it started to spread. If ringworm isn't treated thoroughly it will continue to spread. I've seen people with ringworm of the scalp and they actually went temporarily bald...:nono:

I figured that MN was ok to use because it acted as a "cleaning agent" we get bacteria everywhere. MN (at least from my understanding) can be used as an agent to help eliminate bacteria. Thats why so many people are experiencing these growth spurts. It helps open (clean) those pores on your head that arent regularly opened. Shampoo can only do so much. At least this was the message that I got when I was introduced to MN. Ladies please correct me if I am wrong.....

I have decided to stop using growth aids.
Even though the only 1 i used was mtg straight arrow.
I just don't feel like going through the work of applying it.
Don't get me wrong the growth aid was a big help last year when i was Applying it and i did get a lot of growth.
But now i just let nature do it's thing

thats kind of scary because in the hospital they have these dispensers outside of patient rooms in the hallway that contain an antimicrobial foam for us to use in between patients. Of course you still wash your hands periodically throughout the day, but u cant wash your hands every 5 minutes when u are in and out of the patients rooms all day. I never thought about it making you produce stronger bacteria. It makes sense though because this is what happened with penicillin...they used to give it for everything and now there are infections that have mutated and a are resistant to it. So they come out with stronger antibiotics, and then there will be stronger bacteria and we go round and round with that....:rolleyes:

thats kind of scary because in the hospital they have these dispensers outside of patient rooms in the hallway that contain an antimicrobial foam for us to use in between patients. Of course you still wash your hands periodically throughout the day, but u cant wash your hands every 5 minutes when u are in and out of the patients rooms all day. I never thought about it making you produce stronger bacteria. It makes sense though because this is what happened with penicillin...they used to give it for everything and now there are infections that have mutated and a are resistant to it. So they come out with stronger antibiotics, and then there will be stronger bacteria and we go round and round with that....:rolleyes:

The thing is that the bacteria will always win out.:yep:

Back