Is it possible

katie

to leave my hair in braided extensions for more than a 2 month period?I'm thinking 3 months.Or would this really damage my relaxed hair and be impossible to detangle due to buildup and knotting?

It is possible depending on how fast your hair grows and what products you use. I personsally would be afraid of build up or the weight of the braid extension causing damage to the new growth.

You are supposed to wait at least 1 week and you need to use a filler so that relaxer won't get into micro-nicks in your hair and cause damage.

Your hair might lock if you leave your braids in that long due to the new growth twisting due to normal wear of the braids (I've never left braids in for longer than six weeks). I would also say that to prevent buildup you should wash your braids at least every two weeks (I do every week when I have braids)

I've worn my hair in braids for close to six months once but most of the time I will leave them in two months. I always wore the human hair braids. My hair never locked and I have fine, thin hair that can easily break but I didn't have those problems. The thing is its how you care for the hair while they are in the braids. If you need to do small re-touches then do them. If you need to remove build-up daily, weekly, etc..remove the buildup-as long as you replace moisture. Also, it's VERY IMPORTANT to remove the braids carefully-I found that to be the most important step.

Back