Is it possible rollerset natural hair?

Ayeshia

Now that Im natural by suprise I will have a lot of questions to ask...Is it possible to rollerset natural hair?. I liked it a lot when I went to the dominicans but now since I'm going to be natural i wondered will there be any hope for me in a year and a half when I'll have sum hair...lol

There is a member by the name of Sweetcocoa who was rollersetting her natural hair I believe. She later texturized. She was one of the features of the month. You can look at the past feature of the months to see her regime and she mentions rollersetting.

I was just looking at the Feature of the Months earlier, I can't remember which month she was featured though.

it depends on your hair texture if you are talking about roller setting to achieve the look of a wrap or something straight... but otherwise I often set my hair on rods or straws and it coes out cute

well my hair is 3b/3c...so i wouldnt know. but thanks for the ideas about straw sets and spiral sets i completely forgot about that!!!!!!!

It's definately possible.
smile.gif
My mom does every week.

Oh, but it's not in a straight/sleek style. More bouncy kind of like Claire from Cosby Show.

You sure can. I did it before I texturized in October. Just take a look at my album under my rollerset, I have pictures.

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
You sure can. I did it before I texturized in October. Just take a look at my album under my rollerset, I have pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait just a second...I've looked at that rollerset before and I thought that it was beatiful, but this is my first time realizing that you were able to do that with your natural hair! It turned out really sleek and smooth as if you had flat ironed it! This gives me hope! Now my hair is a different texture and it probably wouldn't come out quite as smooth, but making one quick pass with a flat iron over the sections after rollersetting is not going to be NEARLY as damaging, as blow drying, and sectioning and going over it 2-3 times forcing it straight. Sorry about this I'm just talking (well typing) out loud.
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait just a second...I've looked at that rollerset before and I thought that it was beatiful, but this is my first time realizing that you were able to do that with your natural hair! It turned out really sleek and smooth as if you had flat ironed it! This gives me hope! Now my hair is a different texture and it probably wouldn't come out quite as smooth, but making one quick pass with a flat iron over the sections after rollersetting is not going to be NEARLY as damaging, as blow drying, and sectioning and going over it 2-3 times forcing it straight. Sorry about this I'm just talking (well typing) out loud.
bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup that was done on my natural hair. My roots were wavy but other than that, the hair on the roller would come out very straight. I would have to wrap it at night or tie it down for a few days before the roots would flatten out a bit, but other than that, my hair came out very straight. It took forever to do though (total time including drying took 3-4 hours).

What did you use on your hair to rollerset it skegeesmb? What was your technique..type of rollers used..did you dry it under the dryer..etc.

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...And there you have it! Where there's a will there's a way girl! I really think a roller set will do your hair some good. Keep away from all that direct hair, it'll just mess your hair up.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
What did you use on your hair to rollerset it skegeesmb? What was your technique..type of rollers used..did you dry it under the dryer..etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used lottabody cremewrap (comes in a white jar with a purple top) and wildgrowth hair oil. I put the wildgrowth hair oil on the ends of my hair to smooth it on the roller.

I used purple rollers I'm not sure of the diameter though. I have seen the same size rollers as different colors. I would sit under a dryer for hours it takes a loooong time for my hair to dry.

The lottabody didn't make your hair revert or get extra curly? Then you mixed it with wildgrowth hair oil..interesting I might have to try it. Oh and um what the rollers the magnetic kind..I heard that people use them for rollersetting..

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
The lottabody didn't make your hair revert or get extra curly? Then you mixed it with wildgrowth hair oil..interesting I might have to try it. Oh and um what the rollers the magnetic kind..I heard that people use them for rollersetting..

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope it didn't make my hair extra curly at all. I would use a brush to smooth out my hair and then roll. That's it. Oh and the rollers I use are magnetic. To me it just means smooth plastic rollers in which the hair stays on the roller hence "magnetic" some people roller set with mesh rollers, the rollers are metal with mesh around it. Your hair dries much faster, but it doesn't dry as smooth or as straight (at least with my hair it didn't).

hey everyone,

i havent been on the board for a while. hope everyone is making great progress with their hair. its been 1 1/2 years since my long transition and the majority of my hair is all natural now. im just bumping this to see if any naturals still rollerset on a regular basis and what your regime entails. tia for all the replies.

Yup, you can. I get my hair set on the grey or purple magnetic rollers and I sit under the Pibbs Kwik Dry dryer and my hair comes out bouncy. I normally have them wrap my hair and it comes out pretty nice afterwards. I am going to order a Pibbs dryer in about a week, so I can do it all at home.

I just rollerset my greatgrandma's type 3a hair and the results were nice and bouncy! Now, being that I'm DEFINATELY a type 4a/b, I think it would be a waste of time trying to rollerset that type naturally...

Alli77 said:
I just rollerset my greatgrandma's type 3a hair and the results were nice and bouncy! Now, being that I'm DEFINATELY a type 4a/b, I think it would be a waste of time trying to rollerset that type naturally...
I agree, Alli77. Type 3's can roller set and get very good results - just the edges might be a bit frizzy. OTOH, I've seen photos of a type 4 who roller set and the curls were not well defined and didn't even last a day. If I remember correctly, it took her 2 hours to set and overnight to air dry because she had really thick medium length hair.

MissBiss said:
I agree, Alli77. Type 3's can roller set and get very good results - just the edges might be a bit frizzy. OTOH, I've seen photos of a type 4 who roller set and the curls were not well defined and didn't even last a day. If I remember correctly, it took her 2 hours to set and overnight to air dry because she had really thick medium length hair.

I don't know if a 4 can do it or not. I thought AFashionslave used to. i know I tried it...and it didn't work well, but I couldn't rollerset my hair all that well when it was relaxed :-/

ThursdayGirl said:
I don't know if a 4 can do it or not. I thought AFashionslave used to. i know I tried it...and it didn't work well, but I couldn't rollerset my hair all that well when it was relaxed :-/
Afashionslave does have a rollerset in her album. However, I think 4s follow with a blowdryer for a blow out or with a flatiron.

That's my plan anyway..

Why couldnt you rollerset 4 type hair? My friend is 4b and all natuiral and gets rolelrsets and blow outs occassionally and they look like a relaxer. I think if you can do anythign well you can do it in all types of situations (ex test taking) So dont let seomone tell you they cant do it because of your hair type. That just meansthey can do it well period. Find a competent stylist or do it yourself :) It will look great (it may take some tweaking but what style doesnt the first go around)

I'm going to try this when my hair gets longer.:) I can finger curl with gel, so I'm figuring I should have no problem.

beyondcute said:
Why couldnt you rollerset 4 type hair? My friend is 4b and all natuiral and gets rolelrsets and blow outs occassionally and they look like a relaxer. I think if you can do anythign well you can do it in all types of situations (ex test taking) So dont let seomone tell you they cant do it because of your hair type. That just meansthey can do it well period. Find a competent stylist or do it yourself :) It will look great (it may take some tweaking but what style doesnt the first go around)

Yea, thats what I was thinkin. With the right technique, you can rollerset ANY hair type.

Back