Is Hairspray Always a Don't?

Falon

Is Hairspray Always a Don\'t?

I haven't been using heat regularly in the last month I have only used my flat iron twice which for me is a real accomplishment...but I am doing my very best to avoid a trim for as long as possible.

I have been doing daily conditioner washes and airdrying my hair in bantu knots or flexi rods.

My routine is to rinse with a cheapie conditioner..towel dry the hair (press not rub) for 5 to 10 minutes and then I put in my leave ins :A dab of coconut oil...Ubh moisturizer (sometimes NTM silk touch) and frizz buster serum or whatever kind I have on hand. Then I do my Bantu knots.

On a weekend day I do a pre-treatment with coconut milk and oil...shampoo and deep condition with my UBH...then I follow my regular steps.

I have been having great success with my hair being 99% dry by morning...I think the time I spend towel drying helps a lot..but it's still a bit damp in certain spots in the morning no matter what.

I have found that spritzing some hairspray and scrunching with my hand helps to keep the damp curls from falling and when it dries it is held in place and looks fresh for the rest of the day.

I've gotten it dow to a 30 minute process at night so I don't mind doing it fresh everynight.

Anyway, I am afraid of hairspray because of the alcohol...I wonder if it will damage my hair even though I never comb my hair with it in and I wash it out every night and I use NO heat. Is this O.K to do? Right now I am using John Frieda's Shape and Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray and of course the very first ingredient is Alcohol.

Re: Is Hairspray Always a Don\'t?

Just like w/anything else, moderation is the key. Judging from your post, you don't abuse your hair and seem to be keeping it moisturized w/the airdrying and condition washing.

I use spritz/hairspray on my hair once a wk after styling. I used to stay away from it like the plague, but now I find that it actually adds shine to my hair and of couse the hold it gives def helps my style.

So, to answer your question: No. Hairspray is NOT always a don't, however, everything in moderation. Do not overuse it and don't comb your hair while it's stiff. I spray spritz on my hands FIRST and the smooth it onto my hair to keep from getting that stiff effect.

I don't think you should worry about using hairspray the way you have been using it.
up.gif

I agree, especially with the no-combing part. Usually I don't wear hairspray because it really doesn't work for me in Georgia humidity. But the times that I did use it, I washed it out that night or soon after.

It's a BIG no-no for me. Now, I may only use it 3-4 times a year, and that's only if I am doing something special, and don't feel like worrying about how my hair looks all evening.

Considering your regimen I would say you're alright. Especially since you wash it out each night and it sounds like you take good care of your hair. I wouldn't worry about it too much
smile.gif

Thanks ladies. I had posted a thread about how the humidity was killing my hair every day. Adding the use of the hairspray and coconut oil as a leave in to my regimine seems to make my hair humidity resistant and I don't want to give it up if I don't have to...But at the same time it's pointless if it will mess up my progress.

I feel better now.
smile.gif

I suggest Aveda Brilliant hairspray...it has alchohol but its not harsh since all their stuff is plant devrived. It holds up to the humidity pretty well too....Im afraid to use more than a little though, it might do a wonderful job if I used a little more but Im afraid of hard hair.

I think you will be ok with it as long as you continue to wash it out daily.

I use Pantene flexible hold when the style requires a little hold which is not that often being that I don't use gel. I don't. I've had the same bottle for over 2 years.

My hair hates hairspray....alot...
I doubt it will do anything really bad to your hair thoughg as long as you dont turn into an aquanet queen.
laugh.gif

I second the Pantene flexible hold, I used the same bottle for 4 years and just replaced it with Se4bastians shaper hair spray. That really helps me keep the curl on bottom with my wraps. Also I can do the bantu set on dry hair with this spray and it comes out the same as if done on wet hair.

Back