• Not often but I do have a few artists that I listen to

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No, but I see nothing wrong with it if you choose to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's not of God

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I listen to secular music. I use to listen to everything and anything, but I'm starting to filter what I listen to and I prefer

radio edits because they take all the bad words out.

:wave: Hi nerdography ....

Is this true about the radio edits? I'm not saying that you're incorrect, I want to make that clear. :yep:

The reason I'm asking is that I was shopping in the inner city and while browsing through a couple of the stores, there was a local radio station playing on their music system, and the music and the language was appalling! It went beyond cursing and literally spoke about the sex act and it was not clean nor appropriate. :nono: I thought the FCC has strict laws about that foolishness.

I stopped looking through the store's items, as I refused to be subjected to that lewdness. :nono:

I politely made it clear to the store manager that they needed to take care of that immediately, as it was extremely offensive. The manager completely agreed with me, however I've not gone back to that store since. :nono:

:wave: Hi @nerdography ....

Is this true about the radio edits? I'm not saying that you're incorrect, I want to make that clear. :yep:

The reason I'm asking is that I was shopping in the inner city and while browsing through a couple of the stores, there was a local radio station playing on their music system, and the music and the language was appalling! It went beyond cursing and literally spoke about the sex act and it was not clean nor appropriate. :nono: I thought the FCC has strict laws about that foolishness.

I stopped looking through the store's items, as I refused to be subjected to that lewdness. :nono:

I politely made it clear to the store manager that they needed to take care of that immediately, as it was extremely offensive. The manager completely agreed with me, however I've not gone back to that store since. :nono:

Shimmie

Where I live we have two radio stations. One that plays the songs unedited and another one that plays the edited songs.

I think a lot of it depends on where someone lives. But, I agree there are certain songs even with the edits that are still offensive. So, I usually turn off the radio when those songs start. I mainly listen to the instrumentals of songs now anyway as I care more about that than the actual lyrics.

Shimmie

Where I live we have two radio stations. One that plays the songs unedited and another one that plays the edited songs.

I think a lot of it depends on where someone lives. But, I agree there are certain songs even with the edits that are still offensive. So, I usually turn off the radio when those songs start. I mainly listen to the instrumentals of songs now anyway as I care more about that than the actual lyrics.

nerdography...

Thanks for responding. Okay, I get it :yep:

Where I usually shop near home, the music is 'cleaner'. It's either classical, easy listening instrumentals, and sometimes the grocery stores have a mix of 80's, 90's tunes. I won't pretend that I don't know the songs of that time, cause I do. :lol:

For some reason the stores in the inner city are under the impression that these uncensored radio stations represent the community where they are located. I see it as insulting the intelligence of their customers who live in that area. I see the 'artists' who make that type of music are also insulting the intelligence of those who unfortunately are being subjected to it.

Thanks again for clearing this up for me. Take care. :grouphug2:

YES, All secular music is bad, Don't get me wrong when I am out I hear the music I sing to it, before I catch myself. I rock to it, before I catch myself. Sometimes I don't catch myself. But yes its all bad all of it. yet I really like James Taylor and some of the old soft rock music I like how it makes me feel, sometimes the words are all wrong though.

But I catch myself because in all that we do we should be praising the Lord and right now if your not on track it sounds so corny to say that, It sounds so boring if your not spending time in prayer and reading the bible. It sounds like a drag, But after you go through something. After your whole World has been turned upside down. After you lost what you thought was the best thing in your life, All you ever want to do is Praise the Lord he got you through, over and under. But here is the reason why secular music is not healthy. this article is 17 years old.

Music is made up of rhythms. Tones, from which we build melodies and harmonies, are produced by rhythmical vibrations (a certain number of vibrations per second produces a given note). In fact, the first three elements of music-melody, harmony, and tone color-are the result of the arrangement and "quality" of these rhythmical vibrations. What we usually refer to as "rhythm" includes the grouping of tones into "measures" of music, as well as the tempo at which these groupings are played or sung.

An interesting fact that may give us clearer insight as to why music has such power over the human frame is that we are also essentially rhythmical creatures. "There is rhythm in respiration, heartbeat, speech, gait, etc. The cerebral hemispheres are in a perpetual state of rhythmical swing day and night."*

Since both music and man are rhythmical, it is not difficult to understand why a person exposed to music begins to assimilate its beats. This is demonstrated when a person begins tapping the feet or exhibiting some kind of body movement in response to music. Thus, the body automatically alters its own rhythms to synchronize with the outside stimuli.

What is actually happening within the body is that "sound vibrations acting upon and through the nervous systems give shocks in rhythmical sequence to the muscles, which cause them to contract and set our arms and hands, legs and feet in motion. On account of this automatic muscular reaction, many people make some movement when hearing music."* It is because of this automatic rhythm emulation that music can alter us physically, mentally, and emotionally. The critical question, then, is which types of music or what part of music reacts adversely with our body functions and brings about these changes?

In 1987, scientists conducted a series of experiments to find out what kinds of music would be harmonious to body rhythms and what kinds would not. They divided 36 newborn mice into three groups: the control group, which was not exposed to music; the harmonic* group, which was exposed to simple classical music; and the disharmonic* group, which was exposed to disharmonic rhythms typical of rock music.

For two months, the harmonic and disharmonic groups were exposed to music night and day. After these two months, 12 mice-four from each group-were sacrificed and their brains were properly prepared and frozen for later study.

Next, the other 24 mice were exposed to three weeks of maze "training." Then they were given three weeks of rest, during which time no testing or maze reinforcement occurred. Finally, the mice were exposed to another three weeks of maze training to establish their degree of learning retention. Throughout this process, behavior changes and discrepancies were carefully noted. At the conclusion of the maze training, these 24 mice were sacrificed and their brains were studied along with those of the previous 12 mice.

The results of the study were sobering. The mice of the control and harmonic groups were very similar; no significant differences appeared. However, the disharmonic group showed a significant decrease in learning retention/memory, hyperactivity, and aggression. (During the three-month preliminary testing, some of the mice exposed to the disharmonic music resorted to cannibalism.) Some mice in the disharmonic group experienced lethargy and inattentiveness, while all experienced significant brain alterations.

Because of the nature of the study and the particular animals chosen for the experiment, we have every reason to believe that these same results occur in humans. This means that the rhythms typical of rock music are the main culprits: "disharmonic" music causes brain damage and behavior degradation. It is interesting to note that these behavioral changes are easily observable at any rock concert, as I mentioned earlier in the description of the Michael Jackson concert in Bucharest.

An added problem of rock music is the words of each song, which penetrate with force and seek to seduce the hearer. Once the person is mentally disoriented, the mind is then open to whatever suggestions the words may carry, whether it be sex, drugs, suicide, violence, abandonment, or even religion.

Because of the dangers inherent in this now-American legacy, it is important for Christians to guard themselves from its effects. We should learn to adjust our taste in music to that which is a melodic, purely "harmonic" style of music. In this style, the rhythmic groupings will always be very loyal to the naturally accented beats of the time signature (i.e., in 4/4 time, the first and third beats of the measure).

On the other hand, disharmonic music can most quickly be identified by its "swing" beat or syncopation, which moves the hearer away from the naturally emphasized beats (i.e., it emphasizes the second and fourth beats in a measure with 4/4 time). This off-beat syncopation tends to cause a side-to-side movement in the listener's body, thus distinguishing it as "dance" music. This side-to-side movement is a "telltale" sign that music has had a disorienting effect on the listener's body rhythms.

Because music enters directly into the autonomic nervous system, thus bypassing the master brain, the only time one can choose what happens to his body is before he listens to the music. Let's make those choices count on the side of healthy bodies and sound minds.

When I'm working out no gospel is going to give me that drive I need, I have tried and it doesn't work.

My man Toby Mac has some songs that I have on my workout list.
I have Irene and Made to Love on my gym playlist.

I love to make a joyful noise. Lots of secular music is fine (to me) for that. India Arie's work are examples of secular songs that have positive messages.

Edit: Miley Cyrus' The Climb is the anthem for my Weight Loss Journey. That secular song has been quite a blessing.

The song that most bothers me on my playlist is actually a christian song. I heard it played in Spin Class and added it to my playlist. It had this nice refrain "I've been talking to Jesus all my life!"

I really dug that song until I got it on my playlist and really listened to the lyrics. It is by a Christian Rock band, but it's actually about a false prophet/preacher. Heh. That one threw me off. I don't use that one anymore.

Last edited:
blazingthru said:
This article is 17 years old...

Music is made up of rhythms. Tones, from which we build melodies and harmonies, are produced by rhythmical vibrations (a certain number of vibrations per second produces a given note). In fact, the first three elements of music-melody, harmony, and tone color-are the result of the arrangement and "quality" of these rhythmical vibrations. What we usually refer to as "rhythm" includes the grouping of tones into "measures" of music, as well as the tempo at which these groupings are played or sung.

An interesting fact that may give us clearer insight as to why music has such power over the human frame is that we are also essentially rhythmical creatures. "There is rhythm in respiration, heartbeat, speech, gait, etc. The cerebral hemispheres are in a perpetual state of rhythmical swing day and night."*

Since both music and man are rhythmical, it is not difficult to understand why a person exposed to music begins to assimilate its beats. This is demonstrated when a person begins tapping the feet or exhibiting some kind of body movement in response to music. Thus, the body automatically alters its own rhythms to synchronize with the outside stimuli.

What is actually happening within the body is that "sound vibrations acting upon and through the nervous systems give shocks in rhythmical sequence to the muscles, which cause them to contract and set our arms and hands, legs and feet in motion. On account of this automatic muscular reaction, many people make some movement when hearing music."* It is because of this automatic rhythm emulation that music can alter us physically, mentally, and emotionally. The critical question, then, is which types of music or what part of music reacts adversely with our body functions and brings about these changes?

In 1987, scientists conducted a series of experiments to find out what kinds of music would be harmonious to body rhythms and what kinds would not. They divided 36 newborn mice into three groups: the control group, which was not exposed to music; the harmonic* group, which was exposed to simple classical music; and the disharmonic* group, which was exposed to disharmonic rhythms typical of rock music.

For two months, the harmonic and disharmonic groups were exposed to music night and day. After these two months, 12 mice-four from each group-were sacrificed and their brains were properly prepared and frozen for later study.

Next, the other 24 mice were exposed to three weeks of maze "training." Then they were given three weeks of rest, during which time no testing or maze reinforcement occurred. Finally, the mice were exposed to another three weeks of maze training to establish their degree of learning retention. Throughout this process, behavior changes and discrepancies were carefully noted. At the conclusion of the maze training, these 24 mice were sacrificed and their brains were studied along with those of the previous 12 mice.

The results of the study were sobering. The mice of the control and harmonic groups were very similar; no significant differences appeared. However, the disharmonic group showed a significant decrease in learning retention/memory, hyperactivity, and aggression. (During the three-month preliminary testing, some of the mice exposed to the disharmonic music resorted to cannibalism.) Some mice in the disharmonic group experienced lethargy and inattentiveness, while all experienced significant brain alterations.

Because of the nature of the study and the particular animals chosen for the experiment, we have every reason to believe that these same results occur in humans. This means that the rhythms typical of rock music are the main culprits: "disharmonic" music causes brain damage and behavior degradation. It is interesting to note that these behavioral changes are easily observable at any rock concert, as I mentioned earlier in the description of the Michael Jackson concert in Bucharest.

An added problem of rock music is the words of each song, which penetrate with force and seek to seduce the hearer. Once the person is mentally disoriented, the mind is then open to whatever suggestions the words may carry, whether it be sex, drugs, suicide, violence, abandonment, or even religion.

Because of the dangers inherent in this now-American legacy, it is important for Christians to guard themselves from its effects. We should learn to adjust our taste in music to that which is a melodic, purely "harmonic" style of music. In this style, the rhythmic groupings will always be very loyal to the naturally accented beats of the time signature (i.e., in 4/4 time, the first and third beats of the measure).

On the other hand, disharmonic music can most quickly be identified by its "swing" beat or syncopation, which moves the hearer away from the naturally emphasized beats (i.e., it emphasizes the second and fourth beats in a measure with 4/4 time). This off-beat syncopation tends to cause a side-to-side movement in the listener's body, thus distinguishing it as "dance" music. This side-to-side movement is a "telltale" sign that music has had a disorienting effect on the listener's body rhythms.

Because music enters directly into the autonomic nervous system, thus bypassing the master brain, the only time one can choose what happens to his body is before he listens to the music. Let's make those choices count on the side of healthy bodies and sound minds.

:wave: Hi Blaz... I have to 'conquer' with the scientific experiment. Great article. :up: I've been educated on something. :yep:

Last edited:
I listen to some secular music. I do filter. Most times I just can't bear to listen to all that sex, kill, gangsta, or whatever....may be I'm just getting old. I do listen to old school music like Frankie Beverly and Maze, Earth Wind, and Fire, but that's because when I was little, me and my mom and dad and siblings used to all dance together to it....so it brings back very happy memories of my childhood....Some people think even that is demonic, but that music takes me to a very very positive place.....Music like Maxwell makes me think of my husband, again, a very happy place......I listen to ALL genre's of Christian music (Hymns, spirituals, alternative, rock, rap, new and old traditional) but not all of it. There is some Christian music---new and old just doesn't do it for me....

I like classical too because its such pure beauty in its complexity. You may not hear the name of the Lord in it, but only God can create something so beautiful and complex as classical music.

I can see how some music can conjure up lust, and violence, and if I hear something like that I just move on...

99% of the time my radio is turned to NPR....

I think it really depends on you as a person. If you have been in a bad place and certain music takes you back there, you should stop listening to it. If certain music encourages other feelings in you, then you should stay away from that.

I do not listen to music that talks about murder, drug use, fornication, etc. Secular music that I find inspirational, or love songs, or songs about dancing, having fun, friendship, etc. I have no problem with.

It takes a little more work to filter out those songs on Pandora or make playlists with only appropriate music. I stopped listening to the radio because there is no way to filter it. Even with edited versions the message is still there so I choose not to listen.

I do listen to jazz and classical music. It isn't connected to any memories for me so I don't have a problem with that.

FoxxyLocs:

I totally 1000% agree.

I listen to some secular music. I do filter. Most times I just can't bear to listen to all that sex, kill, gangsta, or whatever....may be I'm just getting old.

I do listen to old school music like Frankie Beverly and Maze, Earth Wind, and Fire, but that's because when I was little, me and my mom and dad and siblings used to all dance together to it....so it brings back very happy memories of my childhood....

Some people think even that is demonic, but that music takes me to a very very positive place.....Music like Maxwell makes me think of my husband, again, a very happy place......I listen to ALL genre's of Christian music (Hymns, spirituals, alternative, rock, rap, new and old traditional) but not all of it. There is some Christian music---new and old just doesn't do it for me....

I like classical too because its such pure beauty in its complexity. You may not hear the name of the Lord in it, but only God can create something so beautiful and complex as classical music.

I can see how some music can conjure up lust, and violence, and if I hear something like that I just move on...

99% of the time my radio is turned to NPR....

I love your post. I have many happy family memories with music as well. When you mentioned Frankie Beverly and Maze, it brings a beautiful memory of my former brother in law, who has a beautiful gift in singing. Both he and his brother used to sing, (harmonize) those songs which never seem to disappear from good family times. These two men and my Dad looked out for me and my children during a very hard time. These songs would come on the radio and the family would just become family, singing and dancing.

Also the Classical music is another family memory with my grandparents and my aunt; as a child in New York, I was surrounded by the Arts because of them, and the music concerts, dancing was a big part of family sharing, a huge part of my developing life as a child.

naturalgyrl5199 ... :kiss: I thank you for sharing this post. It's just as you said, only God could create something so beautiful and complex as classical music...

Happy Celebration to you and your loved ones ... the celebration of Jesus' Resurrection, His outpouring of His great love for us... saving us from sin and eternal separation from Him.

God bless you.

Last edited:
I know this wont be a popular opinion :look:, but I dont listen to any secular music. It just dont glorify God. I teach Sunday school and I taught a lesson to my class about this topic. Alot of the secular music is about lusts, cares of this world, pride, fame etc. It doesn't edify you or bring you closer to God in anyway. The bibles he who is a friend of the world is an enemy of God. Alot of these songs promotes wordliness and ungodliness. The bible says to be carnally (fleshy,earthly) minded is death but spiritual mindedness brings life and peace. These songs dont get you in "spiritual" state of mind or cause you to meditate on God.
But this is just my 2 cents.

LucieLoo12 do you listen to classical music or instrumentals? 90% of the secular music i listen to doesn't have words.

brg240

I just don't feel like they it glorifies God.The bible speaks about spiritual songs and hymns, in my opinion there is nothing spiritual about them.

Do you feel that they promote worldliness or sin? Or do you just not like them/not interested as they don't bring you closer to God?

brg240 said:
Do you feel that they promote worldliness or sin? Or do you just not like them/not interested as they don't bring you closer to God?

Everything is not going to get you loser to God.... Certain types of Eating is not going to get you closer to God (well, maybe it will if it causes you to expire sooner than expected...lol)....but I SMH when I see a 300 pound Pastor talk About how secular music is Soooo sinful, but he can't put a leash on his gluttony. I tend to look at the big picture. Some people need to NOT listen to secular music, but for some, it may not definitively make you closer to God, but some music brings serenity,peace, relaxation, which are the same feelings I get when I am in deep in prayer or mediation.

A lot of music makes people feel worldly and sinful, but some people listen to it, turn it off, and feel their same old Christian self. They don't feel compelled to cheat, or kill, or abuse, or steal, or be whore-ish.....<-----not a real word..I know....

But I guess it's important to know thyself and do whatever it takes to stay close to God.

Sent from my iPad 2 using LHCF....(thus the typos)

Back