"Interesting" Comment About My Hair Today "

ShiShiPooPoo

I wanted to post this to see what you guys thought. :perplexed

I work in a building where there are alot of naturals. I mean we are rocking our natural do's and we often get together (like meetups) to exchange techniques, products, etc. It is a nice little community in our workplace.

I've been wearing my hair in a braidout this week and received alot of comlpliments on it. Think big and texturized about 5-6 inches from my head. Anyway, one of my coworkers, told me "Don't wear your hair sticking out" next week because we are supposed to be observed by some hoity toity people. I said, "huh"? "sticking out???"

First of all, don't tell me how to wear my hair. I said to her, "OH, I'M GONNA BE ALLLLLLLLL ME REGARDLESS WHO IS COMING, WHERE I AM OR WHATEVER." I know people can be put off by my hair and my general look, which tends to be slightly edgy in a place full of conserves. This woman however, attempted to go natural but changed her mind. I wish I could record the tone because it just reeked of animosity.

So what do you think it was that made her even bring that up? It was like she couldn't wait to say something about my hair. You pop-eyed mullet. I would've been wrong if I said, "Don't wear your EYES sticking out." :nono: RUDE.

So what do you think it was that made her even bring that up? It was like she couldn't wait to say something about my hair. You pop-eyed mullet. I would've been wrong if I said, "Don't wear your EYES sticking out." :nono: RUDE.

:lol::lachen::rofl:

Okay, seriously...if this was not a person with some type of authority over you in the workplace, then I wouldn't have even given it a second thought. She's probably envious. I drool over the women with natural hair in my office, but instead of hating, I compliment them. ETA: I'm relaxed and sometimes I feel self-conscious about braidouts because nobody else wears hair that "big" where I work, even the naturals. But, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

LOL!!! But seriously, I would make sure my hair was "sticking out" even further next just for her!

Whatever!

I would wear a Big 'Ol braidout just for her! AND I'd fluff it extra so it puffed even more! :yep:

I would've laughed hysterically in her face. And I'm talking about the type of laughs which make people feel uncomfortable.

Have me walkin in there froed out with the fist pick yellin:

tumblr_loi8dmHkp11qbkyo1o1_500.gif

Last edited:
:lol::lachen::rofl:

Okay, seriously...if this was not a person with some type of authority over you in the workplace, then I wouldn't have even given it a second thought. She's probably envious. I drool over the women with natural hair in my office, but instead of hating, I compliment them. ETA: I'm relaxed and sometimes I feel self-conscious about braidouts because nobody else wears hair that "big" where I work, even the naturals. But, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

You outta see me when I'm around 12 weeks post! I don't use direct heat, so my kinks, coils, and wirlies are in full force around my hairline and nape. :lol:

I wear my hair like that on purpose. Folks have to get used to seeing our hair like that. If they don't like it, tough! I work in a conservative office, but no one has given me anything but compliments on my hair. They know better....:drunk:

Yep. I'm gonna really kill the braidout tomorrow. Her hair has been at a standstill for 10 years. I've shaved my head bald and 2 years later I have way more length and thickness. Take your pirahna ate up head on somewhere fool.

You outta see me when I'm around 12 weeks post! I don't use direct heat, so my kinks, coils, and wirlies are in full force around my hairline and nape. :lol:

I wear my hair like that on purpose. Folks have to get used to seeing our hair like that. If they don't like it, tough! I work in a conservative office, but no one has given me anything but compliments on my hair. They know better....:drunk:

Excellent point. When people are growing out a dye, they don't do it under daily headbands, etc. They grow it out. Glad you brought that up. If your have new growth and are stretching out a relaxer, that's the look for the time being. Get used to it and KIP!

Um yeah the HR manager always makes comments like I need to comb my hair whenever I wear a twist out etc (in a joking way, even though I know shes really NOT joking, we're both managers and know eachother for a long time) BUT let her say anything officially and I will have every civil and human rights advocate up her a$$

there are also many naturals in my office but most of them have locs and the loose naturals always have their hair in twists/buns ets ... IE "in" styles

Excellent point. When people are growing out a dye, they don't do it under daily headbands, etc. They grow it out. Glad you brought that up. If your have new growth and are stretching out a relaxer, that's the look for the time being. Get used to it and KIP!

I just read that as Keep It Pimpin' :lachen: I might have to start using that even if that's not what you meant.

She was rude and dead wrong for saying it "that way"
But if there really are people coming then she may have been trying to look out for you, jealous or not.
As for you being wrong yep if you would have said something about her eyes you would have been dead wrong just like BUT moreso... Due to the fact that she can't change her eyes. You can change your hair whenever you feel like it.
Also... Sometimes what's big to some is kinda crazy for others she should have just asked nicely if you remembered the people coming

This sounds like another example of black people policing one another about this stuff when the "hoity toity people" could probably care less.

She was rude and dead wrong for saying it "that way"
But if there really are people coming then she may have been trying to look out for you, jealous or not.
As for you being wrong yep if you would have said something about her eyes you would have been dead wrong just like BUT moreso... Due to the fact that she can't change her eyes. You can change your hair whenever you feel like it.
Also... Sometimes what's big to some is kinda crazy for others she should have just asked nicely if you remembered the people coming

I receive this. My pop-eyed rant is just between us here:grin: This person ALWAYS opens mouth inserts foot. It's like she is lacking social skills or common sense. You know she always has something to say. If anything, she could have told me not to wear my nose ring or make sure not to show my tattoo but instead she goes for the hair??????? This is why I don't believe it was genuine concern.

I wanted to post this to see what you guys thought. :perplexed

I work in a building where there are alot of naturals. I mean we are rocking our natural do's and we often get together (like meetups) to exchange techniques, products, etc. It is a nice little community in our workplace.

I've been wearing my hair in a braidout this week and received alot of comlpliments on it. Think big and texturized about 5-6 inches from my head. Anyway, one of my coworkers, told me "Don't wear your hair sticking out" next week because we are supposed to be observed by some hoity toity people. I said, "huh"? "sticking out???"

First of all, don't tell me how to wear my hair. I said to her, "OH, I'M GONNA BE ALLLLLLLLL ME REGARDLESS WHO IS COMING, WHERE I AM OR WHATEVER." I know people can be put off by my hair and my general look, which tends to be slightly edgy in a place full of conserves. This woman however, attempted to go natural but changed her mind. I wish I could record the tone because it just reeked of animosity.

This is very interesting. I just had this conversation with a naturalista who works in corporate America. How did you end up wearing your hair?

I receive this. My pop-eyed rant is just between us here:grin: This person ALWAYS opens mouth inserts foot. It's like she is lacking social skills or common sense. You know she always has something to say. If anything, she could have told me not to wear my nose ring or make sure not to show my tattoo but instead she goes for the hair??????? This is why I don't believe it was genuine concern.

:perplexed

o ok nah you include nose ring and she didn't say anything?
you're right she was royally wrong she ought to get popped in her pop eyes

Back