In need of advice and help

candychild45

Ive been wearing a weave for about 2 -3 months now but for soem reason it seems to be damaging my hair.. (not too sure though). The hair dresser put three tracks into my hair and the style looks great but for some reason my hair looks so much shorter than before I first put them in. I plan on takign the weave out this weekend but Im not too sure what to do to my hair.. Im contemplating getting cornrows done for the next two weeks but am reluctant.. any advice on what i should do or what products to use for a good deep conditioning?

candychild, I'm not sure what you should do??? If it were me, I think I'd leave the weave alone for awhile and do some deep conditioning. I don't think I would do the braids either. Is there some other way you could wear your hair? If your hair is dry - use moisture. If breaking - use protein, then moisture. I think I would choose a style that wouldn't stress my hair for awhile. As far as conditioners, what do you have?

well lets ee, i have ors hair mayo and a conditioner called diez en uno... i also have castor oil whihc i use for a hot oil treatment

Good question Zoya, is your hairdresser sewing them in or using glue? I had heard that stress from the thread that binds the weave to your hair is damaging. But, I'm not sure - for the one weave I had, I used glue. But if you think it's causing damage, leave it alone. If you choose to braid - condition well first. Use the castor oil for your preshampoo treatment and then the ORS mayo to condition. The other conditioner you mentioned, I don't know what kind that is. Make sure you keep your hair moist by spraying daily with a moisturizer or a distilled water mix to keep your braids from becoming dry.

Best to you.

Ladies, any other suggestions???

Its a sew in weave.. I dont use glue in my hair.... im going to take it out tomorrow night and do a hot oil treatment and a deep conditioning and then go ahead a put some conrrows in my hair on sunday to last for about two weeks and see what happens.

The same thing that happened to you has happened to me as well. Several months ago, I would get 4 tracks of sewn-in weave placed in the back for length, with my real hair exposed between the tracks. But after awhile it damaged my hair, especially my kitchen. I'm not exactly sure why it damaged my hair, but maybe it has something to do with the weave and the real hair rubbing against one another. I find that it's best to have either the whole head weaved or if you want just length to have the back completely sewn up with the front exposed. I had to use reconstructors, protein treatments and a good trim to save the health of my hair. HTH

I had that done before for fullness. I learned the hard way too. It's best to get it cornrowed. With the hair being exposed beneath the track there's:

too much tension on your hair. the weave has to be attached onto your hair, you have to brush, comb, blowdry, hot curl, etc.

type of thread used to put in weave

the weave interacting with you hair, the weave will suck al moisture from your own hair

That's a good idea you have to take a break with cornrows, so you can give your hair some tlc, before weaving again

Thanks guys for all your help....zoya , i think you might be right about the tension on my hair..... im thinking about just briading my hair every two weeks and just doing a good deep condtioning in between braiding and continuing to do so for the rest of the summer..... its frustrating though cuz before i put the weave in my hair, it was so healthy and growing so nicely , now back to square one.
frown.gif

Back