I'm TIRED of dealing with my hair..... HELP!!!

thinkpinkprincess

Will someone PLEASE help me, I'm desperado... :sad:

I am sick of dealing with m hair right now. It's time consuming and it consumes my thoughts, too - I've been really struggling with ways to style it and stuff, and I'm trying to avoid heat and stretch but my hair is all frizzy and poofy and just blecch. I've thought about getting micros, but I'm trying to grow out my edges and I'm afraid of the tension micros might cause. I'm a student and this has been a REALLY busy semester, so I need something as LOW MAINTENENCE as possible so I can focus on my future... I also need something that WON"T DAMAGE MY HAIR, and will help it thrive. I thought about sew-ins too, but they feel heavy on my head and look fake and I need something that looks NATURAL, PRETTY, and PROFESSIONAL. If you could recommend some styles, post some pics, and refer any great hairstylists I will LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :drunk:
Please Please Pleeeeaase help me, I'm desperate and I'm tired of wearing buns!

Well I'm not really sure what you're asking

I mean, if you're tired of dealing with your hair why don't you just buy a wig?
Don't neglect your hair though because it'll just bring you back to square one.

Well I'm not really sure what you're asking

I mean, if you're tired of dealing with your hair why don't you just buy a wig?
Don't neglect your hair though because it'll just bring you back to square one.

I've never worn a wig before, and that would be totally embarrassing... what if it falls off or something? I don't want to be ostracized :perplexed

I wouldn't get micros, but why not just get pencil sized braids and maintain them using the crown and glory method? You can get a lot of growth from it without having to have to deal with your own hair.

I wouldn't get micros, but why not just get pencil sized braids and maintain them using the crown and glory method? You can get a lot of growth from it without having to have to deal with your own hair.

I agree, I would get some professional braids, medium sized.

I've never worn a wig before, and that would be totally embarrassing... what if it falls off or something? I don't want to be ostracized :perplexed

Worn wigs for longer than a year now during my transition. My wigs have never fallen off and I readily tell people it's a wig. Keep your hair beneath the wig braided, clean, moisturized, lightly oiled and your real hair will thrive, appreciating the rest. Go to the BSS and check out the wigs and take a look at the WIG CHALLENGE threads.

I wear wigs sometimes too becuase I get bored with the buns. They have never fallen off, and they look really cute! You should give it a try. I use the 3/4 wig that you leave the front out. I have a hair line and a part, so it blends really well.

If you want to achieve something you have to sacrifice. I am a professional and I go to work everyday with my hair pinned back, or a side bun. It's not my style of choice. Personally I think it looks crazy but I where it with the utmost confidence. You can't tell me that I ain't cute.

A weave would be a good option, a wig is good sometimes you cantake it to a beautician and they will style it for you, and if your hair is long enough a french roll could be another option.

Don't let the hair wear you, you wear the hair. You could rock anything and get away with it because you got it like that.

I can so relate to you. I am in buns and they don't feel too pretty. But, they are working and they are inexpensive. I say if you can afford them, get braids(medium sized) and put them in a ponytail, keep the buns, but wear cute earrings and stuff or cut your hair. Just leave it and let be!

Is it possible that in a wig or a weave you'd neglect or lessen your hair care because you're tired of it? If so, don't go that route. Braids and caring for them using the Crown and Glory method is an excellent low maintainence method. If you choose this route, make sure you remember to care of your hair in braids just as you care for it now, which means washing, conditioning, moisturizing, and a good spray either purchased or homemade. Pencil or box braids will give you a bit of a break - but make sure you're still on your hair care game.

Ultimately, hair care requires consistent effort on your part. The work is well worth the effort, but it is work nonetheless. I understand being tired of living in bun city, but you have to decide what you want most.

OK, every time people share their fear of braids, not necessarily micros, the hairline or edges is always where they worry they will lose hair. I keep suggesting not adding any hair and wearing your own hair as bangs...and yet the fear keeps being posted. :look: Y'all making me feel like I should start my own thread asking if I look crazy with bangs and braids. :giggle: But nah, like Hurricane, you can't tell me I wasn't cute with my bangs! Alternatively, you could do mini cornrows about an inch long so that the extension hair isn't added at the hairline but a little far back. Just a couple of thoughts.

I also agree with the wig suggestion. I think that would be the easiest way to go. Stop fretting about the wig falling off. I'm sure there are about 30% of women wearing wigs, falls, phony puff/ponies...around town and none of them are falling off.

Good idea Nonie - I will take your advice when I braid for the summer.

I think it's really important to remember that whether braids or weaves or wig, hair care must still happen consistently, or problems will ensue.

OK, every time people share their fear of braids, not necessarily micros, the hairline or edges is always where they worry they will lose hair. I keep suggesting not adding any hair and wearing your own hair as bangs...and yet the fear keeps being posted. :look: Y'all making me feel like I should start my own thread asking if I look crazy with bangs and braids. :giggle: But nah, like Hurricane, you can't tell me I wasn't cute with my bangs! Alternatively, you could do mini cornrows about an inch long so that the extension hair isn't added at the hairline but a little far back. Just a couple of thoughts.

I also agree with the wig suggestion. I think that would be the easiest way to go. Stop fretting about the wig falling off. I'm sure there are about 30% of women wearing wigs, falls, phony puff/ponies...around town and none of them are falling off.

I agree with the braids. I just braid w/o fake hair, w/ just my hair and leave out my bangs. I'm also a student

Do you have a pic of your braids with bangs?

Do you have a pic of your braids with bangs?

I have a picture but only the bangs show (I didn't have a good cam back then). God willing I will be able to afford some hair in the near future so I can braid my hair again, and then I'll take clear pics. But here are examples of the suggestions I was making:

Originally I had all my hair in extensions:
StraightMicroBraidsApril2007-vi.jpg

But I decided to give the front a rest and took the extension off and just twisted my own hair:
Picture26-vi.jpg

I previously had my own hair braided but preferred the look of twists much more so I would twist the front while the rest was in extension braids. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the braids of my own hair at the front, but below I had just taken them out to twist my hair instead. I never wore it with the front out. I'm all for uniformity or sth close so I took this pic just to record the many faces of my hair, not because I was going to wear it like that. But you can see I still had extensions in the back:
Picture204-vi.jpg

And then when I talked about mini-cornrows, I meant doing something like this--extensions are added only at the end of the cornrow, so no extension weight is exerted at the hairline:
MinicornrowsIIIMicro-vi.jpg

niCornrowsnoextensionsMicrosvi-vi.jpg

MiniCornrowsIIMicros-vi.jpg

Back