I'M STEAMING MAD....

p31woman

I took my twists down on Friday and made an appointment with my stylist to get my infamous sew-in again.

Now I was already a little leary of him because I feel like he doesn't care about the health of the hair as much as the stlye and look of it.

He proceeded to wash my hair(with some shampoo...I think it was Quantum?) He sits me up and begins to towel dry my hair. Then he tells me to follow him to the dryers...NO CONDITIONER...NO NOTHING!!:eek: ! Mind u I had JUST taken my braids out in the salon. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to insult him.

So I'm under the dryer and once I'm done he sits me in his chair and begins to part my hair and braid it....NO MOISTURIZER...NO NOTHING!!:eek:

So now i'm pissed because I have no conditioner and no moisturizer on my hair and I'm soo afraid of the breakage I will see when these braids come out. Come to think of it...He has NEVER put moisturizer on my hair...It always that hair gloss OR Kemi Oil, but thats only after the braids are in. This is probably why my hair breaks off so much when he takes it down.

Needless to say I'm mad and that will probably be the last time he does my hair!!!

p31woman said:
I took my twists down on Friday and made an appointment with my stylist to get my infamous sew-in again.

Now I was already a little leary of him because I feel like he doesn't care about the health of the hair as much as the stlye and look of it.

He proceeded to wash my hair(with some shampoo...I think it was Quantum?) He sits me up and begins to towel dry my hair. Then he tells me to follow him to the dryers...NO CONDITIONER...NO NOTHING!!:eek: ! Mind u I had JUST taken my braids out in the salon. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to insult him.

So I'm under the dryer and once I'm done he sits me in his chair and begins to part my hair and braid it....NO MOISTURIZER...NO NOTHING!!:eek:

So now i'm pissed because I have no conditioner and no moisturizer on my hair and I'm soo afraid of the breakage I will see when these braids come out. Come to think of it...He has NEVER put moisturizer on my hair...It always that hair gloss OR Kemi Oil, but thats only after the braids are in. This is probably why my hair breaks off so much when he takes it down.

Needless to say I'm mad and that will probably be the last time he does my hair!!!

I'm so not trying to be rude, but I've never understood why people don't speak up when getting services. If something is wrong you gotta say something - otherwise you will be mad or upset - like you are.... Insulting nothing, shoot, you gettin' my money and not properly taking care of my hair....

JLove74 said:
I'm so not trying to be rude, but I've never understood why people don't speak up when getting services. If something is wrong you gotta say something - otherwise you will be mad or upset - like you are.... Insulting nothing, shoot, you gettin' my money and not properly taking care of my hair....

That's not rude at all. I am VERY upset with myself for not saying anything then. I think I'm more upset with myself than him. The funny thing is while it was happening I was thinking, "Man, I can't wait to tell the ladies on LHCF"

I really wanted to say something, but my "gangsta" is newly acquired so it tends to fluctuate...:lol:

p31woman said:
That's not rude at all. I am VERY upset with myself for not saying anything then. I think I'm more upset with myself than him. The funny thing is while it was happening I was thinking, "Man, I can't wait to tell the ladies on LHCF"

I really wanted to say something, but my "gangsta" is newly acquired so it tends to fluctuate...:lol:

:lachen: :lachen: Newly acquired Gangsta....thanks for the morning laugh

The one thing I've learned in life is to speak up when something isn't right. I'm sure you didn't want to get him upset, but this is your hair and if you are trying to get it healthy and he doesn't care, you are PAYING him to do it and therefore, since its a service, you should get what you pay for.

It may be a little to late now, but in the near future, don't be afraid to speak your mind to anyone (about your hair of course). Let them know how you feel about what's going on with your hair and how you want them to treat it. If they don't want to treat you the way your treat yourself, then move on to someone else. Just that easy.

Sorry for you feeling bad though. I can only imagine how you feel. Maybe you can saturate your hair with some moisturizing conditioners and then some good oil and sit under a dryer or something. At least you will feel better knowing that something is happening to your hair even in braids.

Here's a

Nice & Wavy said:
The one thing I've learned in life is to speak up when something isn't right. I'm sure you didn't want to get him upset, but this is your hair and if you are trying to get it healthy and he doesn't care, you are PAYING him to do it and therefore, since its a service, you should get what you pay for.

It may be a little to late now, but in the near future, don't be afraid to speak your mind to anyone (about your hair of course). Let them know how you feel about what's going on with your hair and how you want them to treat it. If they don't want to treat you the way your treat yourself, then move on to someone else. Just that easy.

Sorry for you feeling bad though. I can only imagine how you feel. Maybe you can saturate your hair with some moisturizing conditioners and then some good oil and sit under a dryer or something. At least you will feel better knowing that something is happening to your hair even in braids.

Here's a

[URL="http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZGzeb001YYUS"]http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZGzeb001YYUS[/URL]

That's exactly what I did. When I got home, I co washed it and deep conditioned it for about an hr. Hopefully that will curb some of the damage.

I do have a question though...
Has anyone ever heard or seen a stylist do this? It seems to go aganist EVERYTHING? I can't even think of why he didn't condition or moisturize the hair.

p31woman said:
That's exactly what I did. When I got home, I co washed it and deep conditioned it for about an hr. Hopefully that will curb some of the damage.

I do have a question though...
Has anyone ever heard or seen a stylist do this? It seems to go aganist EVERYTHING? I can't even think of why he didn't condition or moisturize the hair.

When I was in my early 20's, I had a stylist who did this. She never conditioned my hair. It was an extra service and I didn't yet realize that you should really condition after washing your hair.

i can understand why you would be upset....but yes you shouldve spoken up...

but this is also anotha reason why i do this before i get to the salon if i know im going to get braids or extensions...i wash and deep condition my hair before i get any kind of braids or extensions done...and most of the time i havent met a stylist yet that insists on doing it before they do my hair with braids and extensions....and most of the time they will ask me if i have washed my hair prior to coming...once i say yes that i have then they go from there and start braiding or doing the weaving process....maybe then i would worry and wonder about them because they are taking the word of other clients too u know....but i kind of happy that it is that way because at least i get to use whatever shampoos and deep condition really well before i get any service with braids and extensions....

I THINK THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH ME.

Because I really wasn't paying attention before and because I really didn't know anything about healthy hair care, I didn't notice the problem.

bluediamond0829 said:
i can understand why you would be upset....but yes you shouldve spoken up...

but this is also anotha reason why i do this before i get to the salon if i know im going to get braids or extensions...i wash and deep condition my hair before i get any kind of braids or extensions done...and most of the time i havent met a stylist yet that insists on doing it before they do my hair with braids and extensions....and most of the time they will ask me if i have washed my hair prior to coming...once i say yes that i have then they go from there and start braiding or doing the weaving process....maybe then i would worry and wonder about them because they are taking the word of other clients too u know....but i kind of happy that it is that way because at least i get to use whatever shampoos and deep condition really well before i get any service with braids and extensions....

That was my plan all long but I got off of work later than expected and didn't have time to go home and do it myself. Even still, I shouldn't even have to do that! oh well, everything is a learning experience right?

shocol said:
When I was in my early 20's, I had a stylist who did this. She never conditioned my hair. It was an extra service and I didn't yet realize that you should really condition after washing your hair.

Same here. It was a difference service and cost $15.00 :eek:

p31woman said:

You already knew that you were not placing your hair in good hands, so although he didn't follow good practices, I can't really blame him for your bad experience.

p31woman said:
That was my plan all long but I got off of work later than expected and didn't have time to go home and do it myself. Even still, I shouldn't even have to do that! oh well, everything is a learning experience right?

Yes! By coming to the board with your experience, you have also allowed others to indirectly learn as well.

p31woman said:

Ok ... maybe I don't understand what you are complaining about- in your own words:

Your stylist did the SAME things to your hair that he always does, you said NOTHING, and you may go back to him!:confused:

Should he read your mind? Are you paying him, so why should his feelings be hurt?

I'm not getting your post :confused:

I feel your pain. I once went to a highly recommended african braiding salon while I was transitioning in early 2002. The new growth was too much for me to manage and I didn't want to risk damaging it.

I had washed my hair and put it in cornrows going straight back to dry. When I sat in the lady's chair, she began picking out my cornrows with a metal duckbill clip!!! I could just feel the damage and hear my hair crying out, but I didn't say anything. That was the last time I went to her, and the last time I didn't speak up when I didn't like what a stylist did with my hair.

Think about whether you want to go back to him or find somebody else.

Keep moisturizing and good luck!

CurliDiva said:
Ok ... maybe I don't understand what you are complaining about- in your own words:

Your stylist did the SAME things to your hair that he always does, you said NOTHING, and you may go back to him!:confused:

Should he read your mind? Are you paying him, so why should his feelings be hurt?

I'm not getting your post :confused:

OK...:look:

Before my experience on LHCF, I didn't know the slightest thing about PROPER haircare, so when he was doing my hair for the past 12 or 13 years, I didn't notice his slight. It was not until I became aquainted with the proper care methods that I noticed that there was a problem. The only problem that I recalled at that time was that he would perm my entire head of hair and leave it in entirely too long. I only went to him when I needed a perm, and he always deep conditioned me then so I didn't think that he wouldn't condition me this time.

Now because I had been a client of his for so long, a bond grew from that relationship, so I felt I would give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what he did before I announced my ideas on his methods to him and the rest of his clients that were present in the room.

The reason I went back to him this last time was because my twists were threw and I had an interview later this week and I prefered to not have my braids looking a mess for the interview. Because I didn't have the time to find a new stylist, and because the style of my sew-ins always turned out great, I decided to just let him do it. I felt it would be fine because I wasn't getting a perm and I didn't fathom his skipping things that seemed so fundamental. I talked to him previously and told him that I had made the decision to go natural and he agreed that he would work with me and my hair through that journey.

Now maybe my words were misunderstood but I will not be going back to him. My sole purpose for posting my experience was to make sure other newbies paid close attention to what their stylists did to their hair and hopefully they would speak up about improper care after hearing my experience. I do realize that my experience could have been prevented...but like I stated earlier...everything is a learning experience.

Last edited:
Dearlove said:
I feel your pain. I once went to a highly recommended african braiding salon while I was transitioning in early 2002. The new growth was too much for me to manage and I didn't want to risk damaging it.

I had washed my hair and put it in cornrows going straight back to dry. When I sat in the lady's chair, she began picking out my cornrows with a metal duckbill clip!!! I could just feel the damage and hear my hair crying out, but I didn't say anything. That was the last time I went to her, and the last time I didn't speak up when I didn't like what a stylist did with my hair.

Think about whether you want to go back to him or find somebody else.

Keep moisturizing and good luck!

Thanks dearlove!!

If he does a beautiful sew-in I would continue to go to him so long as I have the time to do the deep con and moisturizing ahead of time. Most people are good at one thing or the other, just don't count on him to do a good condition ahead of time. Does he do a good job otherwise with regard to his process? Before you go next time let him know you need him to deep con and moisturize ahead of time and see what he says. Then I'd take it from there. I bet most of his clients could care less about the condition of their hair underneath so long as the weave looks good. Is he aware of your goals? I just think you need to have a conversation with him before switching, especially if you like his work. I mean in real life (not LHCF) most women are weaving for style not protection.

ETA: Oops we posted around the same time. I see you answered some of my questions. Good luck. Sounds like you've outgrown him and he lacks the skills and care you need.

Last edited:
hopeful said:
If he does a beautiful sew-in I would continue to go to him so long as I have the time to do the deep con and moisturizing ahead of time. Most people are good at one thing or the other, just don't count on him to do a good condition ahead of time. Does he do a good job otherwise with regard to his process? Before you go next time let him know you need him to deep con and moisturize ahead of time and see what he says. Then I'd take it from there. I bet most of his clients could care less about the condition of their hair underneath so long as the weave looks good. Is he aware of your goals? I just think you need to have a conversation with him before switching, especially if you like his work. I mean in real life (not LHCF) most women are weaving for style not protection.

He really does do an excellent job. I look at women I see on the street with sew-ins and I often thank God he can do such a good job. But you are right, most people are great at one thing or the other. I have been recommended to other stylist in the area but when I see their work...I run back to him.

I did think about washing and conditioning it myself though...I am gonna try a little harder to find a stylist that can care for the hair as well as do as good of a job, if not better, on my sew-ins than he did. Pray for me on my quest!

p31woman said:
He really does do an excellent job. I look at women I see on the street with sew-ins and I often thank God he can do such a good job. But you are right, most people are great at one thing or the other. I have been recommended to other stylist in the area but when I see their work...I run back to him.

I did think about washing and conditioning it myself though...I am gonna try a little harder to find a stylist that can care for the hair as well as do as good of a job, if not better, on my sew-ins than he did. Pray for me on my quest!

Prayer sent up!:) ;) Good luck with your transition.

p31woman said:
I've had bad salon experiences in my day so I completely sympathize with you. Now that you know better, you can take your hair health into your own hands.

I suggest you take the time to wash, condition, and detangle your hair yourself and continue to let him style it. Also as you stated a bond exists between the two of you so talk to him!

Good luck next time whatever you decide and keep us posted.

ETA: Hopeful said pretty much the same thing. Sorry to be repetitive.

Last edited:
Miss*Tress said:
I've had bad salon experiences in my day so I completely sympathize with you. Now that you know better, you can take your hair health into your own hands.

I suggest you take the time to wash, condition, and detangle your hair yourself and continue to let him style it. Also as you stated a bond exists between the two of you so talk to him!

Good luck next time whatever you decide and keep us posted.

ETA: Hopeful said pretty much the same thing. Sorry to be repetitive.

Thank you Miss*Tress!:) I will keep you posted!!

shocol said:
Where did she get her cosmo license? The DMV???? :mad::mad:

SORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPEND I WASH AND DEEP CON AND DO EVERY THING AND TAKE MY TRIPLE GRO WHEN I GET MY HAIR BRAID BECAUSE IF NOT THEY WILL USE SOMETING SHE HAVE IN A JAR IN MY HAIR I DONOT ASK WHAT IT IS I JUST PULL OUT MY OWN:lol: GOOD LUCK

I am sorry to hear of your experience. Sometimes this is what it takes for us to step up and speak our minds. I can think of countless dissapointing hair experiences, where the stylist cut off too much, or did not do exactly what I wanted because I did not speak up.

After venting about it afterwards, each and every time, I now have learned to demand what I want when I sit in the chair.

What am I saying? I can understand how you may not have said anything but I am sure if the situation presents itself again, I'll bet some sylist will hear an ear full in the future.

Personally, I feel when you go to a stylist, you expect a certian level of service. I dont feel that you should *have* to tell them. We should be able to close our eyes, sit back and relax.

Good luck!

Hi p31! :wave:

If he does everything else well, I don't see a problem with politely requesting a deep conditioner and reconstructor. No blow to his ego or reputation, it is reasonable and within the protocol. Something like, "Give me a deep conditioner this time," or, "What kind of deep conditioners do you have?"

Don't even bother to wonder why he didn't do it in the first place. To me, that's a waste of time. I have gone to the dominicans and they do exactly what i tell them to, no more, no less. Other salons itemize each service, so hey, it is what it is, I just make it what I want it to be. HTH! HHG!

Hmm...I've learned you have to speak up in the salon. I was always very shy about telling stylists what I wanted, and 95% of the time I left the salon unahppy. Now, I just let them know what's up on the phone when I make my appointment and I say it again once I'm in the chair.

Since, I've been speaking up I'm much happier with the results. You're paying for this service. You should have what you want.

Chayil

SerenityBreeze said:
I am sorry to hear of your experience. Sometimes this is what it takes for us to step up and speak our minds. I can think of countless dissapointing hair experiences, where the stylist cut off too much, or did not do exactly what I wanted because I did not speak up.

After venting about it afterwards, each and every time, I now have learned to demand what I want when I sit in the chair.

What am I saying? I can understand how you may not have said anything but I am sure if the situation presents itself again, I'll bet some sylist will hear an ear full in the future.

Personally, I feel when you go to a stylist, you expect a certian level of service. I dont feel that you should *have* to tell them. We should be able to close our eyes, sit back and relax.

Good luck!
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I can understand her not saying anything for fear of not wanting to insult her stylist. This has happened to me before so I can totally feel where shes coming from.

Back