I'M READY TO BC BUT...HOW DO I GO ABOUT IT?

chocolatetresses

OK! i'M SOOO READY TO BC:lick:. I'VE BEEN TRANSITIONING FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND 1 MONTH AND I'M VERY COMFY WITH THE LENGTH OF MY NEW GROWTH:yep: AND READY TO CHOP THESE RELAXED ENDS OFF. I WAS CONSIDERING GOING TO MY STYLIST (SHE'S BEEN DOING MY HAIR SINCE I WAS 5, I'M 18 NOW...DO THE MATH LOL) IT'S FUNNY B/C SHE WAS THE ONE WHO TALKED ME INTO THE NATURAL THING AND TO STOP GETTING RELAXERS BUT ANYWHO BACK ON TOPIC...I WOULD GO TO HER BUT FUNDS ARE LOW. I WANT TO BC MYSELF BUT I DON'T WANNA SCREW IT UP. I KNOW WHAT I NEED (CONDISH, CLIPS AND SHEARS) BUT HOW DO I BC W/O MESSING UP THE SHAPE OR WHATNOT? ARE THEIR ANY LINKS OUT THERE THAT CAN SHOW ME HOW TO BC OR SOMETING? PLEASE HELP LADIES!:drunk:

I think you should section your hair off into parts and cut the relaxed ends off piece by piece. You'll be able to shape it afterwards. Good luck:rolleyes:

check out southerntease's blog - mane & chic - she did her own bc and did a video (also on youtube). I personally just cut off the straight ends and worried about the shape afterwards. But I had no plan and I am sure that I will have to trim at some point to make up for that.

Best of luck!

gHey!! COngrats on your decision. I did the BC for New Years. I just sectioned my hair, wet it and added moisturizer. THEN...I used my denman brush to comb through to see the line of demarcation. I then clipped the ends off. I did this until all visible straight ends were gone. Then i washed. At this point i was able to see a few more straight ends and i clipped. Even today i see a few more. Nothing major. Its just that everytime my hair is in a different style it allows me to see more. ANywhoo, it was free and i didn't cut more than i needed (like some heavy handed stylist do).

Hope that helped

Oh, my hair is shaped the way it is naturally. I didn't want to cut more than I needed.

Last edited:
Girl I don't have much advice 4 u. All I did was sit infront of the mirror w/ dry hair and hack it off then wet my hair and clip off the rest resulting in 1.5" of natural hair. I never went to the salon or barber after. I just let it grow. But goodluck with the BC.

I just got my Husband clippers and went to clipping,on slightly damp hair, then washed, but sometimes you will have those straight pieces when you first BC, I just clipped them off every so often.

Congrats on completing your transition! I agree with those that said work with small sections, concentrate on clipping off the relaxed ends, right above the line of demarcation, and then worry about shape afterwards.

Have fun with it. When your funds recover, you'll be able to treat yourself to a new haircut if you like. I can't wait till it's time for me to BC. Be sure to post pics.

i would NOT go to a pro -- there's something LIBERATING about doing your own bc. i grabbed my mom and some scissors and she cut off all the straight parts after i wet my hair in the shower. like someone else said, you will see more straight pieces later on, and you can choose to cut them or keep em. i didnt worry about the shape, and even when i straightened a month or so later it wasnt lopsided or anything.

Congrats on your decision! I completely agree that it is so liberating to BC. I was very hesitant at first when cutting off my straight ends t first so I just started off with little snips here and there until I felt comfortable enough to cut closer to my NG. I tested out a few pieces of my hair by completely chopping off my straight strands and fell in love with how my hair looked with just NG so I just went for it and chopped away. It felt so good releasing myself of my relaxed hair and gave me the motivation I needed to stick with the transition. I was experiencing a problem with tangling before I BC but now I can finger comb through my hair. I also noticed a lot of products I didn't care for take to my hair now that I'm not battling 2 textures. I would suggest like many of the other ladies to cut yourself and not to worry about the shape and to cut your hair in sections, wet. The first time I attempted to BC I started from the top and ended up with a lot of straight ends, so I would suggest starting at the bottom and working your way up because when I cut that way I had little to no straight ends less. I didn't have the funds to pay my stylist for my BC and was so happy I didn't because I literally just sat in front of a mirror and chopped away for all of 15 minutes. Good Luck!

when i bc'd i wet my hair in the shower then got in front of the mirror and started cutting. i did the front, crown, and sides myself and had a friend do the back later that day. since i wasn't going to wear my hair out i didn't worry about shaping it up at the time. it's definitely something you can do yourself...jst get a girlfriend to help. when you have the extra cash to get your hair done, all your stylist will have to do is clean up your ends with a light trim.

When i bc'd i took small sections and sprayed each section with water. My hair was texturized so i put a little tension on each section so i could see my new growth better. Then i just cut it where my natural hair meet the processed hair. After cutting my whole head i washed and then got my husband to check out all angles and cut any straight hairs he saw. I had straight spiky peices for a while after bc'ing even though i tried to cut all off....they seemed to just disappear after awhile though!

Good Luck!

I bced in Oct 08. I dampen my hair with water and conditioner. I parted in four sections. I then did individual sections and then begin to cut. Afterwards, I washed and dc than I cut some straight pieces. I still have some straight pieces. I am going to cut them in May 09.

I BC'd December 08 and I just had a friend who was natural do it. Just part the hair, get wet each section and keep a spray bottle on hand for sections as they start to dry. After she was done I did a conditioner wash and I had several straight pieces that popped up but I snipped them with hair shears as I found them.

I never got my hair shaped it is what it is and it looks great. I didnt want to go to a professional because I knew they would cut it shorter than I wanted it. I wanted to keep all my new growth. I suggest getting someone you trust and do it together.

Back