I'm on the Fence...

mw138

I've been reading about some of the natural ladies here at LHCF as well as watching the videos some women with beautiful hair on youtube, and I've been getting the itch to go natural. However, I'm extremely....well, I'll just be honest and say scared! I'm at BSL right now. I'm relaxed, obviously, but thanks to joining LHCF three years ago, my hair is the longest and healthiest it ever been.

I think I'm more nervous about losing what I've worked so hard for. It's been three years since my hair has been at SL. I know I can transition for a long time and don't necessarily have to do the BC, but I still get apprehensive. I'm in a very nice comfort zone with my hair and the thought of starting over, and doing something new, makes me very nervous! :look:

Well sounds like you're not ready to go natural yet. Take your time deciding, there's no pressure :). Much better to take long to weigh the pros an cons rather than making a quick decision and regretting it.

^^^

co-signing with Raspberry - there's no rush, do your research, think about it and if you do decide to take the plunge, you can always transition at your own pace :)

I will just let you know that I NEVER did a BC. Never heard of "transitioning" until I found these hair forums a year ago. I just stopped relaxing. It had been almost two years before I realized I hadn't relaxed my hair (I was doing them myself once a year). At that time my hair was always between (BSL and MBL). So I do understand the apprehension.

I had no issues whatsoever when I transitioned. No breakage, no shedding, nothing. I know people always talk about doing a BC and I think that is a very courageous thing to do. However, I don't feel you have to BC to be "ready" to be natural. You can be ready and not BC. IMHO.

Just wanted to throw that out there to you! Whatever decision you decide to make ensure YOU are making it for yourself and no else. Don't think about what this person said or that person said. That is a sure fire way of making a decision that you aren't going to be happy with in the long run. Much success to you none the less!! :grin:

Don't go natural because everyone else is going natural. Most of the ladies who have transitioned to natural hair do it for personal reasons. If you can say "I don't want relaxed hair any longer because (valid reason here)" then do it. But if you don't have a real reason that you can think of then going natural is not for you. If the length of your hair is more important than actually going natural, then you're not ready. Because most people transition for healthier hair, in your situation length would be more important than the overall health of your hair just to put it in perspective.

I know exactly how you feel. My last relaxer was in August, and I’m not going to make any decisions to relax again until next July. I’ll just see how it goes.

I agree with the other posters, just take your time.

I wouldn't jump into it until I've given it some thought. If you decide that you'd feel more comfortable with a long transition, you're going to have to be fully dedicated to that.

Here is the fotki of someone who had a long transition, and she gives tips
http://members.fotki.com/lifesacatwalk/about/

MissMarie did a VERY long transition, look her up on here and check out her fotki if you haven't already!

I would take as long as you need to make your decision, in the meantime, enjoy your fantastic achievement of reaching BSL. I wish you lots of luck in whatever decision you reach and lastly, you have the knowledge of healthy hair practices therefore you will have beautiful healthy hair whether it be natural or relaxed.

ITA with eveyone else. Definetly take your time...natural will be there should you make the decision to go that route. If not, healthy relaxed hair will be there should you not decide to go that route.

I feel you on wanting to savor the progress you've made thus far; as you should..I saw the avatar...GIRL!! shoooottt!!! SAVOR!! Lol...but really at the end of the day, just know that you have mad support and a wealth of knowledge EITHER WAY (Katt Williams voice) on the boards. Take your decision one day at a time. You might be like fyb87 and just look up one day and notice, you haven't relaxed. HTH.

-S-

Back