I'm in New York for the weekend and I need some store suggestions

Kneechay

I'm visiting my BFF at Columbia grad school and since she's been here, she hasn't been able to get stuff for her natural hair. It's hard not knowing where to get things when you're not from around here. We're from Texas. I also wanted to buy some things for me to take back to my grad school in Austin. So, if you ladies in NY can tell me where I can get these things, I would really appreciate it and be forever grateful for the LHCF family.

Salerm 21
Lacio Lacio
Coconut Oil
Ayurvedic products
(I saw the Carol's Daughter store in Manhattan, any suggestions on products to get?)
Also, if there are any great products and stores you guys think I should go to before I leave Sunday, pleeeeeease let me know!

I'm visiting my BFF at Columbia grad school and since she's been here, she hasn't been able to get stuff for her natural hair. It's hard not knowing where to get things when you're not from around here. We're from Texas. I also wanted to buy some things for me to take back to my grad school in Austin. So, if you ladies in NY can tell me where I can get these things, I would really appreciate it and be forever grateful for the LHCF family.

Salerm 21
Lacio Lacio
Coconut Oil
Ayurvedic products
(I saw the Carol's Daughter store in Manhattan, any suggestions on products to get?)
Also, if there are any great products and stores you guys think I should go to before I leave Sunday, pleeeeeease let me know!

The onces in bold black at the wholesale district on Broadway have them for cheap, which is Broadway and 30th street. There are some places in brooklyn that have things cheap, but that would take all day if you're not from there.

Whole Foods has coconut oil

Ayurvedic powder I know of are in Queens

You can go to the Little India section of nyc to get your ayurvedic products. Its one 28th street between lexington and park ave s. There's a great store on lexington between 28 & 29th street that has all products from india. I forgot the name but you really can miss it because I found it by just walking by. There are also 2 other stores on 28th between lexington and park ave s. They have your coconut oil and powders.

Last edited:
I like the way you said "we're from Texas" You actually made me want to help you :)

The Indian Store on 28th and Park should fulfill all your ayurvedic needs :) Take the #6 to 28th Street and look for McDonald's and it's next to McDonald's ON 28th. If you still want to search, walk down 28th to Lexington Ave and look around the curry places you see betw 29th - 27th and you should see some more Indian stores with CHEAP products.

If you're at Columbia and taking the train, ask someone how to get to the #1 or #9 train and take that to 145th Street. Get off and ask someone how to get to Broadway but you should already be at Broadway. Walk up and down Broadway to 150th street and you should find mucho Dominican BSS with tons of products. This is little Santo Domingo :) Good luck finding the products and........Welcome to NYC!

Salerm 21
Lacio Lacio
Coconut Oil
Ayurvedic products

She can get Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio at any Asian BSS or ethnic BSS in the city. If she's at Columbia's main campus, your best bet would be to go to Harlem. Google some stores online. If she's at Columbia's medical campus, your best bet is 181st and Broadway. There are like 3 stores in that area. Also, if you walk from 181st south on St. Nicholas, there are a couple stores there too.

For unrefined, organic coco oil, there's a Vitamin Shoppe like 4-5 blocks south of Columbia main campus on Broadway (near the American Apparel).

For great salon products, like Joico and Redken, there's a BSS/salon on 96th/97th and Broadway that has a wide variety. I got my Redken Real Control Leave In and Thermal Spray from there. They sometimes have sales.

About ayuverda...no idea, but perhaps Murray Hill a.k.a curry hill in the East high 20s, low 30s on Lex or Jackson Heights in Queens?

HTH!

Aww ladies, I knew you guys wouldn't fail me. Thanks sooo much. I need my friend to get some stuff that she couldn't take with her from Texas when she moved down here 4 weeks ago. I also need some stuff I can't find in Texas, particularly DOminican. Lol, and Tada1, no worries, I'm not buying that much stuff, and I'm buying only because I'm out of specific things. I only buy when I run out. I can't be a pj, I just can't!

Thanks again all, and if anyone else thinks of any more, please share

Just dropping in to say have fun. I go to CU for grad school too and would have thought it fun to explore w/ you all but I'm out of town this weekend. BSSs on 125th have Dominical products too. Good luck!

Back