I'm Gonna Do It !!!!

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
This Friday I am going to self-relax! I am not going to pay some Mofette $60, when I can buy the products myself! I am not so LHCF savvy yet as to do a search, but can you please give me your best self-relaxing tips?

I was using Revlon Regular with Lye, but wanted a change. I think that it is too strong and it burned the :censored: out of my scalp! My last relaxer was 12/23/05.

Back in the day when my hairline would get fuzzy, I would use TCB from the new growth to the ends. I was crazy!!! I won't even go into details about how I tried to texturize my hair over a relaxer. Praise God, despite all the abuse, my hair stayed thick and in tact!

I would prefer to use a Lye relaxer, BUT it is important this relaxer does not burn! I am going to clarify tomorrow and deep condition afterwards. Thanks in advance and HAPPY SPRING!!!!!!!!! :rosebud:

hey prettyhaitian,

I'm a fellow self relaxer and trust me once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you stopped wasting money. although when you're first starting out you may not do as well as you hoped. i remember looking more texturized than relaxed the first few times. here are some quick tips though:

section your hair in four and put all three into bantu knots/buns with the exception of the one you'll be working on first. i find it easier to work on the back first then work my way up. also slathering vaseline on the last 3-4 inches helps just in case you accidentally get some on the ends. you should also time yourself. if you have a 3 sided mirror that could possibly help alot in seeing what you're doing or have your husband help out. i have my mom help me. i start out in the back, make the part, she applies the relaxer to the new growth and i smooth it out and we continue doing that. and if you have time to waste you could try practicing with a thick white conditioner just to get a sense of what you'll be facing. as for relaxer recommendations i really like designer touch. it doesnt burn and straightens very well.

I'd say go with the ORS olive oil relaxing kit, it's no lye.

Since this is your first time, your application time will most likely be very slow. So do it in sections. Not only for the application but for the removal.
Baste your roots with a protectant like vaseline or a sensitive scalp product found at any BSS. You can also put baby powder over that too.

Some people place the relaxer in a dye applicator bottle so it gets directly do the scalp.
I use a dye brush with a rat tailed end for parting.

Back