I'm afraid to make the transition

LuLu

I\'m afraid to make the transition

Okay, so honestly, I want to grow out my relaxer, but I've seen my head before when I had a lot of new growth and I know my hair starting breaking a little. Now even though my hair is relaxed it's healthy....I'm afraid, I'm very afraid. Exactly what products did you guys use to keep this from happening?

Nervously yours
violin.gif
look.gif

Re: I\'m afraid to make the transition

hi lulu!
transitioning is an individual experience for everyone bc of hairtype differences and then just differences in our hairs' reaction to products.
somethings are generally good to reduce breakage like:
-keeping newgrowth moisturized with oils/creams
-deep conditioning often
-detangling gently with fingers and then widetooth comb
the key to this would be using the products you know give YOU alot -i repeat- ALOT of SLIP. you are going to need it as you get more newgrowth so that you dont pull on the weak point bw the natural and relaxed hair.
hth

i agree, if transitioning is easy or more of a challenge does depend on your hairtype/structure.
i would go for it and see how it works. you can always get a relaxer if it doesn't work for you.
now what i would recommend is getting good detangling products, as cream of nature shampoo, st ives fortifying strength and shine, and LUST serum. now these are my favorite three products and they are VERY VERY detangling. i use my fingers too, before i use my wide tooth comb. what is your hairtype?

Lulu, check out Feature of this Month, Peachtree and read her regimen. She's a good example of one way to transition. Next do a search for "transition" on all posts in the hair forum and you should find several threads on transitioning, like:

How Did You Transition?
Strongly Considering Going Au Naturel

I am fortunate I know how to do my own micros/extensions so I kept my hair in braids while I transitioned. This way I didn't have to worry/think about the two textures. I would wash/condition my hair in braids and undo one braid at a time as my hair grew to redo it starting at the new growth. This way, I took the strain of the extension hair off the part of my hair I started from the last time and moved it to the new stronger hair. Before rebraiding each micro, I'd trim off about 1/4 inch and in about a year, I was rid of the relaxed hair and had about as much natural hair as the relaxed hair I had when I started off.
smile.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide. Either way, you can rest assured you'll get all the support you need right here.
wink.gif

Good luck with transitioning - I think it can be done successfully if you are willing to put in some work.

Just a suggestion, using products like coconut oil, wild growth oil, and castor oil may help you with the transition and keep your hair from breaking.

- A very good "slip" conditioner
(Motions Moisture Plus, LustraSilk Cholesterol Aloe, Pantene Hydrating Curls)

- An excellent detangling leave in
(VO5 Detangle & Shine, Motions Nourishing, Biolage Leave in Tonic *I haven't used yet*)

- Hot 6 Oil

*U may wanna try some Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter... I've read excellent things about it. I'm waiting for my shipment now
trampoline.gif

Oh yeah, AIR DRY
cool.gif

....just my lil 2 cents...

Thanks to everyone for the support, I am going to give it a go. Hairlove, I have been taking sneak peeks at your pics for a while, your hair is gorgeous, and it makes me think maybe I can do this!
clap.gif

Back