I'm a Newbie!!!

Hello everyone, i am new member to LHFC, i have a couple quesitons to ask. first off my profile pic was when i cut my hair last summer in a bob, when i cut it it was very thick, and as it grows out for some reason the ends thin up on me, my avatar pic is a pic that i took today. Can someone explain to me why my hair thins out as it gets longer. i want to get to SL hair, but i am wondering if it should chop it off again and let it grow or if someone can give some suggestions. i am currently uploading the pics i took today in my fotki album. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Can you post a link to your fotki when its updated. That way we all can get a better look.

As far as thinning ends, are you using alot of heat? How often are you using it?

How often are you getting relaxers?

Are you doing protective styling? Styles that require you to protect your ends?

Are you moisturizing and sealing your ends?

Do you deep condition often?

Have you tried a protein treatment?

See, we need some more info on your hair, but too me, your ends dont look thin at all in your avatar. But I guess we need to see your fotki to tell.

When my ends were thin, as you can see in my siggy, I followed a careful plan without having to do a chop and look how much they thickened up. A big cut is not always neccessary. Sometime TLC can work just as well. You gotta baby those ends girl!

Can you post a link to your fotki when its updated. That way we all can get a better look.

As far as thinning ends, are you using alot of heat? How often are you using it? i wash my hair every week, roller set it, sit under bonnett dryer

How often are you getting relaxers? 8-10 weeks, but i am stretching, on week 9

Are you doing protective styling? not reallyStyles that require you to protect your ends?

Are you moisturizing and sealing your ends? no, what is the best kind of product

Do you deep condition often? every two weeks

Have you tried a protein treatment? i did one last week

See, we need some more info on your hair, but too me, your ends dont look thin at all in your avatar. But I guess we need to see your fotki to tell.

When my ends were thin, as you can see in my siggy, I followed a careful plan without having to do a chop and look how much they thickened up. A big cut is not always neccessary. Sometime TLC can work just as well. You gotta baby those ends girl!
here is the reply

Girl I looked all and thru your fotki, your ends look good and healthy. Your hair looks fab! If my ends could like as they did and do a complete 360, girl you def don't need to chop. As long as they aren't split, you should be just fine. I'd suggest, not over doing it with the heat, deep condish AT LEAST once a week, and try to protect them. If your hair is rubbing on your clothes thats causing friction and breakage. unless you wear silk and satin I guess. But other than that, it looks good and you have a great starting point. Just make sure to moisturize those ends well and you can seal with something like coconut oil. If you are still worried about thickness after that, incorporate Biotin. Biotin really works with thickening. I take the GNC Hair Skin Nails Vits because it has a nice amount of Biotin.

As far as a good moisturizer, I use Elasta QP mango butter and that works for me. I'm not sure whats the best one out there, but I like this one. It doesn't have mineral oil or petroleum and it has some nice ingredients. Others that I've tried that worked for me was Organice Root Stimulator Olive Oil and also their carrot oil. Both have no Mineral Oil or Petroleum.

Girl I looked all and thru your fotki, your ends look good and healthy. Your hair looks fab! If my ends could like as they did and do a complete 360, girl you def don't need to chop. As long as they aren't split, you should be just fine. I'd suggest, not over doing it with the heat, deep condish AT LEAST once a week, and try to protect them. If your hair is rubbing on your clothes thats causing friction and breakage. unless you wear silk and satin I guess. But other than that, it looks good and you have a great starting point. Just make sure to moisturize those ends well and you can seal with something like coconut oil. If you are still worried about thickness after that, incorporate Biotin. Biotin really works with thickening. I take the GNC Hair Skin Nails Vits because it has a nice amount of Biotin.

Do you just rub the coconut oil on your ends? i hate for me hair to be weighed down. my weekly regimen consists of washing my hair every week with keracare shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair, deep condition with either the kearcare humecto conditioner or profectiv mega growth condtioner, the protein treatment that i use about once a month is by ion called reconstructor treatment, i set my hair with olive oil and water mixture, i may use olive oil (oil sheen), and if certain spots of my scalp get dry i use Dudley's hair and scalp conditoiner A&D, but still no thick hair, it is shedding real bad, and thining out, and i don't know what else to do.

Welcome, and your hair looks nice and healthy!! :yep:
as for the reason why your ends are thinning out as it grows, are you coating your ends with oil before getting a touchup? Relaxer run off while you're rinsing can re-process those ends and thin them out if you aren't.

Do you just rub the coconut oil on your ends? i hate for me hair to be weighed down. my weekly regimen consists of washing my hair every week with keracare shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair, deep condition with either the kearcare humecto conditioner or profectiv mega growth condtioner, the protein treatment that i use about once a month is by ion called reconstructor treatment, i set my hair with olive oil and water mixture, i may use olive oil (oil sheen), and if certain spots of my scalp get dry i use Dudley's hair and scalp conditoiner A&D, but still no thick hair, it is shedding real bad, and thining out, and i don't know what else to do.

Coconut oil is very light... they even have a extra virgin one I heard. So it doesn't really way your hair down unless you use too much. For my hair, I use a dime size amount and run it thru my hair, focusing on the ends.

Also, when you are stretching your relaxer, since the hair up top is starting to puff out (for lack of better words), the hair down low is thinner looking in constrast. Once you get your fresh relaxer you will notice a difference, as I did.
IMG_0263.JPG
See the difference in the look of my ends after a relaxer... I though they were thin because they looked thin in comparison. But they really weren't.

Like I said, only chop if you have slip ends. If you ends are okay, then there's no need to chop. There's something called the search and destroy method were if you see a split, then you chop that one off without having to cut your whole hair.

As far as you using the Olive oil oil sheen, thats not substitute for a moisturizer. When adding a moisturizer the 1st ingredient should be water. So yeah you're adding that, but you still aren't moisturizing. Secondly, I've heard of some ladies just using something like the olive oil and water mixture you described, but I don't know 1st hand because I don't. If you don't want to be weighed down too much, I'd say use a liquid leave in. a good one for my is Elasta QP H-Two or Sunsilk Therma Shine Detagler spray. Use it on wet hair after you deep condish but don't over saturate. Seal with a little coconut oil or your olive oil and continue with your regime. I'm telling you, you are worrying about your ends when they look great!

RULE OF THUMB: if they ain't split, don't cut unless you want to for a certain styling purpose.

I forgot to add that the way you're combing and styling your hair may be the culprit to thinning ends. Are you brushing your hair? If so, what type of brush? What kind of comb do you use? Do you wrap your hair in the same direction every night?

All of the above can lead to breakage and thin ends.

One more thing. After taking another look at your fotki, I would suggest that you do protective styling. There are girls who were able to grow out their hair without it but it seems to take them alot longer. Your ends rub up against your clothes usually until you get somewhere below shoulder length. So friction will start eating away at those ends. Since you like the straight look, I would suggest putting your hair up in a claw or something or a lose pony, buns works also.

I forgot to add that the way you're combing and styling your hair may be the culprit to thinning ends. Are you brushing your hair? If so, what type of brush? What kind of comb do you use? Do you wrap your hair in the same direction every night?

All of the above can lead to breakage and thin ends.
the only time i brush it is when i use it to smooth my wrap at night. i use a regular hard bristle brush to smooth, and i vent brush when i wrap it, and i use a wide tooth comb when i comb out my wrap in the morning. unfortunatly i do wrap it in the same direction at night. Its just that when i wrap it one direction, if i switch the direction the other night for some reason where my roots at it feels as if im tenderheaded, and i am not a tenderheaded person.

Coconut oil is very light... they even have a extra virgin one I heard. So it doesn't really way your hair down unless you use too much. For my hair, I use a dime size amount and run it thru my hair, focusing on the ends.

Also, when you are stretching your relaxer, since the hair up top is starting to puff out (for lack of better words), the hair down low is thinner looking in constrast. Once you get your fresh relaxer you will notice a difference, as I did.
IMG_0263.JPG
See the difference in the look of my ends after a relaxer... I though they were thin because they looked thin in comparison. But they really weren't.

Like I said, only chop if you have slip ends. If you ends are okay, then there's no need to chop. There's something called the search and destroy method were if you see a split, then you chop that one off without having to cut your whole hair.

As far as you using the Olive oil oil sheen, thats not substitute for a moisturizer. When adding a moisturizer the 1st ingredient should be water. So yeah you're adding that, but you still aren't moisturizing. Secondly, I've heard of some ladies just using something like the olive oil and water mixture you described, but I don't know 1st hand because I don't. If you don't want to be weighed down too much, I'd say use a liquid leave in. a good one for my is Elasta QP H-Two or Sunsilk Therma Shine Detagler spray. Use it on wet hair after you deep condish but don't over saturate. Seal with a little coconut oil or your olive oil and continue with your regime. I'm telling you, you are worrying about your ends when they look great!

RULE OF THUMB: if they ain't split, don't cut unless you want to for a certain styling purpose.

as far a a moisturizer i can't find one that doesn't weigh my hair down. i can put a dime size/quarter size amount in my palms of my hands rub and apply it in my hair, and it weighs my hair down, makes it stiff, and then i will have to wash it because i can't do anything with it.

as far a a moisturizer i can't find one that doesn't weigh my hair down. i can put a dime size/quarter size amount in my palms of my hands rub and apply it in my hair, and it weighs my hair down, makes it stiff, and then i will have to wash it because i can't do anything with it.

like i said, some girls use a mixture like you described (olive oil and water) and that works for them. If it works, keep doing it. Wait on cutting tho regardless.

the only time i brush it is when i use it to smooth my wrap at night. i use a regular hard bristle brush to smooth, and i vent brush when i wrap it, and i use a wide tooth comb when i comb out my wrap in the morning. unfortunatly i do wrap it in the same direction at night. Its just that when i wrap it one direction, if i switch the direction the other night for some reason where my roots at it feels as if im tenderheaded, and i am not a tenderheaded person.

The bolded is the culprit right there! :yep: It's best to use 100% boar bristle brush that isn't so damaging to the hair. Those regular plastic brushes will continually tear at your ends and thin them out. Check out my Fotki pic under the title "thin raggedy ends" and you will see the result. Since I stopped using that type of brush, my ends started to fill up nicely.

The bolded is the culprit right there! :yep: It's best to use 100% boar bristle brush that isn't so damaging to the hair. Those regular plastic brushes will continually tear at your ends and thin them out. Check out my Fotki pic under the title "thin raggedy ends" and you will see the result. Since I stopped using that type of brush, my ends started to fill up nicely.

i was gonna say this too. drop that hard brush asap! get you a 100% boar bristle. they work very well and they are soft so you wont feel tenderheaded

Back