If Pregnant Avoid...

kitchen_tician

I just thought it would be a good idea to list information about what products, ingredients, herbs, herbal supplements, etc should be avoided if pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding. I notice many ladies using items and they may not be aware of the possible risks. I always research the risks of ingredients and herbs and I often see restrictions regarding pregancy and breastfeeding.

I'm sure you all have more information to add, so feel free to list them here and this thread will be dedicated specifically for this.

I'll start with information regarding herbs.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/herb&drugchart/?_requestid=711501

Herbs to completely avoid during pregnancy:

Herbs and Reason to avoid
Aloe Vera The leaves are strongly purgative and should not be taken internally.
Arbor vitae (Thuja occidentalis) A uterine and menstrual stimulant that could damage the fetus.
Autumn crocus (Colichicum autumnale) Can affect cell division and lead to birth defects.
Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) Contains high levels of berberine, known to stimulate uterine contractions.
Basil oil A uterine stimulant; use only during labour.
Beth root (Trillium erectum) A uterine stimulant; use only during labour.
Black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosus) May lead to premature contractions; avoid unless under professional guidance. Safe to use during childbirth.
Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) A uterine stimulant that in quite small doses also causes vomiting.
Blue cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides) A uterine stimulant to avoid unless under professional guidance. Safe to use during childbirth.
Broom (Cytisus scoparius) Causes uterine contractions so should be avoided during pregnancy; in parts of Europe it is given after the birth to prevent blood loss.
Bugleweed (Lycopus virginicus) Interferes with hormone production in the pituitary gland, so best avoided.
Clove oil A uterine stimulant used only during labour.
Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) Contains toxic chemicals that will cross the placenta; do not take internally.
Cotton root (Gossypium herbaceum) Uterine stimulant traditionally given to encourage contractions during a difficult labour, but rarely used medicinally today.
Devil's claw (Harpagophytum procumbens) Uterine stimulant, oxytocic.
Dong quai (Angelica polymorpha var. sinensis) Uterine and menstrual stimulant, best avoided during pregnancy; ideal after childbirth.
False unicorn root (Chamaelirium luteum) A hormonal stimulant to avoid unless under professional guidance.
Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) Uterine stimulant; may cause premature contractions.
Golden seal (Hydrastis canadensis) Uterine stimulant; may lead to premature contractions but safe during childbirth.
Greater celandine (Chelidonium majus) Uterine stimulant; may cause premature contractions.
Juniper and juniper oil (Juniperus communis) A uterine stimulant; use only during labour.
Lady's mantle (Alchemilla xanthoclora) A uterine stimulant; use only in labour.
Liferoot (Senecio aureus) A uterine stimulant containing toxic chemicals that will cross the placenta.
Mistletoe (Viscum album) A uterine stimulant containing toxic chemicals that may cross the placenta.
Mugwort (Artemesia vulgaris) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects; avoid unless under professional guidance. Also avoid when breastfeeding.
American pennyroyal (Hedeoma pulegioides) Reputed uterine stimulant to be avoided during pregnancy.
European pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects; avoid unless under professional guidance. Also avoid when breastfeeding.
Peruvian bark (Cinchona officinalis) Toxic; excess may cause blindness and coma. Used to treat malaria and given during pregnancy only to malaria sufferers under professional guidance.
Pokeroot (Phytolacca decandra) May cause birth defects.
Pseudoginseng (Panax notoginseng) May cause birth defects.
Pulsatilla (Anemone pulsatilla) Menstrual stimulant best avoided during pregnancy; limited use during lactation.
Rue (Ruta graveolens) Uterine and menstrual stimulant; may cause premature contractions.
Sassafras (Sassafras albidum) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects.
Shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris) A uterine stimulant; use only during labour.
Southernwood (Artemisia abrotanum) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects; avoid unless under professional guidance. Also avoid when breastfeeding.
Squill (Urginea maritima) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects.
Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects.
Wild yam (Diascorea villosa) A uterine stimulant to avoid unless under professional guidance; safe during labour.
Wormwood (Artemisia absinthum) A uterine stimulant that may also cause birth defects; avoid unless under professional guidance. Also avoid when breastfeeding.

Last edited:
Herbs to use only in moderation during pregnancy:

Alder buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula) Strongly purgative, so should not be taken in high doses or for long periods.
Angelica (Angelica archangelica) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb.
Anise and aniseed oil (Pimpinella anisum)A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb; avoid using the oil entirely.
Bitter orange (Citrus aurantiam) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb or in moderate use.
Caraway (Carum carvi) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb.
Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus purshiana) Strongly purgative, so should not be taken in high doses or for long periods.
Celery seed and oil (Apium graveolens) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb.
Chamomile oil The oil is a potent uterine stimulant to be avoided, but the dried or fresh herb is safe in moderation.
Chili (Capsicum spp) Avoid high doses as they may lead to heartburn; can flavour breast milk when breast-feeding. Moderate culinary use is fine.
Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb; avoid the essential oil completely.
Cowslip (Primula veris) Strongly purgative and a uterine stimulant in high doses.
Elder bark Strongly purgative, so should not be taken in high doses or for long periods.
Fennel and fennel oil A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb; avoid using the oil entirely.
Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb or during labour.
Garlic (Allium sativa) Avoid high doses as they may lead to heartburn; can flavor breast milk when breastfeeding. Moderate culinary use is fine.
Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) Possible uterine stimulant; use in moderation for occasional teas only.
Jasmine oil A uterine stimulant best reserved for childbirth to ease labour.
Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng) Clinical reports suggest that high doses in pregnancy can lead to androgynous babies (caused by overstimulation of male sex hormones); use for short periods only.
Lavender (Lavendula argustifolia) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb or for moderate use.
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) High doses can exacerbate high blood pressure; safe in moderation.
Lovage (Levisticum officinale) A uterine stimulant traditionally used in slow and difficult labour; safe as a culinary herb.
Marjoram and marjoram oil (Origanum vulgare) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb; avoid using the oil entirely.
Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) A uterine stimulant in high doses; best limited to the final weeks and during labour.
Myrrh (Commiphora molmol) A uterine stimulant that may lead to premature contractions; avoid high doses.
Nutmeg and Nutmeg Oil Inhibits prostaglandin production and contains hallucinogens that may affect the fetus; once erroneously regarded as an abortifacient. Safe in normal culinary use.
Oregano (Origanum X marjoricum; O. onites) A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb; avoid using the oil entirely.
Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) Uterine stimulant that may also irritate the fetus in high doses; safe in normal culinary use.
Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) A uterine stimulant in high doses; safe for moderate use.
Peppermint oil A uterine stimulant; avoid the oil entirely, although low doses of the dried herb can be used.
Raspberry leaf (Rubus idaeus) A uterine stimulant in high doses; best limited to the final six to eight weeks and during labour.
Rhubarb root (Rheum palmatum) Strongly purgative, so should not be taken in high doses or for long periods.
Rosemary and rosemary oil A uterine stimulant in high doses; safe in moderation and normal culinary use. Avoid using the oil entirely.
Saffron (Crocus sativa) A uterine stimulant in high doses; safe in normal culinary use.
Sage and sage oil A uterine and hormonal stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb; avoid using the oil entirely.
Senna (Senna alexandrina) Strongly purgative, so should not be taken in high doses or for long periods.
Tea, black (Camellia sinensis) Limit to two cups a day, as excess can lead to palpitations and increased heart rate.
Thyme oil (Thymus vulgaris) Some reports claim that it acts as a uterine stimulant, though the research is disputed; the herb is quite safe in cooking.
Vervain (Verbene officinalis) A uterine stimulant in high doses; best limited to the final weeks and during labour.
White horehound (Marrubium vulgare) Reputed uterine stimulant; safe in moderation in cough drops.
Wood betony (Stachys officinalis) A uterine stimulant in high doses; best limited to the final weeks and during labour.
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) A uterine stimulant in high doses; best limited to the final weeks and during labour.
Added:
Horsetail -Due to its nicotine content, horsetail should not be taken orally by children under the age of 18, individuals who are allergic to nicotine, or pregnant and breast-feeding women. Individuals with poor kidney function or heart conditions should also avoid the oral use of horsetail.

Last edited:
Is it safe to take omega 3 fish oil supplements during pregnancy?Written for BabyCentre UK

Anna McGrail answers:
Yes and no. There are two types of fish oil supplement -- those made from the liver of the fish and those made from the body of the fish. Supplements made from the liver of the fish, such as cod liver oil, contain the retinol form of vitamin A and need to be either avoided altogether or strictly limited in pregnancy so that your daily intake does not exceed 3,300 micrograms (mcg). On the other hand, fish oils not derived from fish livers contain lots of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which is essential for your baby's developing eyes and brain.

DHA, also called omega 3 fatty acid, is found in concentrated amounts in oily fish and, in lesser amounts, in other foods, such as walnuts and linseeds. Including DHA in your diet is essential for your baby's normal brain, eye and vision development, especially during the last trimester. This may be one reason why premature babies are particularly at risk of eye and brain damage.

Fish especially rich in omega 3 fatty acids include tinned or fresh mackerel, salmon, trout, herring, pilchards, anchovies and sardines, and some experts recommend eating two fish meals per week. If you're not a big fish eater, you could take a fish oil supplement, but do make sure you choose one formulated specially for pregnant women.

At present, there is no recommended daily intake of DHA, although this is currently being researched. In the meantime, remember that if you eat a varied range of foods, including some oily fish, you may not need to supplement your diet anyway.

It's funny you posted this, I was just researching what a pregnant woman shouldn't be using because I use herbs in my concoctions.

Thanks for this info :)

This information is if these herbs are being ingested or taken internally, right? I'm wondering is small amounts used in hair conditioning concoctions are okay even during pregnancy?

Cayenne0622 said:
This information is if these herbs are being ingested or taken internally, right? I'm wondering is small amounts used in hair conditioning concoctions are okay even during pregnancy?

I think it depends on the herb. Some herbs and oils are so strong that they shouldn't even be handled or used at all, like rosemary oil, but I'm not sure. You may want to research each ingredient that you may be concerned about to make sure.

Last edited:
Kitchen_tician,

Thank you soooo much for starting this thread. I had it on my mind last week to start a thread such as this but it escaped my memory.

Don't forget castor oil.

Back in the days ppl use to use this to induce abortions. Don't know how effective this was but i ain't the one to take any chances.

MizaniMami said:
Don't forget castor oil.

Back in the days ppl use to use this to induce abortions. Don't know how effective this was but i ain't the one to take any chances.
Girl, I drank sooo mcuh of that stuff when I was trying to make my first daughter make her debut. I was A few days overdue and I was desperate and so I bottom-uped a bottle of castor oil and guess what happened? NOTHING!!! :lachen:I was too pissed! But anyways I just wanted to share that story. But yeah, all you preggers out there, avoid that stuff early on cuz it just may send you to the hostpital.

pattycake0701 said:
Kitchen_tician,

Thank you soooo much for starting this thread. I had it on my mind last week to start a thread such as this but it escaped my memory.

You're Welcome. Ladies, thanks for all of your responses.:)

Last edited:
MizaniMami said:
Don't forget castor oil.

Thanks MizaniMami. So it's not safe to injest during pregancy, but is it safe to use it topically, like on the scalp and hair?

kitchen_tician said:
Thanks MizaniMami. So it's not safe to injest during pregancy, but is it safe to use it topically, like on the scalp and hair?

You know, that I don't know. all I know is EVERYBODY I know knew/know someone who used castor oil to try to induce abortions or to do the number 2. I wouldn't even take the chance of having it ingested in my bloodstream.

zora said:
I would avoid relaxers and hair dyes.

Relaxers are fine, but I'm not sure about dyes. There are a lot of white women on my baby board who are getting their roots touched up, so I guess their docs are ok'ing it.

lauren450 said:
Relaxers are fine, but I'm not sure about dyes. There are a lot of white women on my baby board who are getting their roots touched up, so I guess their docs are ok'ing it.

Actually, I've been told that if the relaxer comes in contact with the scalp, then it can go into the bloodstream. I also heard there isn't enough research on the effects to actually say Yes or No to relaxers while preg. Most women I know just don't get them when they're pregnant, just to be safe.

kitchen_tician said:
Actually, I've been told that if the relaxer comes in contact with the scalp, then it can go into the bloodstream. I also heard there isn't enough research on the effects to actually say Yes or No to relaxers while preg. Most women I know just don't get them when they're pregnant, just to be safe.

Interesting. Most women I know keep getting them, and I got an ok from my ob. I've never had a problem. I can understand why some women don't, though.

kitchen_tician said:

I think more research hasn't been done because relaxers aren't used by whites.

Thanks for posting this! I'm not preggers YET but we're tryin' and I was going to start doing research. You're the best! :kiss:

Thanks for this thread...I was just asking in another thread if I should avoid BT now that I am, and was impatient for a response

So no sulfur or castor oil applied topically?

I'm already not going to relax. By the time I have the baby I will have gone one year without relaxers, so that's cool.

I just love my castor oil, and I have a lite grease that has oil in it..should I chuck them?

Back