I will never again go to a stylist (LONG)

joemerald

OK today I went to a very reputable salon in MD/DC, a great salon for some, not for me. I am trying to treat my hair gently but I felt it pulling and breaking when the relaxer was being applied. I was so mad. Yes I know it was tangled but I was trying to minimize the manipulation because I know the relaxer really burns. After that the wash out was crazy. Can you believe that they used a brushy thing to scrub my scalp after I was burning from the relaxer?
confused.gif
After taking out the rollers they brushed it into a wrap, again I was really worried about my hair breaking, I actually had some hairs fall on me so I know it was
mad.gif
. So I realise that no one will treat my hair the way I would, next time I will be buying a no-lye kit and do it myself. Oh I didn't see when she was putting the relaxer on me but another client after me, the relaxer was on three quarters of the old relaxed hair. Talk about overlapping. I know that was probably done with me also. She then asked me if I wanted a trim, I was quick to say no because I was late for an appointment but she seemed disappointed. No cutting, I have grown my hair this long without a trim and I have no spilt eends. It is uneven but that doesn't bother me as I seldom wear my hair out. Need I say I was not impressed.

Jo.

Re: I will never again go to a stylist (LONG)

Did you point any of this out to her? A lot of stylists think what they can do to one client, they can do to all clients. Always speak up (even if you feel uncomfortable).

Jo, im sorry to hear about your experience. Some of these so called 'stylists' make me want to pour gasoline one them and light a match threatening to light 'em up if they don't put the scissors down or take a real course is hair maintenance.
mad.gif
It angers me the things they do to our hair and than expect us to be happy and satisifed! AND tip them to boot! Bleeehhh... they make me sick.

Okay, I'm not trying to be mean, but why didn't you speak up? I never hold my tounge and the stylist I've been going to for the past 6 years and trust my hair with will hear my mouth if I think she is doing something that may be causing me pain or damage---I don't care if she likes it or not!
Secondly, you didn't state anything about the stylist, was she recommended or just the salon? If it was just the salon that was your first mistake. Always get a stylist's name. That's how I found mine. I saw a woman with beautiful hair--styled perfectly every week and I ask who her stylist was---not the salon. Half the time if the stylist is very busy they will send new clients to the newest or worst person in the salon.

Don't go to her anymore and don't give her any referrals! I'm sorry your experience was so bad!

Ok I didn't speak up because the first thing she remarked was how tangled my hair was and that I need to comb it as it will break while she is putting the relaxer in and combing through. My hair was at least two inches new growth it is not easy to do that especially right before a relaxer I think I would be asking for burns. Secondly, she was recommended right here on the Board I specifically asked for her. As I said, she may be great for some but not for me.

Jo.

JE I know exactly how you feel. I just went through a similar situation with my touch-up. The "itch put the relaxer all the way down to end of my hair. I don't think I'll be trusting anymore stylists with any chemical services
nono.gif

Oh I'm soooo sorry Jo, was it Tiffany? Dayum her! Was she rushing. Baby your hair right now I'm sure it needs it. Hairstylists are so inconsistent, one day they're great and the next they're
censored.gif

This is one of the reasons why I'm transitioning now, people are so dumb dealing with hair sometimes.
nono.gif

I feel your pain. My hair is breaking after being overlapped at the Penney's. She wasn't gentle on my hair either. If I can get good at doing my own touchups I'll be happy. Maybe I'll start doing hair out of my house.
grin.gif

Anyway, see my "doing each other's hair" thread. It's about time we take the LHCF to the next level. I know there are enough DC metro members to make it happen. Caramela already volunteered to do relaxers. She is in Bmore.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
Anyway, see my "doing each other's hair" thread. It's about time we take the LHCF to the next level. I know there are enough DC metro members to make it happen. Caramela already volunteered to do relaxers. She is in Bmore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umsumayyah, I agree with you. I'm sorry but, as far as i'm concerned, you must be darn near blind
cool.gif
to overlap so much
confused.gif
. a little overlapping is inevitable, but not like these so called hairstylists are doing. you have to be careful when relaxing, but it's not rocket science. as a stylist, you have to care about hair and hair health
smile.gif
. i think it's a good idea for the girls who have hair talent to go to the next level if they like
smile.gif
. i personally relax my best friend's hair and i give a heck of a rollerset
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
joemerald said:
I thought you were going to transition after the wedding? Yes it was her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to wait until after, but then I realized that if I don't wait when I do cut my hair off I could have 2-2.5 more inches of newgrowth by May so why keep perming if I'm just going to cut it off anyway. Sooooo, long story short I'm transitioning now and will cut my hair in May after the wedding.
smile.gif

Back