I Want to Cry Yall!!

seymone

I permed my hair after almost 2 years of being natural and it is a mess.. I use profectiv relaxer and my hair is dry as hell. I have being moisturizing everyday and nothing is working. I regret perming my hair so much. Today I go to moisturize and now my hair is breaking like all hell.

My hair is very unprocessed also.. What should I do?

Help Me!!

seymone said:
I permed my hair after almost 2 years of being natural and it is a mess.. I use profectiv relaxer and my hair is dry as hell. I have being moisturizing everyday and nothing is working. I regret perming my hair so much. Today I go to moisturize and now my hair is breaking like all hell.

Help Me!!
Would you consider going back to natural? For a quick solution that may help, maybe you can try something that will halt breakage. Motions CPR Treatment Conditioner is really good. It says it stops breakage immediately and from using it before when my hair was really damaged, I can say it's the truth. When I would stretch for months (not purposely aware of the term, I was just in college and got too caught up in stuff to worry about relaxing my hair on time), my hair would shed and break a lot and one application of this stuff to deep condition my hair really did stop it.

Oh, and I've underprocessed before too (when I first started self relaxing). I have never done a corrective relaxer (I just let it grow out and waited until I was supposed to relax again). But I think if you're doing a corrective you should wait at least 4 weeks (one lady told me to wait 2 weeks when I was underprocessed but I didn't listen to her, and I'm glad haha).

Last edited:
seymone said:

Help Me!!

Sorry to hear about your hair breaking. Years ago I was shedding and breaking like crazy. My stylist deep conditioned with Humectress. I have been sprung ever since. I would use Humectress as a conditioner and leave in. I would also apply De Sharme light hair conditioner thru out my strands as needed to maintain moisture and shine. My hair soaks up oil and I have gang of hair follicals/strands.

Oh I just tried Sylver2's Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo and I love it. I use Nexuss and Sebastian products mostly.

First, get a chelating shampoo to remove the calcium deposits that the no-lye relaxer leaves in your hair. Leave it on for at least 8-10 minutes and rinse out. You do not need to shampoo again.

Next, use a moisturizing, smoothing conditioner and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse out and you should notice an improvement.

Just to let you know that I went through the same thing as you and the above instructions help but what really resolved the problem is doing a corrective relaxer with a lye relaxer after at least 6 weeks (just leaving the relaxer on for 5 minutes and no longer than that). It won't straighten your hair, it just silkens it, correcting the dry, brittle issues that you are having.

HTH

I can give u my opinion of wha could have happened :look: NO-LYE relaxer known for calcuim buildup it caused ur hair to break/sheddin instantly. yes it happened to me so i switched to a lye relaxer on my next touchup never have tha problem again.U bein natural for so long ur hair resisting tha relaxer, i still say u should have used a LYE relaxer tha might would have solve ur problem or Now u need to take a trip to the so they can put ur hair back on track.

Sound like you may need a corrective relaxer. Maybe.

Anyway, I would get a creamy moisturizing shampoo. Humectress is a good choice and when I relaxed I loved Mizani Moisturefuse. Many relaxed heads also like the conditioners by Keracare and Euclence(sp). I didn't start using Aveda's Damage Remedy line until I became natural. For me it is like a ULTRA moisturizing conditioner. I say try it, if there is a store near you. You can always return it if you don't like it.

I remember someone saying the ORS aloe shampoo removes calcium buildup. Could you share with us what your process was for relaxing and maybe show pics?

seymone said:

Help Me!!

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. Like the other ladies suggested, I would consider doing a corrective relaxer. A hairdresser once told me that when one gets a relaxer on natural hair, the relaxer has to stay on a bit longer in order to get the hair straight. I'm assuming because the hair is a little resistant at this point. I believe she was correct because when I was in a domician salon one day I saw a girl with natural hair getting a relaxer and the stylist left it on for the normal amount of time as a relaxer touch-up. Needless to say, her hair didn't come out straight at all. It actually was still curly. So maybe the corrective relaxer is the answer in order to correct the problem. I don't know if you want to, but I'll go to a stylist to correct the problem. Good Luck Sweety.

Cutiepie7691 said:
I'm really sorry that this happened to you. Like the other ladies suggested, I would consider doing a corrective relaxer. A hairdresser once told me that when one gets a relaxer on natural hair, the relaxer has to stay on a bit longer in order to get the hair straight. I'm assuming because the hair is a little resistant at this point. I believe she was correct because when I was in a domician salon one day I saw a girl with natural hair getting a relaxer and the stylist left it on for the normal amount of time as a relaxer touch-up. Needless to say, her hair didn't come out straight at all. It actually was still curly. So maybe the corrective relaxer is the answer in order to correct the problem. I don't know if you want to, but I'll go to a stylist to correct the problem. Good Luck Sweety.
I never would have thought of that but it makes sense. I have been thinking about relaxing my virgin hair and I plan on doing multiple strand tests on different ares of my head. It just seems like it's a gamble otherwise.

Hi Honey

I am new to the site and am still gaining knowledge to stregthen my little girls hair. I just wanted to send you some light and love because I understand how you feel. I was crying when I posted for the first time, Thursday of last week, but thanks to this DEVINE group of ladies I feel empowered. I am pleased to tell you that after following the regimen that I collected from various suggestions, I took my daughters hair down this morning and the breakage has decreased drastically. So much so that by the next couple of days I expect that It will stop breaking completely. You will be fine, you've taken the first step by seeking advice from this wonderful supportive community and thats half the journey.

I would clarify, use a heavy duty protein conditioner like Nexxus Emergencee, then acidify w/ an ACV rinse. Because lye or no-lye they all leave residue, all relaxers breakdown the hair's protein (that's how they work), and all relaxers raise the PH of the hair to get in.

Oh and get back to your henna treatments. They will strengthen your hair too. I wouldn't do a corrective relaxer at home. I don't believe in salons for most things, but for corrective relaxers and corrective coloring they are a necessity.

You might want to experiment w/ WNG styles.

Last edited:
raeshan said:
Would a quick Aphoghee treatment help?

That's what I was thinking. Aphogee, the hard one. I always keep a bottle of this around just in case of a bad relaxer. I would do this, followed by an intense moisturizing deep conditioner w/heat. And a moisturizing leave-in.

seymone said:

Help Me!!

I'm so sorry!!! I know how panicked you must be right now. I don't have a solution but I just wanted to offer a big ol' HUG and pray someone comes up with a good solution for you.

When i went from natural to relaxed last year---it took a few months to get my hair in 'relaxer shape'

My stylist told me it wouldn't be 100% relaxed b/c it was 'harder' going from 100% natural to silky relaxed hair in 1 session (and not overporccessing) So it took like 3 sessions (retouching at about) 8 weeks each time.

I agree w/ another poster--Nexxus Humectress is the BOMB for a DC on my relaxed hair.

Also, MOISTURE! My hair was sooooo dry after the relaxer. It was just drinking up every bit of moisturizer and I just kept giving it more.! I would do like sareca suggested, DC and put it in a protective style and moisturize and moisturize some more....

Thanks so much ladies for all the responses.. Here is what I did... I did a clarifying shampoo, then Aphogee damaged hair treatment, then Aphogee Moisture Balance, then deep condition with heat, then giovanni leave in treatment and Qp Recovery and QP Htwo, and then went and put my hair in braids.. I can say that the breakage has reduced significantly but my hair is still dry as hell.

Once again ladies thanks...

Back