I want BODY and lots of it!!!

MWilson569

Im natural but went I flat iron my hair its also flat without much body. I tired rollersetting but it was really fluffy and not bouncy like I wanted it. I was thinking about flatironning then maybe the caruso (sp) rollers afterwards??? What do you ladies think??? Will the steam maybe revert my hair back to its natural state. How do you natural ladies add body to you hair after flatironning??? -Melissa

I think the less product I use the better. I don't use oils or moisturizers when I wear my hair straight. The only thing I may add to my hair is a watery heat protectant (Elasta QP Silk) and some Surge before blowdrying.

ChocoKitty said:
I think the less product I use the better. I don't use oils or moisturizers when I wear my hair straight. The only thing I may add to my hair is a watery heat protectant (Elasta QP Silk) and some Surge before blowdrying.
Thanks Chocokitty I might try that...is that elasta qp silk heat protectant moisturizing...because I need something moisturizing before adding heat to my hair. -Melissa

It's supposed to "seal-in" moisture... But I'd be sure to deep condition or use a moisturizing shamp. & conditoner before doing any heat styling. :yep:

hairmaster said:
I use BIOSILK from FAROUK and a ceramic flat iron, to add body I bump the hair as I flat iron.
Believe it or not biosilk dries out my hair. I had to give my bottle away. I prefer Fantasia IC serum .... it leaves my hair smooth and soft. But even when I use that I still dont have body and volume. Im thinking I should lighten up on the leave in conditioner. I use aveda elixer mixed with lottabody cream wrap. My strands are fine though so maybe I was weighing down my hair with a lot of product. Well next time I flat iron which will probably be in december. I will try to lighten up on the product I use and I will try the T3 flatiron. I was also thinking of putting in some rollers after I flatiron and maybe sit under the dryer. But if I do ...what heat setting should I use. I also have a cold shot setting on my hood dryer...Would that help set my hair. Any suggestions towards setting dry hair??? I think that would be very helpful in pumping up some volume in my hair..and also making it bouncy. Thanks ladies for all your help :) -Melissa

I only flat iron the new growth after rollersetting with pink, black, and purple rollers. Don't use big rollers. Don't comb your hair after you take out the rollers.

I can believe that it dries your hair out. It's virtually straight alcohol, can't you smell it when you open it up.

MWilson569 said:
Believe it or not biosilk dries out my hair.
Biosilk did the same thing to my hair. I used to love using it when you put it on it was light, not greasy. I went crazy with it. Over time, I noticed my hair getting drier and drier. When I got rollersets and combed them out, ends would be breaking all over the place.

I love lots of body too. I know you dont want to hear about *cutting* but long layers will always have your hair full of body. Also, when ever I get my hair set, I set my hair is smaller rollers like the red size and then wrap my hair and go back under the dryer for about 5 min. This takes out the bends from the roller set, loosens the curl & gives lots and lots of body. If they blow dry it out, the shine and curl is gone.

Another tip is how you set your hair. I ask them to alternate between rolling over and under and when it is done, I finger comb my hair into place.

** Caruso steam rollers give crazy body but I dont know how well they will work on natural/pressed hair.

Good Luck!!!

SerenityBreeze said:
Biosilk did the same thing to my hair. I used to love using it when you put it on it was light, not greasy. I went crazy with it. Over time, I noticed my hair getting drier and drier. When I got rollersets and combed them out, ends would be breaking all over the place.

I love lots of body too. I know you dont want to hear about *cutting* but long layers will always have your hair full of body. Also, when ever I get my hair set, I set my hair is smaller rollers like the red size and then wrap my hair and go back under the dryer for about 5 min. This takes out the bends from the roller set, loosens the curl & gives lots and lots of body. If they blow dry it out, the shine and curl is gone.

Another tip is how you set your hair. I ask them to alternate between rolling over and under and when it is done, I finger comb my hair into place.

** Caruso steam rollers give crazy body but I dont know how well they will work on natural/pressed hair.

Good Luck!!!
Thanks so much for your help SerenityBreeze ... I just might try alternating the rollers idea. I really want to try the caruso steam rollers but I dont want to waste my time if its going to revert my hair. As far as the long layers. I do want to get layers but Ive been to soo many scissor happy stylist that I am soooo scared. I go to a barber to trim my hair now and he doesnt know how to do layers. If anyone has any suggestions of a stylist who can cut long layers without chopping off the inches Ive worked so hard to gain back after my visit last year with a scissor happy stylist who chopped off about 3 or 4 inches for absolutley NO REASON !!! ( sorry im still upset from that tramatizing day) , I would appreciate the suggestion though... and by the way SerenityBreeze you hair is BEAUTIFUL...I love love the body ...thats the kind of body I want in my hair. -Melissa

Back