I see so much about tangling, im wondering why my hair WONT tangle anymore??

Ok this is a stupid, stupid question LOL, but i have to ask if anyone has experienced this.. I see soooo many threads on detangling issues and I remember asking my beautician ( back when i used to go ) why my hair doesnt tangle anymore and she said , maybe its thinned out, which semi horrified me.... I know that as a child my parents did not know how to care for my hair and the detangling process was an ENORMOUS task,, a good 40 minutes with detangler raking and raking, i was in pain and tons of hair on the floor:nono::nono:,, now when i go to wash,,, i soak my hair with any old conditioner and a ton of water and i do not get tangles,, i dont need to detangle after i wash, nothing,,,I really hope this doesnt mean my hair is thinned out,, anyone NOT have detangling issues anymore?

I don't have detangling issues either and I have fairly thick hair, and I'm always so amazed by the detangling horror stories a see here. I used to have detangling issues but there was always something wrong with my regimen that would lead to it:nono:, but now it seems everything is in balance and how it should be. :drunk:

I'm transitioning to natural from a light texlax and I'm 7 months post texlax. I detangle with just my fingers raking it through my hair, no combs, while my hair is loaded with conditioner. I do this every day or every other day. Every 10 days or so I use a Denman brush to remove shed hair and that's it. No tangles, and it takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish in the shower.:yep:

:scratchch well come to think of it not really in the last few months and my hair used to get soooo tangled up... hmmm maybe sticking to a routine and knowing when my hair needs what- has something to do with it...

I think its a matter of knowing how to properly detangle. My natural 4a hair tangles easily, but once I detangle in the shower and twist each section, I don't have to deal with tangles afterwards. You have simply mastered the technique of detangling your hair, IMO:grin:

Wow. You lucky, lucky, lucky, girls. :nono:

Tangling is the bane of my existence. Whether I detangle every day, every week or every two weeks, it's the same old story.

I remember once at the hairdresser's the shampoo girl was in a fit because she kept detangling the same back section of my hair over and over again and it would immediately tangle right back up.

I have:

1) Very very *thin* strands;
2) Very *dense* hair
3) 4b texture
4) long enough (BSLish) hair

All that contributes to tangling. Maybe you guys who don't experience tangling differ from me in some or all of the above.

if i were to do one of those tv shampoo commercials where the lady has all her hair piled up on top of her head just a'scrubbing away............i'd have some serious problems.

haha, i can remember when i used to relax my hair, i could even lean my head over the sink and take care of my bidness without having big problems too.

the thought horrifies me now, wouldn't think of doing either one anymore :lachen:

I used to have a issue with such horrible tangling. Now my hair does not tangle at all. I think it may be because now I use very little cones.

when i think about it, i don't remember my mom having any issues with detangling my hair when i was a kid (back when i was a full 100% natural which is what i' m shooting for again) and she doesn't remember any issues either. according to her, she would just soak my hair with water and comb using a moderately spaced tooth comb (not fine tooth, not wide tooth...just in between). the only problem i actually had when i was a kid was with the back "kitchen" area...but never my whole head (which is weird....) now that i'm lightly texlaxed and transitioning, i haven't had any issues either but i just figured it is because my hair isn't that long yet. hopefully i won't have to worry about it later though....

Yeah my hair never tangles either which is why I always find it so interesting to hear others have incredible woes after washing. I guess maybe it's a matter of products and how you handle your hair in the wash process:ohwell:? LOL maybe I'm making it up, lol. I know that when I wash my hair in the shower and use a good conditioner, I have no problems at all.

I only have detangling issues when I take a weave out...and when i am stretching my relaxers. Perhaps, my hair isn't long to have detangling issues.

I guess maybe it's a matter of products and how you handle your hair in the wash process:ohwell:?
Umm. No.

I never pile my hair on my head, rub it all together, etc etc. I smooth it straight back while washing, tried doing it in plaits, etc. I

I see that the ladies who say they have little /no tangling are not answering my questions as to whether they 1) have thin / thick strands, 2) have dense / sparse hair, 3) Are 4B or a looser type, and 4) have long hair (say APL and longer).

It would also help if you would share your detangling techniques.

This thread could be educational if we could see what distinguishes us from each other.

Umm. No.

I never pile my hair on my head, rub it all together, etc etc. I smooth it straight back while washing, tried doing it in plaits, etc. I

I see that the ladies who say they have little /no tangling are not answering my questions as to whether they 1) have thin / thick strands, 2) have dense / sparse hair, 3) Are 4B or a looser type, and 4) have long hair (say APL and longer).

It would also help if you would share your detangling techniques.

This thread could be educational if we could see what distinguishes us from each other.

Fine strands, dense hair, 4b, short hair (barely shoulder).

The longer my hair gets though, the easier it seems to be to detangle - largely because I don't have to hold my arms up quite so high in order to get to the ends.
Also, my hair is getting healthier, as time goes on, so really the only bits that tangle tend to be the very ends, and as my shedding decreases, those tangles decrease as well, as they are largely a result of free shed hair tangling around the rooted hair.

I think my biggest 'detangling' secret is that I do everything in my power to insure my hair never gets a chance to tangle up in the first place.

Yeah my hair never tangles either which is why I always find it so interesting to hear others have incredible woes after washing. I guess maybe it's a matter of products and how you handle your hair in the wash process:ohwell:? LOL maybe I'm making it up, lol. I know that when I wash my hair in the shower and use a good conditioner, I have no problems at all.

Are you relaxed?

Tangling is the bane of my existence. Whether I detangle every day, every week or every two weeks, it's the same old story.

I remember once at the hairdresser's the shampoo girl was in a fit because she kept detangling the same back section of my hair over and over again and it would immediately tangle right back up.

I have:

2) Very *dense* hair
3) 4b texture

All that contributes to tangling. Maybe you guys who don't experience tangling differ from me in some or all of the above.

I have 1,2,3 my hair isn't BSL yet. My hair is tangled before and after 'detangling'

Lys

I have:

2) Very *dense* hair
3) 4b texture

My hair is always tangled. I have 1,2, and 3 above. My hair is SL. I'd love to get some tips.

Not trying to be mean. But I see a lot of you all are regular heat users, relaxed bone straight, have hair that's APL or less, and/or comb on a daily basis.

When I kept my hair flat-ironed bone straight and wasn't texlaxed my hair never tangled either.

Things do not have to be "wrong" with your regimen and/or products for you hair to be prone to tangling. For some people (such as myself), it just happens. I use the best detangling conditioners (for my hair) that I can. If having less tangles means I have to go back to bone straight and flat-iron my hair to an inch of it's life, I kindly decline.:look:

well, i do believe i notice more tangles when my hair is in its curly state but still no big issue.... i cant believe it doesnt have anything to do with washing method.... I use a TON, i mean a TON of cheapie conditioner to drench and smooth my hair b4 any shampoo touches it and the same after,, any tangles just fall out on their own,, I dont have a perm or any chemical treatment and as a kid when my parents did my hair i had IMMENSE amound of tangles,, one time it got sooo bad, i was 8,, i had a HUGE BALL of tangles in the back of my hair , so my dad took me to the salon on the corner where they cut my waist length hair up my neck:nono:, i wept lol, anyway ive got the same hair, just different styling methods....

well, i do believe i notice more tangles when my hair is in its curly state but still no big issue.... i cant believe it doesnt have anything to do with washing method.... I use a TON, i mean a TON of cheapie conditioner to drench and smooth my hair b4 any shampoo touches it and the same after,, any tangles just fall out on their own,, I dont have a perm or any chemical treatment and as a kid when my parents did my hair i had IMMENSE amound of tangles,, one time it got sooo bad, i was 8,, i had a HUGE BALL of tangles in the back of my hair , so my dad took me to the salon on the corner where they cut my waist length hair up my neck:nono:, i wept lol, anyway ive got the same hair, just different styling methods....

i have to agree with this post. up until a few months ago when i found the hair sites, my hair was still dreding up all the time. and i would lose massive amounts of hair with each combing or washing. now i know what im doing and its is a different case. so like ravenhairbellydancer said "same hair, different methods"

Could it be that some hair tangles because you are doing the wrong things to it but some tangles because it's just prone to tangling? I think once I found the hair boards and started doing more of the "right" things, my hair is more tangly than ever. Particular air-drying instead of a light blow dry. As it is now, no amount of conditioner can make tangles fall out of my hair. :lachen:

OP, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I used to have a issue with such horrible tangling. Now my hair does not tangle at all. I think it may be because now I use very little cones.
I think you made a good point here. My hair does not tangle either and it could be because I don't have cones in my hair products. :yep:

Also, I noticed towards the beginning of my hair journey that hot oil treatments cause my hair to tangle as well as ACV rinses. I tried the coconut milk/lime treatment also in the past and it made my hair hard and tangled. All of these things affect the pH of the hair and maybe that's the reason why.

I think you made a good point here. My hair does not tangle either and it could be because I don't have cones in my hair products. :yep:

Also, I noticed towards the beginning of my hair journey that hot oil treatments cause my hair to tangle as well as ACV rinses. I tried the coconut milk/lime treatment also in the past and it made my hair hard and tangled. All of these things affect the pH of the hair and maybe that's the reason why.
I always thought that cones led to tangling???
Hmmm... I haven't used any cones for a while and my hair is relatively tangle free for now so I'll most def. observe this a bit more.

Last edited:
Not trying to be mean. But I see a lot of you all are regular heat users, relaxed bone straight, have hair that's APL or less, and/or comb on a daily basis.

When I kept my hair flat-ironed bone straight and wasn't texlaxed my hair never tangled either.

Things do not have to be "wrong" with your regimen and/or products for you hair to be prone to tangling. For some people (such as myself), it just happens. I use the best detangling conditioners (for my hair) that I can. If having less tangles means I have to go back to bone straight and flat-iron my hair to an inch of it's life, I kindly decline.:look:

my hair is thick, dense, and 3c/4a relaxed mid shoulder length. i hesitate to say my hair is texlaxed because i never intended to texlax it, but it is extremely underprocessed whether i like it or not. i dont comb on a daily basis, style my hair at all other than a bun (which i just flip my head over to do) or use heat. i dont use any specific products. my hair just doesn't really tangle. after i co wash, i run a wide tooth comb through it while it's wet and that's enough for me. sometimes i don't even do that. i dont think you have to do all that stuff to have tangle free hair... your post makes me think some people just have hair prone to tangling.

Back