I OVERCONDITIONED!!! Have U?

healthyhair2

So,I got my touch-up today and my hair started to shed as the relaxer was being applied. I did not freak out since this has been a constant since my Virgin application in May. I had trouble with dryness, ssk's and breakage BEFORE relaxing again. Anyhow, she did a treatment to stop the shedding and breakage, which worked great. After sitting under the dryer and getting the thin ends trimmed,I began to tell her about my regimen. I had been CoWashing,alternating protein and moisturizing conditioners AND doing a ceramide condish day. Then, I moisturized with my oil moisturizer 4 days a week!!!! Long story, short this is what caused me to lose some hair today. My hairdresser said that my hair was mushy and too soft :( Uh-oh. In all my worrying about brittle, breaking hair, my conditioning 4x a week was too much. My hairdresser advised me to hold up on the DC's. I will post pics of how my hair looks after the curls relax,since they are a little tight-coulda gone bigger on the rollers. The hair looks great. I love the relaxer,Influance Lye,but I don't need to moisturize for at least a week! I never really thought my hair would have the problem of being over conditioned, but I am going to go to an every other week shampoo/conditioner regimen along with my MN mix and see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

No,I haven't but my older neighbor did. Her hair wouldn't even hold a spiral,twist, bantu,curl...:nono: Nothing. It just looked like a limp jheri curl. Eventually, she had to just had to shave it and start all over.

SUPER SWEET said:
No,I haven't but my older neighbor did. Her hair wouldn't even hold a spiral,twist, bantu,curl...:nono: Nothing. It just looked like a limp jheri curl. Eventually, she had to just had to shave it and start all over.

I thought protein would fix it

SUPER SWEET said:
It didn't. Her stylist told her to start again it was beyond that protein fix.

Wow. Never thought over conditioning as a real problem. Just assumed protein treatments could fix them

I still would of kept my hair I guess I would be wearing it straight because I'm not complaining bout my hair being too soft

I find protein overload much worse to overcome than overconditioning.
I fixed overconditioning by leaving in a protein conditioner (Aubrey Organics GPB if you're afraid of too much protein to leave in or if you are afraid of protein overload, I really trust this stuff), and lightly reapplying it everyday until my hair felt right. I preferred to avoid wetting my hair too much, so I sprayed and reapplied. Do pay attention to how it feels and stop leaving it in when it feels normal and strong, so that you don't reach a protein overload.
I hope it helps!

Last edited:
I conditioned so much because my hair is relaxed AND colored , so I NEVER thought that my hair would be too soft. My hairdresser kind of hints that the color is something to be careful about, but I prefer my hair to be a shade of copper. Thought about going back to henna but it doesn't give me the bright shade that I want. Oh well, we'll think of something... My hair has not suffered any noticeable setback so, I'm good. I will not be doing some of the challenges I signed on for so I can prevent the mushiness!!

Yea, I have to be careful about over conditioning. For my hair, protein is more important than moisture. If I don't protein weekly Bad things happen, cause I use so many über moisturizing products (Wen Mango Coco :lick:) during the week from co-cleansing every other day. My ends especially suffer the most.

I over conditioned once when I was relaxed, but it happened after I got my relaxer did. I remedied it by doing a medium-hardcore protein treatment (ORS Hair Mayo with an egg) and using a strengthening moisturizer for a few days (ORS Carrot Oil).

I never thought I could over condition as a natural, but I did earlier this year by basically doing the same thing you did. Lots of co washing and DC, heavy cream based moisturizer. It took 2-3 ApHogee 2 Minute treatments over 2 weeks to get my hair back in balance.

Now I find it's just easier to incorporate protein on some type of regular basis. I usually use some type of protein treatment or conditioner every 12-14 days.

My fine relaxed hair is easily over conditioned especially since overconditioned hair (for me) feels so soft and light:lick: I cowash daily so I'm using protein every other day and the breakage from manipulating is much less as a result. Your hair should stretch 30-50% of itself which really isn't that much...I am learning to stay on the side of more protein than moisture especially since I don't use any super strong protein treatments.

The week(s) before my Relaxer, I start to build-up my Hair with Protein Rx's and Reconstructors, since Relaxers break down the bonds of your Hair.

I also spritz my previously relaxed Hair with some kind of protein prior to application.

Right now I'm using Neutral Protein Filler, but have used Apoghee Green Tea & Keratin and also pure Keratin Oil (on previously relaxed). I've also spritzed with Chi-Silk Fusion and Joico Silk Results (for the silk protein)

If you continue to cowash 4x per week, you should either incorporate a protein based cowash conditioner or at the very least, make sure you use a weekly light protein or reconstructor.

Yes only a few times. I was detangling my hair in the shower and it felt too soft. Protein fixed it though. Over conditioning seems to happen when I try to do to much to my hair. That's why I generally do things on an as needed basis. Never had issues with protein yet.

Yeah, I will not be CoWashing anytime soon.I was only CoWashing 1x per week , but my other 3 days would use deep conditioners. I guess even though I used reconstructing conditioners as well, they weren't proteiny enough. I may get some Duo Tex to help myself out. Aphogee 2 step is on my list, but I don't think I'll use so much of the balancing moisturizer. Generally, my hair likes a balance, but I will lean toward more protein.

I cowash frequently and DC 2x weekly. But I alternate between moisturizing and protein depending on how my hair feels and I do a aphogee 2 step every 4 months or so. I've never over moisturized my hair tho.

Back