I Ordered Affirm! Anything I need to know?

songbyrd517

I ordered Affirm Lye in mile, 5-n-1 Reconstuctor, Positive Link Conditioner, Normalizing Shampoo, and Gentle Assurance. Can anybody give me advice about using this? If you have used it, how were the results?

Quoted from member here

I have a handout that I picked up at my old salon. It is a professional user guide for the Affirm Conditioning RElaxer System with Protecto. THis is what is printed under the section "How to apply Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System."

If using Moisture Plus dry Hair & SEnsitive Scalp formula, before use, the relaxer creme must be thoroughly mixed with the liquid activator.

Step 1 Protecto Application:
Apply an amount about the size of silver dollar into palm and rub hands together. Gently work throughout entire head of hair, especially to the new growth area. Do not massage to avoid scalp irritation, Comb through gently using shampoo comb to distribute.

Step 2 Creme Relaxer Application:
Apply ample amount of relaxer to thinly-parted sections of hair using an application brush or back of a rattail comb. Begin with the back sections, working downards from the crown area. Proceed to the front sections, working from the crown forward. Apply to the hairline areas last. Avoid applying the relaxer directly to the scalp. For retouches, apply relaxer creme to new growth only. Avoid overlapping onto previously relaxed hair. After application is complete, smooth the relaxer with the back of a rattail comb, using thin partings and working in the same direction as during application. After desired straightening is achieved, rinse relaxer completely from hair with warm water.

Step 3 5 in 1 Reconstructor and/or Positive Link Application:
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor if hair is fine or limp; Positive Link if hair is medium or coarse; 5 in 1 and Positive Link, in half-and-half mixture if hair is slightly damaged. WAit five minuts and rinse hair well.

Step 4 Normalizing Shampoo:
Shampoo all areas of hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly and repeat. (Lather will be pink if relaxer traces remain, and white when hair is completely neutralized.) Style and Finish with KeraCare maintenace items.

For Affirm Lye in Mild Formula, the timing guide on back recommends 13 minutes.

I really love Affirm it texturizes really well, my hair is always well conditioned and moisturised with this system.

[ QUOTE ]
songbyrd517 said:
I ordered Affirm Lye in mile, 5-n-1 Reconstuctor, Positive Link Conditioner, Normalizing Shampoo, and Gentle Assurance. Can anybody give me advice about using this? If you have used it, how were the results?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
songbyrd517 said:
Thanks girl! This is very helpful /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs, i'm certain you'll like the results /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would advise you to do a strand test when your products arrive, to see approximately how long it will take to get your desired degree of straightness. The first few times I used Affirm I underprocessed.

Once I figured out the correct length of time to process, I had great results.

HOW I PERFORM STRAND TESTS

1. After spending one week wearing a protective styles. I remove them, this gives me 7 days worth of old hair to test on. (you don’t have to do this, its usual for me to wear braids anyway)

2. I part my hair in two sections .

3. The front half is mainly 4a, a smaller portion of the back is 3c.

4. I comb section by section, to remove hairs, which have shed. (you could snips strands instead).

5. I place hairs into two groups.

6. Group 1 4a strands from (front sections)

7. Group 3c strands from (back section)

8. This is beneficial for those who have more than one texture on their head and wish to achieve a desired textured.

9. I carefully separate strands from the first group.

10. I normally test on at least ten strands altogether as its easier to grasp.

11. As recommended “ I tape the hair to cardboard and label it with the area from which they came and the start/end time” (fellow LHCFer curlycurly).

12. I have my timer ready….

13. I protect my hands by putting on my latex gloves.

14. Then apply Affirm mild strength lye formula, using my fingertips.

15. I use light smoothing strokes, too much pressure from smoothing a few strands would yield misleading results. “I don't smooth as much as I would if I was doing my head since the extra pressure from smoothing a few strands would be more than I'd be applying to my head” (fellow LHCFer curlycurly).

16. When timing is up….

17. I follow instructions for Affirm relaxer, other relaxers may have different requirements.

18. I rinse the strands with water

19. I condition with Affirm 5-1 mix with Positive link conditioner.

20. I neutralise with their normalising shampoo.

21. Then I air-dry the strands.

22. If I’m unsatisfied with the results.

23. I repeat the process using different strands until I’m completed satisfied.

24. You can either increase or decrease timing.

25. I also tested the strands with and without smoothing.

It may be time consuming, however it saves me from nasty surprises. HTHS den1

-----------------------------------------------------------

Accessories used: Wide-tooth comb, Cardboard, cellotape, clock timer.

Relaxer Products: Affirm mild Strength Lye, Affirm 5 in1 reconstructor, Affirm positive link conditioner, Affirm normalising shampoo.

[ QUOTE ]
songbyrd517 said:
Thanks RachelL. How do you do a strand test?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just take some shed hairs out of my brush (make sure you see new growth near the root of the strands) and process the new growth with the relaxer so you can see approximately how long it will take to achieve your desired results. One caveat is that it may take a little less time to process the hair on your head than the hair from your strand test, because the heat from your scalp aids the relaxing process, but it's a good ballpark. For instance, my strand test indicated that I needed 25 minutes, but I actually need about 22 minutes. Hope this helps

I relax with Affirm, have for years. When I switched up, my hair broke. I love it- shiny, moisturized, leaves a little wave (mild) so I can wear it curly. I hope it comes out well for you. Oh, you might try the Keracare creamy oil moisturizer, it feels nice and my hairdresser says their products go well together.

Thanx guys! I'm taking mental notes on everything (good thing I have the site to reference it!). I can't wait for it to come! I am entering my 8th week post-relaxer and my new growth is starting to be relentless! (There's no hidind this mess! I used to relax every 5 to 6 weeks, but from what I've learned here I am attemting to stretch to 10 weeks. So, I should have plenty enough to do the strand test. My relaxer is scheduled for Christmas (I'll probably do it the 24th or the 26th).

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
...taking notes! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!!! /images/graemlins/user.gif This is great....thanks everyone! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
Step 3 5 in 1 Reconstructor and/or Positive Link Application:
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor if hair is fine or limp; Positive Link if hair is medium or coarse; 5 in 1 and Positive Link, in half-and-half mixture if hair is slightly damaged. WAit five minuts and rinse hair well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do many people do this? I was thinking about mixing the 2 when I touch up.

Which one do most of you use...the 5 in 1 or the Positive Link?

Hi Carlie, i always mix both Affirm conditioners then apply to my hair. 5 in 1 is supposed to be for fine hair and positive link is for medium/coarse texture, you can mix both if hair is slightly damaged, i do this because of the corrective i had to do in the past to keep my hair strong.

Carlie, your hair is BEAUTIFUL /images/graemlins/ooo.gif! You are now one of my inspirations! I will be asking you for help if it's ok?

Back