I need more advice....

Hello, I'm new to the whole haircare thing so I just want to share my current regime with you all just to know if i'm on the right track.. Well, today I pre-pooed my hair with suave humectant conditioner for two hours(I wash my hair every seven days). Then I washed it out and shampooed with my Doo gro moisturizing shampoo as usual, then as a conditoner I used Lustrasilk's cholesterol with jojoba and placenta let sit for five minutes and then I rinsed it out. I sprayed on my heat protectant and blo dried my hair in sections combing it down rather than up. Then I used a hot comb for my roots(I always make sure the temp is low whenever I use heat). Then I rubbed Jojoba oil through my hair after this I pulled my hair into a ponytail and applied ORS olive oil to my ends and wrapped it with a small bag and I applied my phony pony bun over it. Does anyone see any flaws in my current regime or any changes that I can make that worked for you all. I'm open to constructive criticism :)

Hey truleblessed!
I have 4b relaxed hair too and i am relatively new :)...we can be hair buddies! :yep: Although what works for me may not work for you, i would suggest that you swap the time on your prepoo with the time for the conditioning afterwards. Since i started leaving my after-wash conditioner on for longer (amongst other things, my hair has improved alot)...so my two cents is: leave the pre-poo on for abt 10-15 mins, then after washing, leave your conditioner on for about 1.5-2hrs if you arent using heat to deep condition. Reason being that you want to counteract the stripping effects of the shampoo....Hope This Helps :rolleyes:

Welcome!!! One thing that has worked wonders for me is airdrying. Since I put the blowdryer away I can already tell tell the difference. I just want to shout it from the rooftops. I have been trying to find what works and I finally got it. Also are you moisturizing and sealing with oil?

I agree with the advice about d/cing.

Another thing, heat protectant or not, blow-drying weekly probably isn't healthy for your hair. Airdrying or drying under a hood dryer (like with a rollerset) is much better.

Also, a warning - baggying doesnt work for everybody. Monitor your hair closely for breakage, just in case.

I agree with the advice about d/cing.

Another thing, heat protectant or not, blow-drying weekly probably isn't healthy for your hair. Airdrying or drying under a hood dryer (like with a rollerset) is much better.

Also, a warning - baggying doesnt work for everybody. Monitor your hair closely for breakage, just in case.

I agree, I personally would be afraid to blowdry weekly and then press (but people do it, and it works for them). You should try to find a method that dries you hair straight. I recently tried rollersetting simple as a drying method, and I definitely prefer the results to simply blowdrying. But other than that I think you are on the right track. The hair journey is about finding a regimen that works for you, and modifying it as needed. So just find what works for you.

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I'm going to use all of the advice. I have to admit that I do use a lot of heat:). I want to try both airdrying and rollersetting to see what works best for me. But as far as the rollersetting I'm completely clueless, lol. What kind of rollers do I use (brand name too), how long do I sit under the drier, etc.?

Thanks alot tada for the advice...I always wanted a hair buddy, lol. How long is your hair now?

My hair is a little past shoulder length now (was about neck length when i started stalking in July)...im aiming for APL in the longest parts by the end of December...but first, i need to figure out what to do with my hair all winter :drunk:....

I'm just glad that the ladies on here really know their stuff!!! lol

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I'm going to use all of the advice. I have to admit that I do use a lot of heat:). I want to try both airdrying and rollersetting to see what works best for me. But as far as the rollersetting I'm completely clueless, lol. What kind of rollers do I use (brand name too), how long do I sit under the drier, etc.?
When I was new here, I learned how to eliminate heat by rollersetting my hair and airdrying it overnight. For me, hot combs and blowdrying had to go since it was destructive to my relaxed hair. Some ladies here do very well with heat but they are also doing it in a hair-safe way.

For rollersetting, I use magnetic rollers and airdrying my hair in this way creates smoother, "straightened-looking" hair. Some of the ladies here rollerset under a hair dryer and their hair thrives with the indirect heat.

I think you should get rid of the blow dryer and air dry. It totally improved the thickness and condition to my hair. I would do away with the hot comb also. And make sure you know the importance of Protein and Clarifying(people have alot of set backs from not knowing about these two especially).And also put a water based moisturizer on your hair and then seal it with oil. Usually oil by its self can be drying. Plus to my knowledge the baggy and phony pony thing are protective styles. Why even fool with all the heat and manipulation if thats what your going to do to it? I would only use heat If I were going to were my hair straight or do a rollerset. Hope that helps any.:drunk:

oh yeah and make sure when you wear a pnytail it's not to tight and don't wear the hair band in the same place over and over again it could cause breakage. Move it up more one day and move down mor another.Thats all:yep:

You have good advice. Let the long time conditioning be after the wash - with heat if you can, with a cap if you cannot. I find leaving my deep conditioner on for 30+ minutes makes it work much better.

Definitely get rid of the heat - blow drying and pressing nce a week is A LOT of heat especially if you are relaxed.

I think you should get rid of the blow dryer and air dry. It totally improved the thickness and condition to my hair. I would do away with the hot comb also. And make sure you know the importance of Protein and Clarifying(people have alot of set backs from not knowing about these two especially).And also put a water based moisturizer on your hair and then seal it with oil. Usually oil by its self can be drying. Plus to my knowledge the baggy and phony pony thing are protective styles. Why even fool with all the heat and manipulation if thats what your going to do to it? I would only use heat If I were going to were my hair straight or do a rollerset. Hope that helps any.:drunk:

Hey and welcome!

(insomniac over here)....
I agree with the bolded. Especially if the style you are wearing is a baggy/phony pony you really dont need heat. One of the times I had to grow my hair out from scratch I used to wash and deep condition every week and put it into a phony pony (make sure to use ouchless bands)...just tie your hair down with a satin scarf until it dries and it really looks the same as if you blow dried it since its pulled back anyway. Your hair should really thrive without the heat.

I also agree about deep conditioning longer afterwards, either that or switch it around and use the cholesterol or other Deep Conditioner first on dry hair as a prepoo (I would sit under the dryer or use a hot towel with it for 30 minutes), then use the suave humectant as a quickie conditioning after your shampoo. Thats what Ive been doing and my hair really likes it.

HTH!

Thanks alot for the tips ladies...I finally decided to get rid of the heat for good. This weekend I'm going to pull my hair back and airdry rather than blowdrying it and I'm also going to purchase a hooded dryer for when I start rollersetting I'm going to let you all know how it turned out.

Back