I NEED HELP!!!

ummrahmah

Hello ladies! I've been here for a little while now, but this is my first post. I am a haircare newbie, and basically I need someone to critique my regime to tell me what I may be doing wrong because my ends are still splitting, and from the 3/4 inch to 1 inch pieces of hair that I often see on the bathroom sink after brushing, it appears that I have lots of breakage as well. So here goes my regime (I really hope someone can help me):

I get touch-ups about every 12 weeks with Motions Regular hair relaxer. I shampoo once a week with either Motions CPR, Motions Lavish conditioning shampoo, or Motions Neutralizing shampoo. I condition with either Motions CPR, Motions Moisture Plus, or Proclaim cholesterol, or use Motions Nourish Leave in. After that I usually use Motions Foaming wrap lotion or Motions for Kids comb-out and detangling spray. I never use heat to dry. I do wear a ponytail sometimes, also wrap it sometimes, but usually I just let it dry under a bonnet (satin?). After drying I use a combination of olive oil, coconut oil, and Proclaim natural 7 oil. It's in a spray bottle so I just spray it onto my roots and brush to the ends. Sometimes I put "grease" on my ends if the oil combination doesn't do the job. I don't use heat on my hair for styling. Also, during the week if my hair gets wet from the shower, I just put some Motions nourish leave in on it, and then do the oil in the spray bottle thing. Air dry of course.

So this is my regime. But I am still getting split ends. And my hair is still breaking off at the ends. Oh I forgot to mention that I have been breastfeeding my boy for 16 months now, and also just went off progestin-only pills about a month and a half ago. But I began to notice damage way back in the spring after my stylist switched from Motions to Affirm (is Affirm no-lye?). Not really sure if that had anything to do with it! But anyway, since then I haven't used her, and now my sister (who is not a stylist) does my touch-ups, and I'm sure she gets some relaxer on the already relaxed hair!!! So I'm thinking over-processing is my problem. But how do I remedy it? I heard that split ends need not necessarily be clipped, just sealed with a creme hairdress...is this true? And if so, what creme hairdress is recommended? I thought about Profectiv Healthy Ends or Break Free. I'm going to Sally's today. I did try getting the ends clipped, but the woman cut my hair while wet, and I went home to find the split ends were still there!!! AAAGGGGHHHH!!! My $25!!!

Also, I will be moving to northeast africa in about 7 weeks. People tell me the water there "wreaks havoc" on chemically processed hair...anyone had any experience with this? What advice can you give me? Perhaps boiling some water for shampooing?

Like I said, I am a haircare newbie, and would just really like to have a healthy head of hair! I read this month's feature of the month, and it made me really interested in a simple regime. I just want my hair to be healthy and of course to look nice for my husband!

So that's it ladies. I hope someone can help me. And please if you don't mind to be as detailed as possible in your suggestions and tips...God knows I need all the help I can get!

Thanks and have a nice day,
Asiya in Northern Virginia

Hi ummrahmah!
Your regime sounds really good to me.ABout the split ends I think we all get them.I haven't found a way to stop them yet and I use no heat too.I try to take extra care of my ends though and I get a (very) light trim every 6-8 weeks.Profectiv Breakfree is very good to use on one's ends.So is Elasta QP Mango Butter on wet ends.Also you can try the Baggie Method once a week on your ends.I really like it.Do a search on it and you can find out more.
Also you should probably try a strong protein treatment and see if that fixes up the breakage.I use Nexxus Emergencee but there are many other popular ones.Of course strong protein treatments must be followed by a moisturizing condit.
I wouldn't advise you to go by your sister for relaxers anymore. Try to find a good stylist(easier said than done we all know!)who won't overlap .
You should probably buy a shower filter in advance for your trip so you can use it when you are in Africa.Lots of ladies use them.You should try doing a search on them too.

Good luck!

Welcome Ummrahmah!
wave.gif

Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum.

You might wear protective styles more often to keep those ends from being exposed. There are lots of threads about protective styles here.

I seal in moisture after washing my hair in the shower by applying vaseline to my ends before braiding and bunning it. Remember, oils and greases don't add moisture, they seal in moisture. Search for posts about sealing in moisture.

Brushes are tough on relaxed hair, and it sounds like you brush a lot. My stylist would use a round brush after my rollersets during the blowout in order to achieve strand separation. Even though my hair was really straight from the rollerset, I still heard some strands popping. I would never brush air dried hair. Search for threads about the Jilbere shower comb.

If the detangling spray is the only product in your hair when its being bonnet dried, that might not be sufficient thermal protection for those fragile ends.

Search for threads where other members posted their routines. You'll get lots of ideas.

Enjoy your trip to Africa!

Hey, welcome to the board.

I think your routine sounds good. But maybe Motions is not working that well for you. You can always try some other products. Maybe even cheaper ones. How long is your hair? Do you wear buns a lot? From what I read you really take good care of your hair, so as I said already maybe it's the products you have been using. Try some other shampoos and conditioners. Also I heard before from several ladies that they did not like the Motions leave in and that it made their hair break.

As-salaamu-alaikum,
I have never used the motions foaming wrap lotion, but when I used to be on another hairboard several of the members found that product dried their hair out and contributed to breakage.
I would ditto the shower filter and protective styling recommendations.

Maybe a new pair of trimming scissors- I just realized I was causing more damage with 1- 2 year old scissors. I couldn't figure out why I'd trim and then end up with split ends- I think it's cost me reaching my goal sooner.

I checked out your updated album, it looks fantastic. Your hair looks really healthy.

Back