I need help understanding the nature of silicones

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Ladies:

I attempted to do a search but had trouble finding helpful information on silicones and the possible damage that they do.

Let me tell you what I use in my regimen:

Cream of Nature (white bottle, green lettering, yellow top) as a shampoo
Avocado Aceite Dominican conditioner
Silicon Mix deep conditioner

Question: Am I using too many cones, specifically the CON? I've generally always used CON as a shampoo because it detangles and moisturizes my hair nicely but now I'm hearing that it has a high CON content.

My hair is healthy but dull-looking.

Any help that you can provide in terms of moisturizing shampoos, conditioners and treatments that don't have too many CONS would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Serenity_Peace said:
Ladies:

I attempted to do a search but had trouble finding helpful information on silicones and the possible damage that they do.

Let me tell you what I use in my regimen:

Cream of Nature (white bottle, green lettering, yellow top) as a shampoo
Avocado Aceite Dominican conditioner
Silicon Mix deep conditioner

Question: Am I using too many cones, specifically the CON? I've generally always used CON as a shampoo because it detangles and moisturizes my hair nicely but now I'm hearing that it has a high CON content.

My hair is healthy but dull-looking.

Any help that you can provide in terms of moisturizing shampoos, conditioners and treatments that don't have too many CONS would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Softresses has a detailed explaination of Cones in her Journal. It may answer some of your questions. Look in her profile and it will lead you right to it. :)

RZ~

Silicones in and of themselves aren't all bad. They provide that "slip" in some conditioners that we love so much. However, they build up on your hair over time, which effectively locks moisture out of your strands. This leads to breakage. If you use products with cones regularly, you will have to clarify your hair often to remove this buildup. Some ladies here, though, have no problems using cones. It really depends on your hair.

I agree with PJ76, Cone have really helped me as far as heat protection is concerned, but I used to over use them. That #1, caused my relaxers to underprocess and #2 gave me a false sense of security as far as moisture is concerned. They gave my hair do much bling that I was not really paying attention to what my hair really needed.

Now I really only straight cones on shampoo days, although some of my conditioners and shampoos do have cones. I try to stick with conditioners that either haev no cones or those that don't list them within the 1st 3 or 4 ingredients.

I love the slippyness of the cones on my hair for detangling. However I just make sure I clarify often to remove product buildup...by doing this my hair is still striving;)

Next question, how often should a person clarify? How often do yall clarify?
Is once a month good enough?

Hey ya'll I'm cheap! I just clarify with my neutralizer:cool: I clarify every time I DC which I've gotten lazy with and have only been doing once a week but need to get back to every 3 days. I need a heating cap cause I get so bored under the dryer!:(

I use cones just about everyday. I clarify once a week, but sometimes I push it to once every 2 weeks. I have used Suave Daily Clarifying, but now I use Nexxus Aloe Rid, but I think I will be alternating it with V05 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint Tea shampoo.

wheezy807 said:
Next question, how often should a person clarify? How often do yall clarify?
Is once a month good enough?

I clarify once a week with suave daily clarifier and dont have a problem with stripping or drying

Back