I need a tutorial on FAT JUICY twists!

angellazette

I just can't get it right, maybe I need more length but I want some of those fat twists that look like Sharpie highlighters instead of the pen tops I usually do. Are you ladies doing more horizontal parting, less vertical...less horizontal, more vertical. Give up the goods!

I don't know if you saw SO1913's twists in her siggy, but I thought they were so pretty. Maybe you could PM her to ask how she did them.

You don't part at all? How do you make sure you don't have any visible spaces? I'm afraid if I just grab and twist, I'll end up with like three twists in the back of my head and that's it. I've tried grabbing more hair and they still don't look right. I like the size in the first link.

On the very bottom row I usually make 3 twists. If you do those big and juicy you will wind up with only 2 twists. You may want to actually take your time with those. The rest you can grab and twist and it wont look bad. Try a few and see.

I don't pay attention to perfect parts, I just focus on trying to consistently having the same size twists throughout. I try to make my main part really precise like if I want a side part, slanted part, etc., but after that I don't pay much attention, so long as they are hanging in the direction I want. I've also found that twists come out nice and fat if I use a lot of moisturizer, for me the wetter the hair, the plumper the twists come out. I like using Oyin's Shine and Define Serum or Redken's Smooth Down Butter Treat or Detangling Cream, then seal with Oyin's After Bath Oil, it's not advertised for hair but it's amazing and the first ingredient is virgin coconut oil. HTH

I don't pay attention to perfect parts, I just focus on trying to consistently having the same size twists throughout. I try to make my main part really precise like if I want a side part, slanted part, etc., but after that I don't pay much attention, so long as they are hanging in the direction I want. I've also found that twists come out nice and fat if I use a lot of moisturizer, for me the wetter the hair, the plumper the twists come out. I like using Oyin's Shine and Define Serum or Redken's Smooth Down Butter Treat or Detangling Cream, then seal with Oyin's After Bath Oil, it's not advertised for hair but it's amazing and the first ingredient is virgin coconut oil. HTH

Your fotki is the reason I started this thread!

On the very bottom row I usually make 3 twists. If you do those big and juicy you will wind up with only 2 twists. You may want to actually take your time with those. The rest you can grab and twist and it wont look bad. Try a few and see.

I'll give it another try, I just did a set last night and I started out trying to make them juicy but they still looked thin so I gave up.

Really? I'm really flattered. Don't give up though, just keep playing with your technique and your products.

Yep :yep: I'm going to try the wetter the better part. I have some Phomollient that I probably won't use otherwise at this moment soooo I'll use that to get my hair good and wet then twist with my USC and coconut oil.

ETA, I can't wait to get to naturallady's length either, her hair is mawwwvelous!

Last edited:
I think that the thickness or thinness of your hair's density has a lot to do with the thickness of your twists. Both Naturallylady and Hopeful have dense thick (very pretty) hair, while mine is not only fine stranded, but not very dense to boot. I have to make small twists to make it look full on my head--otherwise my twists look anemic--same with braids. On NP there's a thread for "thin-haired nappies..." suffice it to say, I'm in the group.

My hair is near armpit stretched in the back, and I still can't make fat twists. Twisting on damp hair and with non water based products helps too.

You just need to grab more hair when you twist. That will make them bigger. Do a few to see if they are the size that you want. You dont even have to part. I am a big fan of grab-and-twist. HTH!

or this: http://public.fotki.com/Caisha/~all_natural_~_2006/summer_2006/august/more_pictures_05_001.html

I'm looking for this size. :grin:

But u had another pic of twists that looked like rope!!!!! They were so fat. I said see.. that's what I want.. Hefty twists, not my wimpy ones... :lachen:

My hair is also not as thick as I thought it was prior to taking better care of it. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for this size. :grin:

But u had another pic of twists that looked like rope!!!!! They were so fat. I said see.. that's what I want.. Hefty twists, not my wimpy ones... :lachen:

My hair is also not as thick as I thought it was prior to taking better care of it. :rolleyes:
Are these the ones you are talking about? http://public.fotki.com/Caisha/~all_natural_~_2006/fall-2006/december-2006/morepictures05034.html
I may have to do this again b/c I am feeling kinda lazy and this wont take but a hot min to put in.
Thanks for the compliment BTW!

*popping head in door*

Fat twists have been my main style for quite some time. To style just grab, twist, and go. Sometimes my sections are v shape along the crown for neatness. I just added one pic to my fotki. HTH

Affinity

I think that the thickness or thinness of your hair's density has a lot to do with the thickness of your twists. Both Naturallylady and Hopeful have dense thick (very pretty) hair, while mine is not only fine stranded, but not very dense to boot. I have to make small twists to make it look full on my head--otherwise my twists look anemic--same with braids. On NP there's a thread for "thin-haired nappies..." suffice it to say, I'm in the group.

My hair is near armpit stretched in the back, and I still can't make fat twists. Twisting on damp hair and with non water based products helps too.

I would have to agree. If I tried to make my twists fat, I would only have like 10 on them on my head. That's the main reason I don't wear twists. I have to make them really small or else they look scalpy. I always end up taking them out and wearing a twist out instead.

I would have to agree. If I tried to make my twists fat, I would only have like 10 on them on my head. That's the main reason I don't wear twists. I have to make them really small or else they look scalpy. I always end up taking them out and wearing a twist out instead.

Same here..... :sad: :perplexed :ohwell:

ARe you talking about 2 strand twists or the kind that run along your scalp like cornrows?
If you want big fat juicy twists you don't necessarily need to part perfectly, but you do need to grab more hair and twist looser. You also need to decide at what stage your hair expands most. What I mean is that when I was natural, had a texturizer and even now, my hair goes flat when it's wet. A friend of mine was the opposite. Water made her hair pouf up even more. My hair poufs and get's fat when it's dry so I'd do the twists wet and then take them loose when they dried.

The same is true if you're talking about twist that run along the scalp. For me, parting is essential because it helps with definition. Use more hair and bigger parts.

HTH:)

*popping head in door*

Fat twists have been my main style for quite some time. To style just grab, twist, and go. Sometimes my sections are v shape along the crown for neatness. I just added one pic to my fotki. HTH

Affinity

I will officially continue to check your fotki for updates.. you have been warned...:lachen::lachen:

Your hair is fabulous.

ARe you talking about 2 strand twists or the kind that run along your scalp like cornrows?
If you want big fat juicy twists you don't necessarily need to part perfectly, but you do need to grab more hair and twist looser. You also need to decide at what stage your hair expands most. What I mean is that when I was natural, had a texturizer and even now, my hair goes flat when it's wet. A friend of mine was the opposite. Water made her hair pouf up even more. My hair poufs and get's fat when it's dry so I'd do the twists wet and then take them loose when they dried.

The same is true if you're talking about twist that run along the scalp. For me, parting is essential because it helps with definition. Use more hair and bigger parts.

My hair does that too. Water weighs it down. It doesn't shrink up until it dries.

Thanks, I'm talking about two strand, not flat twists like the ones in my siggy.

lol you sound like me but I'm going to try it and see what I get...:drunk:

Back