I made a very stupid mistake

aleemah

I have been growing my hair for a little over a year now and a few days ago I decided to put in a texturizer.My curls were very dense and shrinkage was about 75 percent. I thought by putting in a texturizer I would stretch the curls a bit so that I could finally wear my hair out, because I still wasn't comfortable with the length.As I was putting that crap in my hair I just felt like I was doing wrong. I washed it out after about 6 minutes. The damage has been unbelievable! Some parts of my hair turned out straight and my curls look limp and they no longer snap back. It has been a complete disaster. My hair wont stop knotting up and tangling. Its breaking off like crazy. I called my hubby who was hanging out with friends today and told him to come on home because it's time. I decided to just cut it ALL off. This has been a VERY LONG journey and now I have to start over.There is no amount of deep conditioning or love that will save my strands. I know its only hair but I feel a great sense of loss and regret.I actually loved my curls but I was so unhappy with the length and became impatient. I just finished dinner and I am so overwhelmed, I will post pics tmrw. Thanks for reading:sad:

Update: Took a couple of pics. hubby is home now and getting the clippers ready:violin: I am so sick right now(ugh). Thank you guys sooooo much for your suggestions and advice. I feel that just cutting it off and starting over would be best for me. I will post the after pics tmrw. Again, thank you guys so so so much for post and caring.

Attachments

• 2mfap76.jpg
    2mfap76.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 472
  • 2807ifc.jpg
    2807ifc.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
:( i'm sorry..... for future reference, check out naptural85 on yt. she stretches her hair out alot before styling usually with curlformers.

Sorry for your [hair] loss. Perhaps you can consider going in a long term install or micro braids/twists while your hair is growing out. That way you will enjoy the look of length and not feel bare. I link you some tips if interested.

Im sitting here wondering what happened?? What did you use? Was it a mistake in application?

I'm sorry you're going through this. :sad:

I'm sorry to hear this, too, but do try to enjoy your new cut! Many people love to change up their looks with wigs to help pass the growing out phases. Good luck! :)

Aww man I feel so bad for you. I agree with others about maybe getting a weave or wigs until you get to your desired length.

So sorry this happened to you, i have thought about telaxing many times as well for the same reasons Shrinkage!

Awww :bighug:

I've been there before. I 2nd the use of wigs as a protective style until your hair is a comfortable length. I wish I had the courage to wear a wig after my 2nd big chop. Wearing a wig would have stopped me from texturing and relaxing my twa all in the same week. It was a mess but I made it work long enough to grow my hair out. Then I slowly trimmed the relaxed and damaged ends.

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you...but you live and you learn. Kudo's to you for not being attached to the damaged hair and dragging out the inevitable! You ARE doing what's best especially if your goal is to continue being the natural you want to be :)

It is not easy. Some natural hair takes years to show length just have fun with it & love & protect it no matter what length. Focus on health & the length kind of just happens!

I have been growing my hair for a little over a year now and a few days ago I decided to put in a texturizer.My curls were very dense and shrinkage was about 75 percent. I thought by putting in a texturizer I would stretch the curls a bit so that I could finally wear my hair out, because I still wasn't comfortable with the length.As I was putting that crap in my hair I just felt like I was doing wrong. I washed it out after about 6 minutes. The damage has been unbelievable! Some parts of my hair turned out straight and my curls look limp and they no longer snap back. It has been a complete disaster. My hair wont stop knotting up and tangling. Its breaking off like crazy. I called my hubby who was hanging out with friends today and told him to come on home because it's time. I decided to just cut it ALL off. This has been a VERY LONG journey and now I have to start over.There is no amount of deep conditioning or love that will save my strands. I know its only hair but I feel a great sense of loss and regret.I actually loved my curls but I was so unhappy with the length and became impatient. I just finished dinner and I am so overwhelmed, I will post pics tmrw. Thanks for reading:sad:

Update: Took a couple of pics. hubby is home now and getting the clippers ready:violin: I am so sick right now(ugh). Thank you guys sooooo much for your suggestions and advice. I feel that just cutting it off and starting over would be best for me. I will post the after pics tmrw. Again, thank you guys so so so much for post and caring.

I'm sorry for what happened to you. :sad: It's not "just" hair. It's a project you worked at for a long time and it's part of how you see yourself as a woman. Don't feel bad about feeling bad. Honor your feelings and mourn if you need to. Then when you're ready you can move on and start again.

Sorry about this I was tempted too. I agree with the others and that you know how to grow it out again and retain your length. Best of luck to you.

Wow! I was feeling your disappointment as I read your post. I am so sorry you have to go through this. However, I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. I am sure that your new journey will produce hair even healthier and longer than before.

If it's tangling really bad I would try chicoro's prepoo with aloe vera juice, argan oil, and coconut oil.

Also look online for braid/loc removers.

Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. Whatever doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger. Believe me, I know.

Warm weather's around the corner, it's a great time to rock a Ceasar. Aside from rocking big hair, I've never felt sexier than when I've rocked a Ceasar. Try not to line up the cut too much to keep it feminine.

Also, invest in some earrings. I don't really wear makeup but I did use eyeliner b/c with short hair, your facial features will pop.

Oh, and if you already don't have a strut...find one! :D

((BIG HUG))
I'm so sorry that you've had a setback. But maybe it's a new beginning for you. My hubby learned to appreciate the Ceasar and men everywhere seemed to love it.

GL and HHG!

One of my friends just got a low fade/ ceasar and I am jelllllly.
I saw her new cut on FB today and I was in total awe.

I'm sure your new style will be fabulous.

Are the pictures in the OP of the damage?? If so, I would say it doesn't look damaged. Maybe you can get away with just growing it out with braid outs or while wearing protective styles?? You have a lot of length OP, so it might be worth trying to baby it until the damage grows out.

Back