I learned my lesson!!!

Lovelylocs

I am never gonna color my hair again! The most that I will ever do is a rinse. This hair color set me back about 6 months. My hair was in tip top condition when i had this demi permanent color put in. Now it is in the condition that it was in when I started only worse b/c now it sheds. What is worse is that i dont even like the color and it still hasn't washed out yet. I got had it dyed in the beggining of October. Now, what do i do?

Isn't a rinse the same as a semi-permanent?

I don't know if Keraphix or Emergencee will help, but those products helped me immediately when I was shedding.

i never had problems with breakage or anything as a relaxed head and now as natural...did u deep condition after u put the color on?? and did u put lots of moisture back into ur hair otherwise after u dyed...semi permanents(demi perms. are about the same) have a lot of conditioning in them so im not gettin it...so tell us what u did

webby said:
Isn't a rinse the same as a semi-permanent?
Very similar, but I think she is referring to a demi-permanent. I got this information from: http://www.saloneastnyc.com/learn/7color.htmlhttp://www.clairol.ca/clairoljava/jsp/Types_Hair112.jsp

[size=+1]7 Methods of Hair Color & A Guide to Help You Use Them [/size]

[size=+1]"There's nothing artificial about coloring your hair, if it brings out the real you."
-- David Groshen
[/size]

Coloring Methods Select Your Hair Color Range

Thinking About Coloring Your Hair?
Whether you are interested in a subtle change, or trying an entirely new look, enhancing your hair color can make the difference. Remember that hair is the accessory you wear every day.

Coloring Methods

Method #1: Temporary Color
Method #2: Semi-Permanent Color
Method #3: Demi-Permanent Color
Method #4: Permanent Color
Method #5: Highlights
Method #6: Lowlights
Method #7: Double Process

Select Your Hair Color Range
The color chart below is designed to help you choose the hair color that best complements your features.

To use the chart, begin by choosing the clothing colors that look best on you. Then select your skin tone and eye color. These three choices should fall within one of the four color types listed (i.e.: warm/spring, warm/autumn, cool/summer, cool/winter). Double-check your choices by comparing your coloring to the coloring of personality examples provided. Once you have determined your color type, the chart provides you with your ideal hair color range and highlights.

(Please check back later for our Color Chart. Thanks!)

Method #1: Temporary Color

Temporary color is the simplest way to try out that new look you've been thinking about! It's also great for quick touch ups or to eliminate yellow tones from gray hair.

The main drawback to using temporary color is that consistency is hard to achieve. In addition, because of its temperamental nature, this type of color may rub off on clothes or pillow cases and may run in the presence of moisture.

Color Duration: 1 - 2 shampoos
Ingredients: contains no peroxide or ammonia
Time in Salon: 15 minutes
Hair Penetration: coats the cuticle
Frequency of Application: with every shampoo

Method #2: Semi-Permanent Color

Semi-permanent color works best for those who want a moderate change in color intensity. Frequently used to enrich or enhance your natural color, semi-permanent coloring deposits color only. A sensational coloring method for those with 10% - 20% gray in their hair, semi-permanent color can blend away the gray with natural-looking highlights.

Color Duration: 4 - 6 shampoos
Ingredients: contains no peroxide
Time in Salon: 1.5 hours
Hair Penetration: into the cuticle, 2nd layer of hair
Frequency of Application: 1 - 4 weeks

Method #3: Demi-Permanent Color

Demi-permanent color is a longer lasting alternative for men and women who want the benefits of semi-permanent color like enhancing tone and blending away gray. You can also brighten your hair _ level lighter than your regular shade with demi-permanent color.

Color Duration: 6 - 20 shampoos
Ingredients: little or no peroxide, little or no ammonia
Hair Penetration: deposits between cuticle and cortex
Frequency of Application: touch up re-growth every 4-6 weeks

Method #4: Permanent Color

Don't be surprised if permanent color is the method of choice for your stylist/colorist! You can achieve 100% complete coverage plus 100% consistent results with proper selection and application of permanent hair color. Even the most dramatic change can become a reality.

Color Duration: permanent
Ingredients: peroxide, ammonia
Hair Penetration: cuticle is opened and color is deposited in the cortex.
Frequency of Application: touch up re-growth every 4 - 6 weeks

Method #5: Highlights

Highlights is a versatile process that can create looks from sun-kissed to dramatic. Highlights lift the color in individual strands of hair to heighten the level of lightness in your hair. Highlights can provide you with brilliant, lustrous hair. This is achieved by weaving selected hair strands and applying formula using foils, to allow more precise and direct access to the hair.

Color Duration: permanent; bonus - re-growth of roots is not as apparent
Ingredients: peroxide, bleach, ammonia (depending on formula)
Time in Salon: 1.5 - 2.5 hours
Hair Penetration: highlights lift the pigment from the cortex.
Frequency of Application: touch up re-growth every 4 - 12 weeks

Method # 6: Lowlights

Lowlights can subtly integrate a natural crescendo of color through the hair, or can be used to accentuate styles by bringing a deeper color through larger sections. Lowlights are often the best option for individuals who wish to blend away gray hair in a natural looking way. (Men especially prefer this method.)

Lowlights are achieved by weaving selected hair strands and applying color using foils. This application method allows more precise and direct access to the hair.

Color Duration: permanent; bonus - re-growth of roots is not as apparent
Ingredients: peroxide, ammonia
Time in Salon: 1.5 - 2.5 hours
Hair Penetration: cuticle is opened and color is deposited in the cortex.
Frequency of Application: touch up re-growth every 4 - 12 weeks

Method #7: Double Process Coloring

Ultra-dramatic change can be yours with double process coloring. Using this method, hair can be lightened more than four levels. With the double coloring process, the color is lifted from your hair and your desired color is then deposited.

Expert precision is required to achieve the consistency necessary to make this choice work. Remember, a double process coloring results in dramatic change, therefore a consultation with your colorist is a must.

Color Duration: permanent
Ingredients: peroxide, ammonia, bleach
Time in Salon: 2 - 4 hours
Hair Penetration: cuticle is opened and color is removed from the cortex. A new color is then deposited into the cortex through the cuticle.
Frequency of Application: touch up re-growth every 3 - 4 weeks

i.gif

Last edited:
I guess I could at least respond to the original quesiton.

I think the peroxide in the demi color is probably what may be causing the problem. Have you been moisturizing your hair well? If Tracy is around she may be better to answer this question because although I use semi-colors, I have never used a demi and I think she is more knowledgable than myself in telling you what to use. Or any other ladies that know better than I. I will try to find the post that she responded in when someone else posted a question about color and damage or breakage.

I had it done at the dominican salon. They did a deep conditioner after, but my hair still isnt the same. Then I did a series of deep conditioning treatments. The other week i did an aphogee treatment, but still there is shedding. What scares me the most is that the color is not going away.

Was your hair porous before you got the color? That may be the reason why the color doesn't appear to be going anywhere because it was absorbed a lot by your hair. (These are my guesses). Have you tried using something to restore the ph level of your hair? Maybe that will help with the removal of the color as well as the condition of your hair.

I think that it probably was porous. How can i be sure, tho? Is it good for hair to be porous? B/c I liked the way that it was. How do I restore the ph level of my hair?

I'm never going to color my hair again either! I have used permanent color twice, had highlights twice, and did a semi-permanent color once. My hair has suffered dryness and some breakage in the past. NO MORE COLOR for me either!

It's not good to have porous hair as it will lead to more damage. I know some ladies have used Porosity COntrol (I think it's a conditioner) to help restore the PH level of their hair. My shampoo and conditioner already have a low ph so that helps. I just posted something about the normal ph level of hair being 4.5 - 5. I am trying to find it for you.

As far as telling if your hair is porous, someone mentioned placing a strand of your hair in some water and if it sinks, it's porous, if it floats it is NOT porous. Someone also mentioned that after 2 mins, the hair will sink.

ETA
KAddy said:
I got this information from http://www.super-hair.net/dudas4.html
I didn't put the other stuff since this pretty much answered your main question.

Hair in a healthy state should have a pH of between 4.5 - 5.5. Hair's natural oil, sebum, has a pH of 5. On the pH scale of between 1 - 14, 1 being the most acid and 14 being the most alkaline, relaxers have a pH of between 8.4 and 14, thus changing your hair's naturally slightly acid state to alkaline. This will cause the hair to feel dry, coarse, and in extreme cases you may experience hair breakage. It is therefore imperative to take good care of your newly-relaxed hair by the use of pH balanced treatment shampoos and conditioners.

I have never had much success with any color the deposits or lifts so I stick to rinses. They don't last long but they are no ill effects either.

okay, but my hair wasnt dry or breaking. In fact, I never saw any breakage at all before I applied the color. It had excellent elasticityand was very soft. I only used heat like every six weeks when i would go to the salon for my roller set and doobie. I did daily conditioner washes so my hair was nice and soft and I did my protien moisturizing treatments regularly.

Well maybe, since it is just shedding, you should try the garlic shampoo or garlic treatment that some of the other ladies mentioned. That is supposed to help with shedding.

Lovelylocs said:
okay, but my hair wasnt dry or breaking. In fact, I never saw any breakage at all before I applied the color. It had excellent elasticityand was very soft. I only used heat like every six weeks when i would go to the salon for my roller set and doobie. I did daily conditioner washes so my hair was nice and soft and I did my protien moisturizing treatments regularly.
When I mentioned dryness and breakage, I was just sharing my experience with color and why I wouldn't do it again. I'm sorry that you are experiencing shedding and that you do not like the color in your hair.

:think: Do you take any vitamins that can help stop the shedding???

But it is really dry too. I think you are right. It probably is/was porous. B/c the color isn't going anywhere.

KAddy said:
Very similar, but I think she is referring to a demi-permanent.
i.gif
I didn't know semi- and demi- permanent color were two different things. Everytime I saw a post in the past with demi-, I thought they made a typo for semi-! :lol:

Lovelylocs said:
But it is really dry too. I think you are right. It probably is/was porous. B/c the color isn't going anywhere.
Well, I say try something to restore the ph level of your hair. I think you can get porosity control at any local bss.

just curious, if i have my hair highlighted is it ok to get a rinse?
I want to get a dark brown rinse...my highlights are currently light brown,some parts blondish

jaded_faerie said:
just curious, if i have my hair highlighted is it ok to get a rinse?
I want to get a dark brown rinse...my highlights are currently light brown,some parts blondish
Yes it is safe to do that. THat's what I used to do for years. Just get my hair highlighted and apply a rinse or semi color over it.

even though my hair feels kinda dry right now, should I do that tomorrow since I dont like the color? I am getting a relaxer retouch tomorrow anyway.

Lovelylocs said:
even though my hair feels kinda dry right now, should I do that tomorrow since I dont like the color? I am getting a relaxer retouch tomorrow anyway.
Yeah that sounds like a good plan to do it tomorrow. It can't hurt since you are getting a relaxer and would want to restore you hair to it's normal ph afterwards anyway.

Back