I Have SERIOUS detangling issues.......

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Hey ladies,
ok, this is what happens. I CO wash my hair almost every other day because when I did it every day, it seemed like it was breaking more. I wash my hair (once a week) with Nioxin as a clarifying shampoo, then do a protein treatment with Aubrey GPB, then another deep conditioner like elasta qp or lustrasilk.

The problem is that I have to detangle my hair every time I wash because the relaxed ends seem to start knotting and fusing with my natural hair. Since I read a lot of ladies say that detangling with tons of conditioner on their hair after they've washed or deep conditioned works, I've tried that and it is not working for me. No matter when I detangle, I get a nice little ball of hair(about the size of those big gumballs you see in the supermarket) and that's after I roll it all together tightly. I use a wide tooth bone comb, i detangle by sections and I take my time.

I'm wondering if I should be trying to detangle my hair when it's dry instead? What should I do next? I'm not ready to chop. I wanted my hair to last till I get married in Feb. so I can put it up and have ringlets.

I know some peoples hair doesnt respond well when its be being manipulated while wet. You may fit into that catergory. You also may want to invested in a detangling solution/rinse. Some popular ones I remember reading about are Paul Mitchell The Detangler, Biolage, and ION(sally's).

yeah, maybe they aren't making as big of a difference as I thought they were. when I was doing them every other week, my hair broke just as much and when I started doing them weekly.

Should i try the detangling solutions on dry hair? because I've tried both Paul Mitchell and Biolage on wet hair and it made no difference in the amt. of breakage. I haven't tried ION yet, i may have to look into that.

Dang you tried both? No you should use the solution on wet hair. Have you tried to detangle your hair before your wash it(on dry hair). Or wash in sections? I remember hairlove did that while she was transitioning..

I have the same problem you do - so I understand. I have used various combs (including the Jillbere) as well as that Pantene spray, Biolage, and a whole host of others, as well as detangling in sections, under the water and while standing on my head and everything else. I had to stop doing conditioner washes - cause it was just tooo much manipulation and too much hair loss.

The once a week with the GPB shouldn't be an issue as it is a light protein and I've actually found that it helps a little bit with the detangling.

The one thing I can suggest is to detanlge before washing (I used to wear braidouts which looked GREAT but my hair would just knot up when it came time to wash) Now I am airdrying straight - I detangle before getting in the shower and I lose less but it is still alot.

I am relaxed but I am stretching my relaxers and anytime after week 7 - it's drama. You sound like you are losing the same amount as I am (check the hair loss comparisons section in my album to see a reference). If you find something that works a miracle please let me know.

Firstly, it seems like you're washing your hair way too often! Why do you feel the need or desire to wash your hair every other day? It can't be that dirty. I would suggest that you only wash your hair once a week as a maximum, especially since you've been transitioning for almost a year now and from the large amount of breakage you're getting, it seems like your hair type is similar to my own 4b hair. Type 4 hair is quite dry and does not to be washed as frequently as you seem to think and is prone to tangling up especially while transitioning or with a certain amount of newgrowth. Unless your scalp is over producing oil, lay off the washing! LOL

Your frequent washings could be actually weakening your hair as well as exposing it to being tangled more than transitioning hair normally would.

Honestly, it's time for you to cut off that 3 or so inches of relaxed hair that's knotting up on you. I can understand wanting length for your wedding, but you're pulling out too much good hair with that old relaxed hair when you detangle every other day.

Atleast cut off some of your relaxed ends and only wash your hair once a week. The less you manipulate your hair the better. Also, you'll look a heck of a lot better at your wedding with all natural hair than with those weakened old relaxed ends still tangled with your natural hair. HTH

Thanks for the advice ladies....

And Calbear, I'm getting the same size of breakage as you June 6,2004 pic....every time!

I think I will try to detangle before I wash next time with a lot of moisturizur or something. And actually, even though my hair is dry, my scalp gets oily in 2 days. sometimes I go 3 days without washing or rinsing my scalp and by day 3 I'm scratching my scalp like I got lice or something. And you're right, I do need to start letting go of the ends a bit. They have broken off consistently so I never really had to cut I guess. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, it seems like you're washing your hair way too often! Why do you feel the need or desire to wash your hair every other day? It can't be that dirty. I would suggest that you only wash your hair once a week as a maximum, especially since you've been transitioning for almost a year now and from the large amount of breakage you're getting, it seems like your hair type is similar to my own 4b hair. Type 4 hair is quite dry and does not to be washed as frequently as you seem to think and is prone to tangling up especially while transitioning or with a certain amount of newgrowth. Unless your scalp is over producing oil, lay off the washing! LOL

Your frequent washings could be actually weakening your hair as well as exposing it to being tangled more than transitioning hair normally would.

Honestly, it's time for you to cut off that 3 or so inches of relaxed hair that's knotting up on you. I can understand wanting length for your wedding, but you're pulling out too much good hair with that old relaxed hair when you detangle every other day.

Atleast cut off some of your relaxed ends and only wash your hair once a week. The less you manipulate your hair the better. Also, you'll look a heck of a lot better at your wedding with all natural hair than with those weakened old relaxed ends still tangled with your natural hair. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!!!

From what you posted, it seems that you may be washing too much and using too much protein. Also, my experience has been that clarifying shampoos are extremely drying to the hair. May want to limit this to once per month.

Last year when my hair (3a/3b) was severely damaged I had serious detangling issues too. Someone on the board posted good information on the subject, which I modified as for myself follows:

- shampoo w/Motions Lavish conditioning shampoo, or CON, or Optimum Care Super-protecting shampoo
- elucence moisture balancing conditioner
- towel dry
- then apply infusium 23, olive oil, and Motions nourish leave-in conditioner

- remove tangles gently (I use mainly my fingers, one section at a time, then a large-tooth comb, gently starting from the bottom, don't rush)-- see http://www.growafrohairlong.com/

I agree with the statement about protein. I can only do protein once a month. Otherwise, my hair gets really crispy.

I have even found that Infusium 23 dries me out. I have to be very careful because my ends are colored.

Back