I FINALLY tried Aphogee!

Sunshine0801

After years of thinking about trying Aphogee, I finally did it. Here is what I did (step by step):

I was in a protective style for over a month before I used Aphogee, so I had a lot of shed hair that needed to come out before I applied the treatment. So first I loaded my hair up with conditioner (Aveda conditioner and detangler) and gently detangled. I braided my hair up in about six loose braids.

Then it was time to clarify my hair. I don't use shampoo, so I added one tablespoon of baking soda to two cups of warm water. I made two of these mixtures. One mixture was set in a medium sized bowl and the other was in a large bowl. I first took the large bowl and dunked my head in it so that I could really remove the buildup from my scalp. I poured the rest over my head. I gently massaged my scalp with my fingertips and then rinsed. I then took the second bowl (the medium sized one) and dunked each of my loose braids in the bowl. I poured the rest of the mixture over my head and cleansed my scalp and braids. I undid each braid to make sure I removed all of the baking soda when I did my final rinse.

Then it was time for the treatment. I undid a braid, took a section of hair out, applied the treatment from root to tip, and quickly braided it up. I did this for each braid.

I then sat under the dryer until my hair was hard and dry. Next time I will use clips because it took a lot longer for the back section of my hair to dry than the top.

After my hair was dry, I took a shower and rinsed out the Aphogee. While my hair was still braided, I used Kenra MC and conditioned my hair. I let that sit for about 5 minutes and thoroughly rinsed it out after removing the braids (and then quickly rebraiding) in the shower. I got out of the shower, gently pat my hair dry, took out my braids one at a time, and saturated my hair with Kenra MC. I put on a plastic cap and DC'ed for several hours.

After I DC'ed, I was ready to rinse and style my hair. Well, after I rinsed and began to braid, my hair was NOT having it. It was too tangled for me to braid. So I thought about what to do, and decided to DC again, this time overnight and with a more moisturizing DC.

I mixed Kenra MC, a tablespoon of honey, and a cap full of EVOO and applied it to my hair. I then very gently detangled my hair in small sections. I threw on a plastic cap, put my bonnet on top of that, and went to sleep.

The next morning my hair was very soft and very strong. I have seen absolutely NO breakage.

Aphogee will now be part of my regimen. I will be using it every 2 months.

Hope this was helpful to someone! :)

That is a good regimen- but since Kenra MC is not usually a deep condish (in the strictest terms) You can try any DC that specifically requires that it stays on the hair under heat for at least 20 minutes. DPR-11 is a good one and just add your other ingredients in- same results, just quicker. I'm glad you like it. I Love it.

That is a good regimen- but since Kenra MC is not usually a deep condish (in the strictest terms) You can try any DC that specifically requires that it stays on the hair under heat for at least 20 minutes. DPR-11 is a good one and just add your other ingredients in- same results, just quicker. I'm glad you like it. I Love it.

I have always wondered about that. Not to hijack my own thread or anything :look:, but why is Kenra MC not a deep conditioner? On the cover of the bottle, it says something like "deep penetrating formula" which I haven't seen on my other conditioners. I understand that it doesn't require that the conditioner be left on for at least 20 minutes, but it also doesn't say to leave it on for 2 minutes and rinse (some of my other conditioners say something like this). Do you think it's necessary for a conditioner to require heat and a minimum time of 20 minutes or so to be a deep conditioner?

Does DPR-11 have mineral oil or cones in it?

Back