I don't know what I did wrong? Saran Wrapped but it's not working?

naturalmanenyc

Was I to blow out the roots first? I'm trying to avoid using direct heat.

I changed a lot of things tonight so I probably need to just go back to Herbal Essenses Long Term relationship leave-in instead of trying to go no "cones".

I tried Giovanni Direct leave-in after washing with diluted CON and deep conditioning with ORS Replenishing conditioner.

Giovanni Direct didn't give me a lot of slip but I was able to comb my hair without too much resistance. I then rollerset, using more Giovanni Direct (about a teaspoon) in a spray bottle with about 1/2 cup of water. I added a bit of olive oil moisturizer to my dry hair, wrapped it and then topped my hair with saran wrap. I sat under the dryer again for 25 minutes (sweating half to death) and took off the saran wrap to have a look at the results. My hair looked a bit dry; however, it was still soft.

It was not what I expected; however, I have not had a relaxer in over 13 weeks.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/saran-wrap-attempt-/

If the results were not as silky as you expected, maybe the product you used before you wrapped made the inside of the saran wrap too moist and your hair puffed up a little. I think your hair looks great though. It looks soft and swingable :yep:.

ETA: You mentioned you were sweating while you sat under the drier again. Maybe you stayed too long. This could have made your hair revert a bit. I usually go back under the drier with the saran wrap for only ten minutes tops.

Last edited:
Was I to blow out the roots first? I'm trying to avoid using direct heat.

I changed a lot of things tonight so I probably need to just go back to Herbal Essenses Long Term relationship leave-in instead of trying to go no "cones".

I tried Giovanni Direct leave-in after washing with diluted CON and deep conditioning with ORS Replenishing conditioner.

Giovanni Direct didn't give me a lot of slip but I was able to comb my hair without too much resistance. I then rollerset, using more Giovanni Direct (about a teaspoon) in a spray bottle with about 1/2 cup of water. I added a bit of olive oil moisturizer to my dry hair, wrapped it and then topped my hair with saran wrap. I sat under the dryer again for 25 minutes (sweating half to death) and took off the saran wrap to have a look at the results. My hair looked a bit dry; however, it was still soft.

It was not what I expected; however, I have not had a relaxer in over 13 weeks.

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/saran-wrap-attempt-/
Did you add a lot of product? I wouldn't recommend more than a dime sized amount.

I really think you did not get the results you wanted is because you have a lot of new growth. Try again when you have a fresh relexer

If the results were not as silky as you expected, maybe the product you used before you wrapped made the inside of the saran wrap too moist and your hair puffed up a little. I think your hair looks great though. It looks soft and swingable :yep:.

ETA: You mentioned you were sweating while you sat under the drier again. Maybe you stayed too long. This could have made your hair revert a bit. I usually go back under the drier with the saran wrap for only ten minutes tops.

That could be it. I was under the dryer with saran wrap for 25 minutes. I felt a drop of sweat and turned it off.

Last edited:
Did you add a lot of product? I wouldn't recommend more than a dime sized amount.

I really think you did not get the results you wanted is because you have a lot of new growth. Try again when you have a fresh relexer

I think I used only a little moisturizer. I covered the tip of my index finger and then put some of that back.

I'm not relaxing anymore. I'm transitioning to natural and a friend who is natural says it works for her to straighten. I guess I can't randomly place the rollers since I need to straighten the roots during the roller set.

I think you went back under too long. I never go over 15 minutes because I think the longer you sit the more likely it is that your head will start to sweat under the plastic. I found that 10 to 15 min. yields the best results. Also, how much saran wrap did you use? I suggest only one layer. I went around my head too many times once and I didn't like the results as much. My hair didn't come out as silky....I think because the heat couldn't get through the plastic as well or something.

For your roots you might wanna try ponytails for your sets. It will get your roots much straighter. Just try these things and I'm pretty sure you'll have better results. Check my fotki in my 2008 folder for my new silk wrap tutorial. HTH.....oh, and just let me know if you have any questions.

Back