I chopped my hair. I am now Natural. (no pics) sorry

cafe au lait

Hi Ladies, I just cut 8" off of my hair today. :cool: I have been transitioning with braids all this time and this past week I went to a hair stylist to have a sew in. She freaked out she said she couldn't handle my undergrowth without first blowdrying. I told her I don't use heat on my hair. but she and her boss insisted there was no other way. So I allowed it because I was also having trouble combing thru my hair, By the time they finished my hair, my scalp was on fire. It became really itchy and sore. when I got home I rushed to spray braid sheen and ORS olive oil on my scalp they didn't help much at all so I had to take down my weave that same night and wash my hair with cold water and a moisturising shampoo. My scalp still hurts like hell. I am beginning to think the stylist stuck a needle in my scalp or she used a brush infected with lice. I can swear I feel some strange movements in my scalp so I decided I will just cut my hair and start afresh. I only have about an inch to an inch and half of hair left on my head. I guess this means I am now a natural :yay: I am a bit sad as it might take me ages to grow it back.

So, can I get tips and advice about the best natural hair products? Please.
I will be giving away all my other hair care products. the one's I will be keeping are surge and bbd stretch growth creme and all my hair oils. All advice will be appreciated greatly. TIA

congratulations girl!!!!! now, im here if you need someone to give products to....but dont give up on ALL of them yet!!!

how long is it?!?! i never got to do the TWA phase, but i think its for the best, with my ginormous head....

oooh, i bet its so cute!!!!

the number one product i recommend is shea butter!!! its the best thing that ever happened to my hair....

Shatani said:
congratulations girl!!!!! now, im here if you need someone to give products to....but dont give up on ALL of them yet!!!

how long is it?!?! i never got to do the TWA phase, but i think its for the best, with my ginormous head....

oooh, i bet its so cute!!!!

the number one product i recommend is shea butter!!! its the best thing that ever happened to my hair....

Thanks Shatani. If only you lived in the UK. I would have shipped them of to you first thing in the morning. :lol: The ones I am giving away are mostly nexxus, biotin, aveda, sebastian etc Do you think they will work on typical afro hair?
lol @ ginormous head.

I only have about 1" to 1"1/2 of hair on my head.
It's kinda cute. Short hair favors me more. I will be adding shea butter to my list of hair products to get. Is it the unrefined shea butter or will any do? TIA

Last edited:
yeah, girl....a LOT of naturals use those lines....you should give them a shot before you give them away!!!

and yeah, i use unrefined....i put what i want in it, and i always KNOW whats in it that way....

Do you mean products for natural hair, or natural/organic products? (If you just mean products for your natural hair, you should try some of what you have. Some of those things might work very well. Don't throw them out too quickly!) Congrats on your b/c....but I'm sorry about the experience you had. That sounds terrible. I cringed when I read it!

I like avocado butter a lot. Many people love shea butter as Shatani suggested. I don't like the smell of unrefined shea butter. If you have that reaction too you can always add essential oils.

Congrats!! I too recommend shea butter. Also, if you haven't already tried conditioner washes, I recommend those too. :)

Cichelle said:
Do you mean products for natural hair, or natural/organic products? (If you just mean products for your natural hair, you should try some of what you have. Some of those things might work very well. Don't throw them out too quickly!) Congrats on your b/c....but I'm sorry about the experience you had. That sounds terrible. I cringed when I read it!

I like avocado butter a lot. Many people love shea butter as Shatani suggested. I don't like the smell of unrefined shea butter. If you have that reaction too you can always add essential oils.
yeah, thats what i do!! all my shea butter smells like peppermint :D

Cichelle said:

Thanks. Yeah! I meant products that were best for natural hair. I will give my old hair products a try then. I just thought, at best they will work on relaxed hair. I have avocado oil. What is avocado butter? Is it unrefined too? I will try to do a search.

I try to avoid hair stylist as much as I can.....but I am glad because if I hadn't had that experience I would never have made up my mind to chop my hair. I guess eveything worked out for the best. I am just waiting for my scalp to heal. Thks 4 advice

MeccaMedinah said:
Congrats!! I too recommend shea butter. Also, if you haven't already tried conditioner washes, I recommend those too. :)

Thanks! conditioner washes means washing your hair with a conditioner instead of shampoo. right?

Congrat to you on your big chop. I have been wearing braids for about 4-5 months now. I think I am going to transition, too. I am not bold enough to cut it all off right now. My head is way too big.

For products, I recommend keeping it simple. Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and Keracare Humecto conditioner are fantastic! Both make coarse hair feel soft and smell amazing.

Cherokee said:
Congrat to you on your big chop. I have been wearing braids for about 4-5 months now. I think I am going to transition, too. I am not bold enough to cut it all off right now. My head is way too big.

Thanks Cherokee! Good luck on your transitioning.

caligirl said:
For products, I recommend keeping it simple. Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and Keracare Humecto conditioner are fantastic! Both make coarse hair feel soft and smell amazing.

Thanks Caligirl. I will add to my list. I like keracare humecto too.

Well, although you had to do it after a major hair crisis congratulations on your big chop! :) What's your hair type? I'm transitioning and I've been using Redken's All Soft shampoo and conditioner. I have a lot of new growth, and a huge area in the back that's already mostly natural (my last relaxer didn't take well there for some reason) and Redken works very well. It makes my hair very soft and more manageable.

Oh, and by the way... my hair type is 4A--nappy.

Congrats on your BC!!! :bouncy: It will grow out in no time. Enjoy your twa phase definitely --- it goes by so fast!! -- jainygirl

Stormy said:
Well, although you had to do it after a major hair crisis congratulations on your big chop! :) What's your hair type? I'm transitioning and I've been using Redken's All Soft shampoo and conditioner. I have a lot of new growth, and a huge area in the back that's already mostly natural (my last relaxer didn't take well there for some reason) and Redken works very well. It makes my hair very soft and more manageable.

Oh, and by the way... my hair type is 4A--nappy.

Thanks Stormy, I am not sure but I think 4a. I have a couple of redken products. I used the redken all soft conditioner when I took down my braids. It was alright. I might get the shampoo to go with. Good luck transitioning.

:grin: Welcome to the natural world! I am new at this also so I guess we will be support sisters. :lachen: Please Please Please don't let me texturize and help me when I am struggling with my prior addiction to the creamy crack & color.

jainygirl said:
Congrats on your BC!!! :bouncy: It will grow out in no time. Enjoy your twa phase definitely --- it goes by so fast!! -- jainygirl

Thanks Jainygirl. I am enjoying it so far, I feel great. It really is freeing, but I can't wait to grow it out a bit. I think officially, Right now. I have the shortest hair on this board. I will try not to look at the albums of the ladies with extremely long hair so I don't drive myself insane. HHG

latia said:
:grin: Welcome to the natural world! I am new at this also so I guess we will be support sisters. :lachen: Please Please Please don't let me texturize and help me when I am struggling with my prior addiction to the creamy crack & color.

YOuuuu got it, sis!

Back