I Can’t Believe I Did The “Medium Chop” (From BSL to Below SL … Pics Inside)

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I went to Too Groovy Salon and Spa in Atlanta today to get my hair flat ironed and trimmed. I’ve been experiencing a disturbing amount of breakage and overall thinning lately, especially on my ends (I'm pretty sure it's due to me manipulating my hair way too much). Since I'm transitioning to natural hair anyway, I considered doing a big chop and just cutting my hair off to the new growth (I have about 5 inches of new growth). But … since I’m too chicken to chop off so much of my hair, I figured a medium chop would be a good compromise. The stylist said that I needed anywhere from 4-6 inches taken off to totally get rid of the dead and thin ends (and I agreed and gave her the go ahead to chop away). I thought that I would be devastated about the hair cut; but surprisingly, I’m OK about it. I think it looks sooooo much healthier.

I just wanted to share with my LHCF sistahs. I've included a pic of the new cut below (I have more in my Fotki): http://public.fotki.com/TaraDyan/2007-hair-journey--/progress/ (password in profile).

I went from this:

Summer_Hair.jpg

To this (09-09-07)!!

NewCut090907.jpg

Great progress, and good decision on the trim(i'm so afraid to label it a cut- cause I might cry lol) I do like the new style though.

Thanks mucho, ladies. This is the shortest that it has ever been (well ... not counting the time when I was 14 when my hair fell out from swimming pool chlorine, but I digress).

I do think it looks so much healthier now. It's amazing what a good cut will do for a sistah.

Your new cut is so cute! and it looks so bouncy and healthy! :grin:

You're right.. it's amazing what a fresh cut can do for one's confidence!! I hope you are sportin' your new cut proudly 'cause you look FAB! :yep:

Your hair looks great..:grin:

Who was your stylist at Too Groovy? I was supposed to go to Robin, but they called and told me she no longer worked there, so I gave up...

Thanks so much to all of you for the compliments, ladies. I genuinely appreciate the kind words. I'm going to have to make sure I treat my hair like fine lace for the next few months now trying to grow this back out.

Smitge: I had a stylist named Terry. She's only been with the shop since May of this year, but she's been doing hair for 11 years. Although she did a great job on the cut, she burned me quite a few times with the flat iron. When I complained to her, she was really nonchalant about it saying "it happens sometimes". Yeah, but I'm gonna need you to NOT set my scalp on fire, mkay? Plus, her detangling method left much to be desired. Homegirl was raking through my hair with a shampoo brush. Ummmmm ... noooooooooo.

Tishee: I normally go to Balisi, but I just wanted to try the salon because my friend kept raving about how great they are. Seriously ... I think Balisi is better and her prices are more reasonable to boot. I don't think I'll try Too Groovy again, but you might have a better experience.

Your hair looks gorgeous. It looks full, bouncy and healthy. I love the color. Don't you feel like you have a whole new head of hair? Your transition should be way easier now.

Your hair looks lush and healthy!!! Love the shine!

I can totally relate to your decision to cut- I did a "medium chop" recently and it has made the transition process much easier. Good luck on the rest of your transition:)

Back