I Am Not My Hair...

LeNghtyDreAms

by India Arie, have any of you ladies heard it? I was just reading the thread Hair predjudice from women of color, and it make me think of this song.
I love Ms Arie, and when i heard she had a new song out i was excited. Then she started singing about how people are judged by their hair and not who they are. How people put a lot of emphasis on hair, and i started to feel bad because i do spend alot of time and effort on my hair.

But i realize that I am not my hair, but it is apart of me and it should be healthy just like the rest of my body.

haven't heard this song, but it reminds me of something..

I was at the mall and was in this clothing shop looking at Rocawear and Baby Phat type of clothes. One of the sales men came up to me and was like "that's not your style" I laughed and was like "well what is then?" He pointed to a bob marley t shirt. I had my hair in an afro puff and I assume that's why he said it. My boyfriend took offense because he doesn't like that he made the assumption. I liked the Bob Marley shirt so i didn't think anything of it, but then I thought about why he said it. He totally stereotyped me!!!! Just because I have natural hair does NOT mean I can't wear the latest fashions. People expect me to look rasta or earthy all the damn time and that is not me.

Back