How to make conrows neat and how to hold hair?

OK, I am on a mission to learn how to properly do cornrows. So far, I have managed to make what can pass for a sloppy cornrow. I mean, if someone put a gun to my head, I could get it done, but it wouldnt' be pretty. How do you get the plaits to be even and neat when making the cornrows. And the next question, how do you hold the hair and position your fingers. I mean, I know you start by dividing the hair into 3 sections, and you put the right under the middle, then the left under what used to be the right, etc. But, what fingers are holding the left, right and middle strands when you start, and then how are you using your fingers to neatly pick up the hair that you are incorporating into the braid?

I just learned myself on how to cornrow, Now I am a cornrowing fool, they aren't perfect but they look good for a first timer, I don't use extensions because that looks to hard, but I might try it on my daughters hair, But I keep mine smooth with FOTE Aloe Vera Gel,and I do small rows, I mean some cornrow overhand and some underhand, I learned to cornrow whichever way works for me.

But I had purchased an instruction DVD by Breslin and it helped alot. But just keep practicing and it will come out perfect. I feel good knowing I can cornrow my hair back and put on a Phony Pony without having to gel it all back and have wet hair for 24hrs. LOL!!!!
Just keep practicing.

I'd like to know some other methods as well. I think I'd have to use 4 mirrors. Like you, mine would come out sloppy.

On motown girl's website (www.motowngirl.com) she has a hairstyle how-to section where she describes how to cornrow hair. That's where I went to learn how to cornrow. I haven't practiced enough for mine to be neat, but I found that her explanation gave good details and got me on track.

For those that don't want to go to the website:

Step 1: Decide which direction you want your cornrows to go in

Step 2: With damp hair and a comb, use a pick to gently comb your hair out then make a part in your hair. You may need someone else to help you in the back.

Step 3: With that section, take a small section in the front and separate it into three pieces: outer left, middle, and outer right.

Step 4: Place the outer left piece over the middle, and the middle piece becomes the outer left.

Step 5: As you braid, you are going to pick up the rest of the hair in that row. Make sure when you grab the hair, you drop the strand you started with. When you get to the next braid grab those hairs that you dropped instead of grabbing new ones, and so on and so forth.

Step 6: You may want to add a rubber band at the end to keep it together. I simply use my finger and twirl it around a few times. This keeps it in place until I take them out.

She also includes some other tips for cornrowing and how to moisturize them.

Hopefully this helps. Her explanation seems geared towards beginners.
Also, just so you know, these instruction came from a site on how to style natural hair. But I think the technique would be the same for relaxed hair as well.

SEMO said:
On motown girl's website (www.motowngirl.com) she has a hairstyle how-to section where she describes how to cornrow hair. That's where I went to learn how to cornrow. I haven't practiced enough for mine to be neat, but I found that her explanation gave good details and got me on track.

For those that don't want to go to the website:

Step 1: Decide which direction you want your cornrows to go in

Step 2: With damp hair and a comb, use a pick to gently comb your hair out then make a part in your hair. You may need someone else to help you in the back.

Step 3: With that section, take a small section in the front and separate it into three pieces: outer left, middle, and outer right.

Step 4: Place the outer left piece over the middle, and the middle piece becomes the outer left.

Step 5: As you braid, you are going to pick up the rest of the hair in that row. Make sure when you grab the hair, you drop the strand you started with. When you get to the next braid grab those hairs that you dropped instead of grabbing new ones, and so on and so forth.

Step 6: You may want to add a rubber band at the end to keep it together. I simply use my finger and twirl it around a few times. This keeps it in place until I take them out.

She also includes some other tips for cornrowing and how to moisturize them.

Hopefully this helps. Her explanation seems geared towards beginners.
Also, just so you know, these instruction came from a site on how to style natural hair. But I think the technique would be the same for relaxed hair as well.
Thanks. I will try these instructions when I get home.

Make sure you grab the hair in a "pinching" motion, with the thumb and the fore finger. Also it helps to pick up very small pieces of hair when you are first learning, they end up looking much neater.

While "pinching".....the pieces not being used (the outer pieces) are held between the middle finger knuckle and ring finger knuckles.

Also, when I first started I would pick up the hair too far down, you should pick up the hair very close to the scalp and lift it "up" into the braid rather than "over" or "out".

I don't know if this is clear but I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back