how to interview a stylist

newflowers

and what questions should I ask?

I was shopping in my local 2nd Street Beauty, and the stylist came out to talk me me while I was drooling over the extra large size of Kerastase. We talked about using ceramides for relaxed hair and general product talk in general and specifically for relaxed hair. This woman really seemed to know what's what. She asked me about using protein and I told her about the board and my discovery of silk peptide powder and how I blend it in my Phytojoba to do protein. She was really excited and interested. So I told her about the protein step before neutralizing - she said she did that. So now I'm getting really excited. We talked some more and she asked if I self-relaxed; I said yes. She asked how I do it without overlapping. I told her I coated my hair, and she says that's what she does for clients as well. So, long story short, it seemed she knew what she was doing when it comes to relaxed hair - from the conversation. She even recommended that I speak to one of her clients who works in a store down the street.

All of this seems very positive to me. And now I am thinking that I might consider having her do my hair next time. She said if I bring my own product (Phytospecific) she would charge $45. She highly recommends Phyto and knew the ins and outs of the products I use. I told her about Polly and Co and she was super excited. It's not time for me to relax just yet, but I'm going to see her for a light trim and a roller set.

I think I am excited because NO ONE around here does black hair, but I don't want to get carried away and plop in the first chair of someone who seems to know what I want.

During the roller set, I would like to conduct an interview to make sure that I really want her to do my hair. What questions do you think I should ask? What are some red flags I should beware of? Can you think of anything, well, tricky, that I can ask to make really, really sure she knows her business?

Right now I know the following:

She knows the products I use.
She is willing to use the Phytospecific.
She has seven years experience relaxing hair.
She seems open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

What else do I need to know? If you were looking for the perfect stylist, what would you want?

I would want to know their attitude towards trimming, i.e. if they believe trimming contributes to growth. I'd also want to know if they differentiate between dusting, trimming and cutting or use the terms interchangeably. And finally, if they trim for style or health.

Oh! I did not even think of that one. Thanks.

I have not been to an official stylist in a salon in years. Maybe interview first - even before the trim and roller set?

Maybe not the rollerset so much, but definitely before the trim. If you don't have a good understanding of her methods/attitude you may get up from the chair with less hair than you'd planned on trimming away. I would definitely take her up on her offer to speak with her client. Or arrive early for your appt.(if possible) and observe how she handles them.

Last edited:
and what questions should I ask?

She asked how I do it without overlapping. I told her I coated my hair, and she says that's what she does for clients as well. So, long story short, it seemed she knew what she was doing when it comes to relaxed hair - from the conversation. She even recommended that I speak to one of her clients who works in a store down the street.

What do you mean you coat your hair? How is this done?

Thanks Diva - another good point - we need to make sure we're working with the same definitions.

Before I relaxed, I put castor oil on the previously relaxed parts to make sure it was covered and I would not overprocess it.

I remember going to a stylist and asked her questions and she started laughing. She said nobody has ever asked her questions before or even cared. She was really good though and she took care of my hair when it was relaxed.

I asked her what products does she use
asked her how she felt about trimming
how she felt about relaxer and how often does she give touchup
how she felt about heat
condtioning treatments
certain hairstyles
booking
I already knew how long she was in the business , so I didn't need to ask that.
What was her clientele like

*Sigh* I'm such a downer when it comes to these things, but I wanted to throw in my $.02 :grin: Here goes...

I find I learn a whole lot more from watching the stylist than interviewing her. I'm pretty cynical after a bad experience I had with a stylist that came very highly recommended, and realized they can say anything to get my business, but do they really practice what they preach? Not always.

Besides asking her the questions others have (and will) recommend, go to your appointment at least an hour early to see how she treats her other customers' hair. Saturday morning is a great time to observe her retouch process. I know it seems little strange, but I've watched a few stylists like this and have cancelled my pending appointment on the spot because of what I've seen. :nono: :nono::nono: Really, an extra hour of my time is better than a botched touchup or unwanted hair cut.

Also, take up her offer to speak to other customers for their testimonials, but take it with a grain of salt: she'll only give you the contacts for satisfied customers. (I know this is stating the obvious, but there it is. :lol: )

I hope this info. is helpful. I learned my lesson the hard way (I could have done without the bald spots), but the lesson led me to an excellent stylist. :yep: Good luck!!!

Thanks for the links ladies - Navs information about adding silk - it's a staple, and I have different types that I use at different times. I find that spraying the hair with pure silk protein is better done the day before so my hair is completely dry before I use the castor oil and begin the relaxing process.

I had not read the thread by Basili as until yesterday, I had no intention of going to another stylist - I too have been burned (literally and figuratively) before. Thanks - it's an informative read. I will have to go back and take notes to add to my notebook.

ladies you really are the best. I feel more grounded after reading your advise; I'm still excited that I may have found someone I can go to to do my hair, but I am not feeling so starry-eyed any longer.

Please feel free to offer any other advise - I made an appointment for Saturday for a wash and set.

i think its really interesting that she asked you what you did to your hair and then she 'coincidentally' did the same thing to her client's hair. it kinda reminds me of how psychics ask a bunch of questions and then all of a sudden they can give you a reading of your past or tell you something about yourself when in actuality you have just given them all of the info they need. Actions always speak louder than words so just watch her like a hawk when you visit her salon and then let her do your hair. also, you should probably take anything that her customer says with a grain of salt b/c she could have a relationship with the stylist that doesn't allow them to tell you the truth ie the customer could be her sister/friend/cousin/in-law

Thanks for the links ladies - Navs information about adding silk - it's a staple, and I have different types that I use at different times. I find that spraying the hair with pure silk protein is better done the day before so my hair is completely dry before I use the castor oil and begin the relaxing process.

I had not read the thread by Basili as until yesterday, I had no intention of going to another stylist - I too have been burned (literally and figuratively) before. Thanks - it's an informative read. I will have to go back and take notes to add to my notebook.

ladies you really are the best. I feel more grounded after reading your advise; I'm still excited that I may have found someone I can go to to do my hair, but I am not feeling so starry-eyed any longer.

Please feel free to offer any other advise - I made an appointment for Saturday for a wash and set.

Well do share the details:grin: Did you use the regular or the JBCO?

Stylist are not my friend:nono: figuretively. One of my closest friends is a stylist, a very good one too. She can style her butt off. But as far as hair care, its different to me. I dont wear all those gel'd up spritz up hair styles that most of her client looove. I dont go to her also because she is a close friend, which means i cant tame her with the scissor.

Well do share the details:grin: Did you use the regular or the JBCO?

I tried to use the JBCO, but that did not work out so well; I ordered it, but it never arrived. Sam's never charged my card, so that's okay. I purchased organic castor oil from Wild Oats instead. It's thick and kind of sticky, but I mix it with camellia oil for my ends before I put my hair up in the mornings and at night.

For the relaxing, I got a little carried away during my "how to use protein" lessons, and bought pretty much all of them inclusing the silk peptide powder (really good stuff). I make a blend of proteins and spray my hair the night before relaxing so there is plenty of drying time. After getting all of my products and equipment together, I section my hair into little parts - like maybe one inch - and using castor oil I poured into a bowl, I dip my fingers, coat the hair, and move to the next section until I;m all done. My focus is the already relaxed part. This stuff is thick and it covers well. I can still feel it when rinse the relaxer.

Now, I have to say that though I have been relaxing my hair for decades, it is only the last relaxer I've followed these procedures - it's my new LHCF regime, methods, and products. It may not be as simple as some ladies, but it works super well for me. The relaxer before was all new gorwth, so no worries about overlapping.

That said, I am feeling all squishy with love and appreciation for the ladies here - and my hair is so wonderful it's not even funny.

Thanks everyone for the stylist advice. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Back