HOw to get MAXIMUM GROWTH with Braids???

itismehmmkay

So, I went ahead and got some cute free-style braids this weekend. I'm pumped! I plan to grow out my hair and then get a mild relaxer, cute cut and sport a wash n wear while continuing to grow my hair.

What are some tried and true methods of maximizing growth with braids. I know braids are wonderful because you're not manipulating your hair, the scalp is exposed, and you can keep constant moisture on your hair and scalp w/o disturbing the style.

I have the wet/wavy hair, so I wet the hair everyday and in turn wet my scalp daily. I was thinking doing Surge, but I don't plan on washing my hair often. The same is true with braid spray. I used to use braid spray daily when I had braids in the pass, but I'm thinking of just using it weekly, and then washing my hair maybe every 3 weeks...then getting my edges done every 4-5 weeks to minimize any matting. Then get the other sections done every 6-7 weeks.

Any more tips would be appreciated!

I would just say be careful with the daily wetting, from experience. Bacteria, mold, and fungi like warm wet dark places where they aren't going to be disturbed, like underneath your braids!

I hope you get lots of healthy growth, and enjoy being carefree in the meantime:)

itismehmmkay said:
So, I went ahead and got some cute free-style braids this weekend. I'm pumped! I plan to grow out my hair and then get a mild relaxer, cute cut and sport a wash n wear while continuing to grow my hair.

What are some tried and true methods of maximizing growth with braids. I know braids are wonderful because you're not manipulating your hair, the scalp is exposed, and you can keep constant moisture on your hair and scalp w/o disturbing the style.

I have the wet/wavy hair, so I wet the hair everyday and in turn wet my scalp daily. I was thinking doing Surge, but I don't plan on washing my hair often. The same is true with braid spray. I used to use braid spray daily when I had braids in the pass, but I'm thinking of just using it weekly, and then washing my hair maybe every 3 weeks...then getting my edges done every 4-5 weeks to minimize any matting. Then get the other sections done every 6-7 weeks.

Any more tips would be appreciated!

Since most Braid Spray is mostly water, could you just use that to wet your hair everyday?

CurliDiva said:
Since most Braid Spray is mostly water, could you just use that to wet your hair everyday?

I theory you could, but I think that braid sprays also contain Essential Oils and carrier oils that are really good for your hair and lubricate the shaft that will resolve any issues with dryness. You can also make your own braid spray concoction (check out the recipe board). I make mine with distilled water, olive oil, essential oils of sweet orange, eucalyptus, and peppermint along with some glycerin and some Sta-Sof-Fro. You can find all these ingredients at your local health food store.

I'm planning to get braids this weekend because I need some "style" inspiration and max growth between now and Spring. ;)
I plan to continue using MTG (I'm used to the smell :lachen: ) and I just started to use Surge 14 Spray again. I love SCURL, so I’ll definitely continue to use it on my braids.

I figure the antifungal properties of MTG and the water from the surge spray will keep my scalp clean and moist between regular shampoos.

CurliDiva said:
I'm planning to get braids this weekend because I need some "style" inspiration and max growth between now and Spring. ;)
I plan to continue using MTG (I'm used to the smell :lachen: ) and I just started to use Surge 14 Spray again. I love SCURL, so I’ll definitely continue to use it on my braids.

I figure the antifungal properties of MTG and the water from the surge spray will keep my scalp clean and moist between regular shampoos.

CurlDiva,

Do you mind telling me how you plan on using surge & mtg while you have braids?
thanks in advance

I also have experience growth by taking my vitamins and drinking my protien shakes. I also used Surge for the 14 days twice a day Around my edges. I also use a q-tip and dip it in MTG and grase my scalp. I have almost micro sized braids. This is a long process a a friend tio help if you can.

Well I have Surged before with freestyles and that was pretty cool. But now I have had cornrows for 2 weeks tomorrow and my hair is very frizzy at the roots. If the fake hair looked more natural, I would look like those little girls with fuzzy cornrows, that need to have their cornrows touched up, my hair has grown quite a bit in 2 weeks I think. I would like to say that I have at least a 1/2 inch of growth, if not more. November 20, I have been MTGing for about 4 or 5 weeks and I bought some Surge and starting spraying Surge and MTG twice a day, for a while my scalp was itching a lot(and not the normal braid fake hair itch), (my mom used to say if it's itching, and it's not dirty, your hair is growing), but my scalp has been sensitive (to scratch) especially around the edges, very irritating, I must say, I stopped MTGing a couple of days or so, because my scalp kind of stings. Wednesday I think I will take these bad boys down and see just how much my hair has grown in 2 weeks and wear a braid out. My braids were looking tired after a week in my opinion. Friday morning I will get my hair straightened, so hopefully I will have pics for you guys next week, after my friend's wedding events this weekend. I am so excited about it all, I am praying that I don't have to get a major trim again, like I did back in March, the last time I got my hair straightened.

Last edited:
tishee said:
CurlDiva,

Do you mind telling me how you plan on using surge & mtg while you have braids?
thanks in advance

:) I been using MTG since Sept to with great results, but Surge (alone) mades my hair hard. I apply MTG directly to my scalp very lightly (using a plastic tipped bottle to avoid drips) and then then spray with Surge. You will have to touch up more often, because this combo will make your hair grow out faster.

I'm glad to see this thread, as I will be getting braids again this weekend also. It's been almost a while, so the refresher on how to maximize my braids is appreciated!

I just got twists put in this past weekend. I just plan to continue using MTG and doing my daily moisturizing. I hope this doesn't cause crazy buildup. I bought braid spray but I barely use. Still using my moisturizer of conditioner, water, and glycerin.

Back