How to flat twist?!?!?

thickness

I recently got my hair flat twisted at the salon. She only did about 8 going straight back. When I took it a loose, it was absolutely gorgeous! I prefer that look over individual twists and plus it takes less time. Well, when I tried to duplicate the look, it came out awful. No definition and it was very poofy. I can't figure out what I did wrong because I used the exact same products as she did. My sister says I did not twist tight enough, but I don't think that is the problem. I think it is my technique. Do you ladies have any suggestions? Or, does anyone know of a instructional video I can purchase? I really want to figure this out, because I do not want to pay someone $45 to do this style. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I stink at this too. I can cornrow but for some reason I can't get this down. And twistout look much better than braidouts IMHO. Please someone help us!!! :)

Check out the Motowngirl.com website under the how to section
she gives step by step instructions on twists

Did she do flat twists or 2 strand flat twists? It helps if you know how to cornrow your own hair. Its just like cornrowing except with 2 pieces of hair. Twist, pick up hair, twist pick up hair, repeat until finished..... I have a lil makeshift tutorial in my fotki but its hard to elxplain with pictures.... Which part is the hardest for you? Most people have a hard time with the actual twistsing it flat...

beyondcute said:
Did she do flat twists or 2 strand flat twists? It helps if you know how to cornrow your own hair. Its just like cornrowing except with 2 pieces of hair. Twist, pick up hair, twist pick up hair, repeat until finished..... I have a lil makeshift tutorial in my fotki but its hard to elxplain with pictures.... Which part is the hardest for you? Most people have a hard time with the actual twistsing it flat...

She did flat twists. I know how to cornrow okay, but my flat twists look kind of puffy. Maybe I'm picking up too much hair as I'm twisting back. :confused:

My problem is when I get to the end, what do I do? If I just put a rubberband on the end, the who twist loosens up.

thickness said:
She did flat twists. I know how to cornrow okay, but my flat twists look kind of puffy. Maybe I'm picking up too much hair as I'm twisting back. :confused:
You have to hold the hair taut (tight) like you are cornrowing and you also need to add setting lotion (atleats 50% diluted). The tighter the twist the mroe defined the curl. The bigger the part the bigger the curl and the smaller the parts the smaller the curl. If you liked the size you had before than make sure your parts are even.

baglady215 said:
My problem is when I get to the end, what do I do? If I just put a rubberband on the end, the who twist loosens up.
Put a rubber band at the nape AND at the end of the twist. It will unravel and get loose if you dont put a band at the nape (where you run out of hair to pick up).

Like this.....
100_0699-vi.jpg

The ends will still puff up a bit but it will be fine. Trust me :)

beyondcute said:
Put a rubber band at the nape AND at the end of the twist. It will unravel and get loose if you dont put a band at the nape (where you run out of hair to pick up).

Like this.....
100_0699-vi.jpg

Thank you! I will try this tonight!

beyondcute said:

Like this.....
100_0699-vi.jpg

Thanks for the visual! Now I see what I'm doing wrong. I'm grabbing too much hair. I'll try it tonight. But, I still would love to buy an instructional video. Any recommendations?

Back