How to baggy short hair.

KenyafromCT

If one has natural short hair, what’s the best way to baggy?? Does one baggy the entire head or hair the ends? Should I wet my hair first?

i would say baggy the hair with a shower cap on the whole head and put maybe a wig or something over it. U don't necessarily have to wet the whole head but u want to put the dc or oil concoction on the length and baggy the whole head under a shower cap.... i find the less water the better so it works well with oils imo...

Did you use any conditioner? Or that’s not necessary? How long did you keep cap on? Can one sit under a dryer for a few minutes for extra heat?

You don't need any conditioner. That's more like doing a deep conditioning treatment when you put conditioner on the hair and then you sit under heat. The baggie method is partly to keep the ends protected and moist OUTSIDE of deep conditioning treatment days. In theory, most folks deep condition about every 3 to 7 days. Some deep Condition every 2 weeks. Those days are GREAT moisture absorbing treatments for the hair. The baggie method helps the hair to have moisture, water is what moisturizes the hair, on the days you don't have the conditioning treatment [where you put water in BEFORE you condition]. The Baggie Method protects the ends. It helps to slow down the evaporation rate of the water, especially if you are putting occlusive products like butter or grease on top of the water wetted hair. The baggie works like a miniature sauna or steamer to keep in moisture and protect the ends from friction and breakage and of course, slows the evaporation of the moisture.

Did you use any conditioner? Or that’s not necessary? How long did you keep cap on? Can one sit under a dryer for a few minutes for extra heat?
Yeah what Chicoro said lol. Just pop it on for a few minutes (how long is up to you, but I don’t go past 30 minutes or else I have a problem on my hands), when you’re done take it off and go about your day or moisturize and seal and go about your day. It really depends on you and what your hair likes.

Yeah what Chicoro said lol. Just pop it on for a few minutes (how long is up to you, but I don’t go past 30 minutes or else I have a problem on my hands), when you’re done take it off and go about your day or moisturize and seal and go about your day. It really depends on you and what your hair likes.
Ok. Thank you. I’ll start tomorrow. Today is wash day.

I incorporate baggying in my 'routine', although it isn't something I do often. I still find it beneficial. When my hair was shorter I did a sort of intensive longterm baggie routine, 1/2/3 weeks a time for some months. Now, I know it's not for everyone. As @Chicoro describes in such detail, but I used a plain plastic bag over my entire head. I would either tie my head up with a colourful head wrap, or wear a wig. I was researching a lot to try and promote growth of bald spots at the time, and this was one of the things that gave me positive results.

Oh wow. Do you didn’t worry mold growing?? That’s my biggest fear with allowing my hair to be wet for too long. I had a horrible embarrassing battle with dandruff for 25 years. Nothing helped until I found JBCO for hair growth. Remember when it was all the rage some years ago? Well I jumped on as well & what I noticed immediately? My dandruff was 95% gone. I was thrilled.

Oh wow. Do you didn’t worry mold growing?? That’s my biggest fear with allowing my hair to be wet for too long. I had a horrible embarrassing battle with dandruff for 25 years. Nothing helped until I found JBCO for hair growth. Remember when it was all the rage some years ago? Well I jumped on as well & what I noticed immediately? My dandruff was 95% gone. I was thrilled.
@KenyafromCT I did worry lol, it's part of the reason why I would take it off after only a week or two, to check for any negative changes my scalp and hair.

Ok. Wow. That’s awesome. I will start by warring the cap when I’m home. I need to find a wig that will fit my extra large head.

@KenyafromCT I did worry lol, it's part of the reason why I would take it off after only a week or two, to check for any negative changes my scalp and hair.
This whole baggying process reminds me of when folks went hard for their Jheri Curls! They were always in their shower caps. And their hair grew like crazy. That shower cap/glycerin combo was so beneficial.

When you say problem…please expound. Does that mean you end up with scalp issues? Too wet? I meant to ask you this the other day. I baggyed for 2 hours yesterday and 3 today.

When you say problem…please expound. Does that mean you end up with scalp issues? Too wet? I meant to ask you this the other day. I baggyed for 2 hours yesterday and 3 today.
My scalp gets extremely itchy and I scratch myself sore. My poor baby does not like being moist for an extended period of time.

Ooooh I have not done this in a long while. I think I will be baggying my hair tonight. My hair could use a little green house effect (GHE). I just applied some Dominican Magic Nourishing Moisture Lock to my hair and a blend of jbco and scalp drops to my scalp - not using any oils to seal my ends tonight). My scalp and hair feels quite happy right now. I will sleep with mine baggied overnight, wash and deep condition tomorrow after church. Perhaps I will repeat the baggying tomorrow night as well. I will assess my hair after the treatment and make a decision after that.

@KenyafromCT, all the best hon. I believe that your hair will love baggying. Just make sure that your hair needs it though. Sometimes the hair can suffer from hygral fatigue - which is to much moisture for prolonged periods of time. In this case they will begin to snap off because they are too moisturized/overly mushy - yes it is possible to have hair that is over moisturized. Pay close attention to how your hair is behaving while you use this method.

Last edited:
Ooooh I have not done this in a long while. I think I will be baggying my hair tonight. My hair could use a little green house effect (GHE). I just applied some Dominican Magic Nourishing Moisture Lock to my hair and a blend of jbco and scalp drops to my scalp - not using any oils to seal my ends tonight). My scalp and hair feels quite happy right now. I will sleep with mine baggied overnight, wash and deep condition tomorrow after church. Perhaps I will repeat the baggying tomorrow night as well. I will access my hair after the treatment and make a decision after that.

@KenyafromCT, all the best hon. I believe that your hair will love baggying. Just make sure that your hair needs it though. Sometimes the hair can suffer from hygral fatigue - which is to much moisture for prolonged periods of time. In this case they will begin to snap off because they are too moisturized/overly mushy - yes it is possible to have hair that is over moisturized. Pay close attention to how your hair is behaving while you use this method.
Wow. Never even considered that. Ugh. So many rules to this hair thing. Lolol. I will do it every other day. Or maybe 3times/week. I’m so sick of these fairy knots. I swear. It seems like I’m snipping little knots out constantly so obviously bagging is not working for my hair. I did it two days in a row. Sigh.

Ok
Ooooh I have not done this in a long while. I think I will be baggying my hair tonight. My hair could use a little green house effect (GHE). I just applied some Dominican Magic Nourishing Moisture Lock to my hair and a blend of jbco and scalp drops to my scalp - not using any oils to seal my ends tonight). My scalp and hair feels quite happy right now. I will sleep with mine baggied overnight, wash and deep condition tomorrow after church. Perhaps I will repeat the baggying tomorrow night as well. I will access my hair after the treatment and make a decision after that.

And I forgot to ask about Dominican Magic. Do you use the whole line? I had never heard of it and Googled it. Is there lots of protein in what you use? My hair isn’t a fan of it.

Ok

And I forgot to ask about Dominican Magic. Do you use the whole line? I had never heard of it and Googled it. Is there lots of protein in what you use? My hair isn’t a fan of it.
No I have not used the whole line. I have used their moisturizing deep conditioner years ago and it was pretty good. The leave-in was so-so on my hair. I finished it and most likely will not be repurchasing anything in this line moving forward.

No I have not used the whole line. I have used their moisturizing deep conditioner years ago and it was pretty good. The leave-in was so-so on my hair. I finished it and most likely will not be repurchasing anything in this line moving forward.
Ahh ok. Your initial comment about it made me think you had success with it.

Back