How often should you alternate products?

freckles

Good morning, I hope everyone is enjoying a blessed day!

I was wondering how often you should alternate products, I'd previously heard every 6 months. Is it necessary to change products? I saw brownrelaxedhair photos( you have beautiful hair by the way)and noticed she uses several different conditioners, shampoos and styling products, Others I've read that they stick with one particular line of haircare products. So do you use several differnt products and alternate between washes, or stick with one particular brand and rotate after so many months?

Sorry if this is a little confusing,I think it reflects how I'm feeling about this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Freckles thx for the compliment. This is a good question on alternating as I"m sure alot of us differ /images/graemlins/cool.gif

For me, I usually use a certain conditioner for a while, say a month-ish and then I try something different for the following month. I don't use a different conditioner and shampoo for each wash as for me, I like to build at least 'some' continuity with a regime and set of products to let their benefits accumulate and 'build' then I'll switch to something else for a while instead.

Like now, I'm using Cream of Nature shampoo and Motions Moisture Plus (man I love this) and I'll probably use that for a while now, maybe adding some virgin olive oil mixed with the Motions occasionally for added moisture. Then after a few weeks I'll switch to another conditioner and maybe return to Lanza Protein Plus shampoo and use that for a while again. Sometimes giving a product a 'break' and then returning to it makes it feel even better. Of course this could all be psychological /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't want to 'get used' to one set regime month in month out. Having said that, I hear there are those who use one set of products for AGES and nothing else. So it depends on what you like for your hair and what you see benefitting it most over time. I've not had a loyalty to a particular brand except those listed.

Certain things I always do though is:

Pre oil treatments before shampooing, using a clarifying shampoo once a month and a protein conditioner once a month.

I change products when the current one isn't doing the job anymore or I get sucked into the vortex of PJism. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I give my hair what it needs with every wash. Sometimes that will mean I can use the same things over and over for months and sometimes it means I have to change products every single time I wash my hair.

I say pay attention to your hair and see what it needs. Everyone will respond differently to this question so you need to figure out what works for you. Find products that work on you, then if your hair feels dry add a moisturizing conditioner. If it still feels dry add a moisturizing shampoo. If your hair looks a little limp and/or dull it may need a clarifier -find on that works and use it until your hair returns to normal.
Hair feeling a little brittle? Give it some oil in the form of a preshampoo or a little oil at the ends before styling. Around touch up time you may need diff. products as well if you are trying to stretch the time between them. I also use more protein after chemical services than I normally do. Once a week after chemical services, once every TWO weeks in between.

If you never experience any of the things noted above (or other issues that are product driven that I neglected to put down) then you should stick with what works for you indefinitely. No sense in switching if it works! Good for your pockets too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brownrelaxedhair, I feel the vortex slowly enveloping me right now! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I made the mistake of clicking on the Tropical Dominican Conditioners thread on nc.com this morning and saw that someone posted the website of the conditioner's distributor...WHY?:

Click at your own risk! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am now waiting on a rep to call me so I can get more info.

clicksmilies32161.png

SVT!!!

Fight it fight it woman! don't give in. Look away from the light! look away!!!

why the heck did you have to go post that thread there??? /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
In response to
Poster: brownrelaxedhair
Subject: Re: How often should you alternate products?

why the heck did you have to go post that thread there???

[/ QUOTE ]

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hi Freckles &amp; Welcome to the board /images/graemlins/smile.gif.
My regime is only 4 mths old, therefore, I haven't acquired enough "time" to really stick to one regime; but I will say this, I'm currently experimenting with other products to see if I should add them to my regime, at least as an alternate. For instance, I began my regime with Motions shampoos, but now I'm using Creme of Nature. Once I have all of my "alternate" products in line, then I will probably alternate every 3-4 mths, just to give my hair a "break" from consistent usage of the same products. I hope this makes sense
/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

Gld Bless,
Peachtree

Freckles

I have about 6 different shampoos and about 4 different conditioners, hair oils, scalp combos.

The reason why is becasue they all work for my hair depending on what my hair needs that day. A bit like we wear what's suitable for the weather and what we are doing. It's the same for out hair.

I don't think I use the same shampoo every wash, or the same product to moisturise my hair.

It's about giving your hair what it needs or what you think it will respond to best on that given day. I like having the freedom of choice and sometimes out of boredom, it's nice to have a change.

I was wondering how often you should alternate products, I'd previously heard every 6 months. Is it necessary to change products?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freckles,

That's a really good question. I never really thought about it until Aubrey Hampton, of Aubrey Organics mentioned that you should use a different shampoo every week. He never mentioned anything about conditioners though.

I recently had a consultation with Mr. John and he stated that you should switch shampoos and conditioners every week and each time the purpose is to rebuild the hair.

I guess I have been very bad with this but believe I will have another routine of different "all natural" shampoos to alternate between. I don't know about the each week though. I was thinking "how can you know what is working if you are alternating products after a week?" I think a good month sounds good for me with a clarifying shampoo done on the fourth week.

SVT,

Now don't you have Pebbles PJing over there. Isn't she on hair care product restriction until February? Well, don't get her started. I have the Tropical Avocado. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Did the sales representative call you back yet?

Hey Allandra, You know what I'm saying?? SVT has me salivating over here! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In response to
Poster: Allandra
Subject: Re: How often should you alternate products?

SVT,

Now don't you have Pebbles PJing over there. Isn't she on hair care product restriction until February? Well, don't get her started. I have the Tropical Avocado. Did the sales representative call you back yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rep called me back and said one case (12 jars) of the large size avocado cream would cost around $25 to ship to my state COD. So 25/12 = $2.08 per large jar! Not bad, huh Pebbles? /images/graemlins/wink.gif BTW, I'm on the west side of town so my cost is higher.

I'm soooo close to ordering the stuff. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Freckles:

Sorry, girl. I got all excited about the avocado cream and messed up your thread. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll start a new topic about this.

And welcome to the board!!!

The rep called me back and said one case (12 jars) of the large size avocado cream would cost around $25 to ship to my state COD. So 25/12 = $2.08 per large jar! Not bad, huh Pebbles?

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's an excellent price!!! That's regular price, right? If not, I have to buy it now. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Freckles this is new to me. I am currently still working on a regime..I think that to some extent we all are because we add things and remove things as we go along.

I know that for me there was a time when I used deep conditioners but were really unsure of whether they were protein/moisturizing. I didn't really think of the difference between them and how you must work with each one differently. Now that I know I have re-adjusted my regime.

Someone said that when they are nearing the time to get a touch up, they alternate products. Around this time, I find that I use MORE products. I really really moisturize during that time because my hair tends to be drier and I think more prone to break off. <font color="purple"> </font color>

Back