How Often Can I Wash my Braids???

KiSseS03

Oy.... the last time I had braids I could go a week between washing them. This time for some reason my scalp is very very dry (maybe because it's a very cold winter here?). Anyway, when my hair was out I washed it 2-3 times a week faithfully with no scalp problems... Is twice a week too much with my braids, I'm just thinking about build-up here, I don't care if they look messy faster.

I use to wash mine at least once a week...but i dont see what harm it would do to wash them 2 times a week...like maybe a monday and then a saturday...

I would do conditioner washes on my braids everyday. This would eliminate the need for braidspray. My hair would always be so soft and supple once I took the braids out!

dontspeakdefeat said:
I would do conditioner washes on my braids everyday. This would eliminate the need for braidspray. My hair would always be so soft and supple once I took the braids out!

Really DSD?? I would love to do that... and it didn't cause excessive build-up? I assume it was a very light conditioner, which one?

Wow, DSD, I never thought of doing that. DSD, When you were co-washing, was it wintertime? Also were your braids long? Thanks!

I wash my braids once a week with diluted shampoo and diluted conditioner. You can use a stocking cap and wash your braids that way to prevent fuzziness and keep them looking fresh longer. You should check out Den1's album and her braid regime, it's really informative.

I condition wash weekly by using braid spray to rinse vs plain water. I got some fizz, but I more concerned with the health of my scalp and growth than prolonging the style.

Attachments

• CurliDiva Braids2.jpg
    CurliDiva Braids2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 13
The last time I had individual braids was about 4 years ago. I washed them weekly. I would put full strength shampoo on my scalp to loosen up the braid spray and oils I used nightly. I would rinse that out really well, and spray on a leave-in conditioner or diluted conditioner in a spray bottle (if it was diluted cond, I would rinse that out). My hair was very healthy when I took the braids out. I agree with CurliDiva about being more concerned with scalp and hair health (and growth) than making the braids last (they still lasted a good month and a half).

Thanks for the response ladies.... and like I said, I'm not worried about how long these braids last, but my poor scalp and that dreaded build-up. I'm gonna wash how I would normally do today, and hopefully that will take away the itch, and I'll be able to wait another week...

Last edited:
If you don't mind the smell, I recommend using sulfur 8 on your scalp once a week. I only wash my hair once every 2 weeks. I don't have any build up and my scalp doesn't itch. I had to redo the front of my twist, because I had so much new growth and my hair was moisturized from root to tip.

Back