How my ends stopped shedding

Sweetyb

I had a problem with my ends shedding like confetti on New Year's Eve
grin.gif
just a few months ago and I've found that I actually no longer have this problem anymore, and I didn’t even clip them
cool.gif

My regimen before the shedding:
I can't recall having any moisturizing product in my stash, come to think of it. I did have some ORS Shea Butter, but hated it. I had oils and gels that I would put in my hair after washes. Also, I did once-a-week washing with shampoo and conditioner and later increased this to 2-3 times a week washing also with shampoo and conditioner. I mostly combed my hair when it was dry and moisturized with a dab of water. I styled my hair in mostly ponytails that I would hold with scrunci’s or those elastic rubberbands. During this time last year I tried trimming my ends, but the dryness came back in a month.

My regimen after the shedding:
I re-tried the no-poo for a 3rd time and successfully learned how to wash my hair with just conditioner (Suave Coconut/and then tried VO5 Strawberries N Cream). I did this, and still do, at least twice a week. I loved this so much I went almost 2 months with no shampoo! I've done 2 Henna treatments. I started doing a deep condition weekly with ORS, Queen Helen, or LeKairs. I returned to Carol’s Daughter to re-try the HHB and give the Mimosa and Hair Milk a shot; I was looking for moisturizing products to put in my hair after washing and before styling to replace my oils and drying gels. Oh, and first of all, I learned what a moisturizing product was and how to find them (i.e. ingredients). I almost immediately started rubbing the Protectiv Healthy Ends (which is really thick) on the tips of my bedtime braids b/4 going to bed; in the morning it was all gone. I styled my hair in flat twist-outs so I could leave my hair alone, and starting January would do twist styles that would stay in for atleast 3 weeks at a time for 2 months. If I needed to, I would use diluted setting lotion instead of gel after styling. This month, I’ve realized that my last 2” of dryness has been feeling as good as the rest of my hair, and I didn’t even have to chop it off.

Today, I’m experimenting with other moisturizing products, and I plan on getting more CD Hair Milk. I have also been purchasing different conditioners for my washes, and I make sure to have a tub of LeKair's in the shower. Since my Operation Save-My-Ends twist sessions, I have been wearing afro puffs and ponypuffs--with pantyhose bands instead of elastic bands though--and make sure my ends are always moisturized. Sta Sof Fro coats my hair with moisture before combing it, so that I'm barely pulling out any hair. I also stopped hearing that *snap*ing noise! I hope everyone else with problem ends finds a regimen that will work to fix it for good
wink.gif

--can you count how many times I said "Moisturize"?
cool.gif

wow, this sounds like a good regimen!
smile.gif

Where do you get your pnoypuffs?
How do you like VO5 Strawberries and Cream? I've been meaning to try that one for a while.
Is sta sof fro your main leave-in?

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
wow, this sounds like a good regimen!
smile.gif

Where do you get your pnoypuffs?
How do you like VO5 Strawberries and Cream? I've been meaning to try that one for a while.
Is sta sof fro your main leave-in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wear my own hair out in ponypuffs and afropuffs as a daily style. It's only been a month though but I just wanted to take a break between twisting again. If I didn't have my current regemin though, wearing my hair in these styles would make my ends really brittle because they're exposed.

The VO5 Strawberries and Cream was soooo good to my hair when I had it. I mean, I'd get in the shower with combed-out big hair (sectioned & secured) but after washing each section with globs of that VO5 made my hair feel clean but not stripped, and would flatten and define my curls. It was so easy to slide my comb through my hair; I definitely have plans to get this again. Since I ran out I've gotten Pantene Hydrating Curls which smells so good and does a really great job as well. I also got this new VO5 Free Me Freesia (which is next after S 'n C, not as moisturizing though), and Suave's Cocoanut & Honey (which I can't to get to:)).

As for the Sta-Sof-Fro, I'm experimenting with how I could use it for my hair. I've never tried using it in my wet hair as a leave-in, but I just may in the future. I mainly use it when my hair is dry and I need to manipulate it, and/or set it in a style. It adds shine, helpe me comb through the hair, and seems to define the curls at the ends of my hair. Right now, I'm trying out Nexxus Headress and Sebastian Laminates Crema Styler as my leave-ins. They're both expensive as heck, so I'm taking my time
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
Girl, moisture is definitely the key
smile.gif
Congrats on finding a regimen that really works for you
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you Miss_brown
wink.gif

Back