How Many Don't Comb Their Hair?

options

I rarely comb my hair. I mean, I probably literally did not comb through my hair with a comb at all last year. I usually finger comb it when I wash it and again after I deep condition it. I usually follow that up with some twists, which I will wear in a twist-out for a week or week and a half. Then I repeat the process.

I seem to have retained a lot more hair (thickness) and length by not combing it often. I was forced to comb it last night in order to use my new Maxiglide (thumbs up!), and I had a bit of shedding, but probably no more than the average person has on a typical day.

Am I the only seldom to never comber? What do you feel it has done for your hair?

I've tried a lot of systems and suggestions on this board but if I did not comb this stuff....:eek: .

My word, it'd be worse than awful. Just get out the bottle of nair....:nono:

Well, I am a seldom comber. I think I comb my hair when I have my conditioner in using my Jilbere shower comb. And while I am rollersetting and not even a lot. After that. I am finger styling until I shampoo and condition again. I see less breakage because of this too. When my roots were so thick, I definitely made sure to keep a comb away.

I don't. I went nearly a month without combing it and saw minimal breakage. I washed, detangled then bunned it up. Even now that I am wearing it straight again (as of yesterday) I unwrap then finger the strands. No combing for me...

LaNecia said:
I've tried a lot of systems and suggestions on this board but if I did not comb this stuff....:eek: .

My word, it'd be worse than awful. Just get out the bottle of nair....:nono:
My thoughts exacty. Now i dont comb my hair EVERYDAY but come wash time I have to comb my hair in order to achieve a smooth rollerset. However, on most days, I just shake and go! No combs needed!

I HAVE TO comb my hair... EVERY DAY... I have very fine strands and I wear my hair curly a lot, so they get tangled up REALLY easily... I've tried not combing for a day or two, then washing, and I had a horrible time with knotted clumps at my hair ends that I sometimes end up cutting out... Not good. :nono: I've learned my lesson. I always try to comb through my hair at least partway before I wash it.... :look: ESPECIALLY if I've been wearing a twistout... talk about tangles!! :( :(

I brush but seldomly comb... actually I seldomly use the brush too... I mainly finger comb/detangle with straight and nappy styles...and with nappy I wouldnt even torture myself putting a comb near my head

I usually only comb my hair in the shower when detangleing with conditioner. Other than that I finger comb if I need to. My hair is natural so combing my hair dry is just asking for trouble. It works for me because I'm retaining almost ALL of my length now!

I never comb my hair, unless I am flat ironing or rollersetting, both of which are very rare. But I've always been like that even pre hair boards.

Oh ok! Duh! :grin:

Let's see, I shower comb w/conditioner and my Jilbere shower comb. Aside from that, NO! I can't comb it when it's dry!

If I use my WGO oil, I can mist w/water, that'll help a bit with combing but only in really small sections at a time (it's really not worth the effort except to maybe take down a flat twist and redo one at a time) but pretty much, I'm learning the art of put it in a style and leave it there until CO wash time again!

I comb about once a week, when I wash it. Other than that I just smooth the front with a brush in the morning.

I don't comb often either. Once in a while when deep conditioning. So I'd say I comb maybe once every 5months, if that often. I am a finger comber-tip to root.:)

i comb once a week when I wash and condition. I only comb when my hair is soaked in conditioner. I would try the no combing method, but I'm afraid of my hair getting matted together!

I comb my hair in the shower only. Come to think of it, my K-Cutter is missing me...

I think I am finally learning to the art of not combing. I just could not get it. I loose too much hair when I comb which I suspect is why I saw precious little growth last year. These days I am wearing my hair mmainly in a bunish style which I take down and moisturize the ends, roll it back up aand smooth the front with my hands. No comb. Only on wash days which for me is now once a week. I am so proud of myself.
I am gonna grow me some hair!!!

Last edited:
I used to detangle in the shower with a K-Cutter comb, but based on my severe breakage, I've recently stopped combing and just use my fingers.

I only comb my hair on wash day - 2x per week-while detangling in the shower and rollersetting. In between I finger comb or smooth with my hands.
The rewards are thicker hair and length as I keep most of my hair on my head.

options, How could you not comb your hair for all of last year?

And for others that do not comb your hair...how can you detangle your hair if you never comb it? I could understand not combing your hair if you had dreadlocks or something. Also, how do you keep your hair looking nice??? or do you guys not care what your hair looks like or have that "hair not done" mentality??? :confused: I know when I do styles that do not require me to comb my hair (braid-outs, buns, etc.), my hair doesn't look as good.

Poohbear, I feel ya... right now I'm like :huh:??!! I can't even fathom the idea of not running a comb through my hair... I hate knots and tangles...:look:

I'm glad you started this topic as I've been wondering what's the point of combing with a COMB (as opposed to using fingers to detangle). Does it stop knots from forming?

I comb on after washing (once a week) and there sure is hair on that comb, more so than if I just detangled..hmm..

Poohbear said:

And for others that do not comb your hair...how can you detangle your hair if you never comb it? I could understand not combing your hair if you had dreadlocks or something. Also, how do you keep your hair looking nice??? or do you guys not care what your hair looks like or have that "hair not done" mentality??? :confused: I know when I do styles that do not require me to comb my hair (braid-outs, buns, etc.), my hair doesn't look as good.

Here is how:
Remember I am natural.

I shampoo my hair with a shampoo bar. It is super rich and moisturizing. I detangle in the shower with my fingers.

I then rinse my hair.

I then section my hair with a wide toothed comb.
Each section I slather on shealoe butter.
I take my wide toothed comb and detangle, then twist it.
I pull out all the shed hairs.

I do not comb my hair again until I shampoo it again.

I can refreshin my hair each day my simply jumping in the shower and allowing the steam to soften my hair, adding more shealoe or curl activator to smooth the edges and putting more bounce in my coils. But I dont use heat or anything else on my hair. I tie it up at night so it stays pretty neat. My husband is on "lint patrol" in the mornings to make sure that there is no lint in my puff. So my hair always looks neat and shiny and great.

That's how I can go without combing my hair for weeks at a time.

I wear the twist or twist out for a week or two at a time.

I comb daily...twice actually (minimum)

*runs like the wind*

*comes back to plead my case*

BUT I DO USE A BIIIIG TOOTHED RATTAIL COMB.

*runs*

I used to have a stack of combs. But they all are now broken.

My hair is like "oh chick pleeze!" every time I attempt to comb it.

Poohbear said:

Okay...I must admit....I'm with Poohbear......if your not combing are you brushing? How do you keep your hair from getting dreds????

blkmaryland said:
Okay...I must admit....I'm with Poohbear......if your not combing are you brushing? How do you keep your hair from getting dreds????

It's not like I don't do anything to my hair and just let it mat up and lock. I typically finger comb my hair every day to "style" it. I finger comb when I wash and condition, too. When I two-strand twist my hair, I coat all of my strands in shea butter, in small individual sections, as part of the twisting process ... I think that also contributes to no major knots or locks forming.

Poohbear said:

Easily answered. I go to the hairdresser every 2 weeks and get a curly pin-up. After the first week I take it down and finger pick out the remaining curls. I spray a little sheen and I'm good to go for the next week. NO COMBING REQUIRED. ;) I'm getting compliments right now even though I haven't combed, or brushed my hair. And i keep the length too.

Back