How long do you use a product/supplement before deciding that it doesn't work?

How long should you keep using a product before you decide it's no good?

• Two weeks or less.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • One month.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Three months.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Six months or more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

livesoundtech

I have been taking 5000mcg of biotin daily since September 1st. I have not seen any increased growth OR thickness of my hair or nails. I am pretty sure my hair grows slower in the wintertime, but I'm not sure if I should bother to continue with the biotin. I also take multivitamins, but I'll admit I've slacked on those lately.

Soooo... how much time is enough? When do you decide that a product or supplement isn't worth your time?

ETA - Typo in the poll title, sorry! I really mean "supplement", not product... I'm referring to things like vitamins, growth aids, etc.

Last edited:
I give it a good three months. As far as your hair growing, I saw in some posts you stated that you only grew like 1.5 inches in like x amount of months (forgive my memory)
Is it possible that you are just going through that resting growing phase? Where your hair just stops growing? IDK...I'm sure I'm wrong..just wanted to throw that out there.

If I'm trying a growth aid, I actually give it at least one quarter. My guess is if hair grows 1/2 inch a month, by 3 months I can see if it's more or less what it should be.

Products are another story. I can tell, tell, tell if a conditioner works for me now. After I rinse out the conditioner my hair will fill waxy and it will be harder to detangle if it's a thumbs down. Silky smooth and the comb glides through if it's a thumbs up.

I'm on several different medications and my rheumatologist always tells me to take them for at LEAST 3 months before we declare that it doesn't work. If he is still hopeful after seeing no results after 3 months he will extend it another 3 but no more than 6 months. He says that's definately enough time. So I apply this to my supplements as well.

Last edited:
I used to expect instant results, lol. Now, I give it about 3 months of consistent use before making a decision on it.

it depends on how it works the first time. if it straight makes my hair feel like crap then i toss it with no second chances. if it makes my hair feel so so and i dont know how i feel about it then i may use it three time to make sure one way or the other.

Back