How do you seal your ends without rollersetting?

chellee

I think this is my main problem as far as maintaining healthy ends and hair growth. I air-dry my hair combed straight back and my ends are bushy. I have noticed women mentioning adding moisturizer to the ends but anything I add makes them break more (too heavy maybe?) I wear my hair pinned back, nothing too fussy. Please help.

I would like to know too. I have 4b relaxed and whenever I air dry without rollersetting my ends are like completely frizzy, fuzzy whatever, not at all smooth OR my new growth doesn't get nice and straight so I almost always rollerset, unless I intend to wear updos or protective styles where "smooth and straight" isn't critical to the style.

I tried the sylver2 satin scarf method and my 4b new growth just laughed . . .(this may work for me only during the first couple of weeks after touchup)

The ONLY way I can air dry my hair smooth and straight with ends nice and sealed is to rollerset . . .

I would love to find another method that's less time-consuming, but I love my hair to be smooth and swinging and rollersets do it for me all the way, without the heat. For me, its worth the once a week ritual . . .

Rollersetting makes my ends and hair smooth. Wrapping my hair wet may work but I've never tried it and would rather not. I really don't know of another way to create smooth ends (unless one uses heat).

OT: Neroli - how did the scarf method not work for you? Do you mean wearing the scarf while drying your hair or wearing the scarf after your hair was rollerset and dried?

Isis said:
Rollersetting makes my ends and hair smooth. Wrapping my hair wet may work but I've never tried it and would rather not. I really don't know of another way to create smooth ends (unless one uses heat).

OT: Neroli - how did the scarf method not work for you? Do you mean wearing the scarf while drying your hair or wearing the scarf after your hair was rollerset and dried?

Hey Isis: I tried the scarf method while drying my hair after washing -- used my usual leave-in and oils, combed back then used a scarf to tie down tight and use magnetic rollers on the ends hanging at the back of scarf then sat under "cool dryer" -- hair and ends dried nice and smooth (similar to a rollerset) but my new growth was like a 'lil fro" under there, nice and thick and bushy. However, when I rollerset, new growth is way more smooth and straight and not as "bushy" as with the scarf method. I was 6 weeks post relaxer when I tried and will wait until after my next touchup to try again -- may be a "lazy way" to dry for the first couple of weeks before new growth starts manifesting itself . . .

Neroli said:
Hey Isis: I tried the scarf method while drying my hair after washing -- used my usual leave-in and oils, combed back then used a scarf to tie down tight and use magnetic rollers on the ends hanging at the back of scarf then sat under "cool dryer" -- hair and ends dried nice and smooth (similar to a rollerset) but my new growth was like a 'lil fro" under there, nice and thick and bushy. However, when I rollerset, new growth is way more smooth and straight and not as "bushy" as with the scarf method. I was 6 weeks post relaxer when I tried and will wait until after my next touchup to try again -- may be a "lazy way" to dry for the first couple of weeks before new growth starts manifesting itself . . .

I'm sorry the scarf method didn't work for you.
My new growth would laugh at me to if I combed all my hair back. My hair is to thick to be combed back and dried like that. I always have at least a part either in the center or on the side, seperating hair.

Neroli said:

I must say that I dry my hair first in a rollerset, as you usually do Neroli, then I do a side part, tie the scarf as Sylver does and put the large bonnet over the back half of my head. When I wake up (if I do it before sleeping), my hair and new growth is flatter against my head - it was always much poufier (sp?) before with my nappy new growth. I do this every night, wearing the scarf in between at home and when driving (as Sylver does) so my hair looks great all of the time without having to comb it or style it.

I am experimenting with this wearing a braidout. It's looking very good so far.

I am suggesting trying Sylver's method again, Neroli, after your rollerset. :yep:

Last edited:
@Sylver2: I did part my hair in the middle and combed back on each side (that's my usual style, similar to your avatar) - I'm gonna try it again after touch up because the rest of my hair and ends were fine, just that bushy "fro under there was a trip . . .

@Isis: yep, I tie down after rollersetting and my new growth is like butta. I tie dwn every night and my hair is good to go for a week . . .

Neroli said:
@Sylver2: I did part my hair in the middle and combed back on each side (that's my usual style, similar to your avatar) - I'm gonna try it again after touch up because the rest of my hair and ends were fine, just that bushy "fro under there was a trip . . .

@Isis: yep, I tie down after rollersetting and my new growth is like butta. I tie dwn every night and my hair is good to go for a week . . .

What leave ins and conditioners are you using??

Isis said:
I must say that I dry my hair first in a rollerset, as you usually do Neroli, then I do a side part, tie the scarf as Sylver does and put the large bonnet over the back half of my head. When I wake up (if I do it before sleeping), my hair and new growth is flatter against my head - it was always much poufier (sp?) before with my nappy new growth. I do this every night, wearing the scarf in between at home and when driving (as Sylver does) so my hair looks great all of the time without having to comb it or style it.

I am experimenting with this wearing a braidout. It's looking very good so far.

My Hair Twin, thats why it works so well for you:-)))

sylver2 said:
What leave ins and conditioners are you using??

I used salerm 21 followed with serum + castor. This is my usual stuff, either salerm or nexxus headdres plus a few drops serum and oil.

sylver2 said:
My Hair Twin, thats why it works so well for you:-)))
I really do hope we are hair twins. I would love my hair to grow as long and beautiful as yours one day! I'm sure most of the ladies here who are growing out their hair would say the same. :yep:

Back