How do you prevent Breakage?

cocoberry10

Hello Ladies. I am new to this forum. I have really enjoyed all the advice and recipes so far! I have a relaxer, and retouch between every 9-14 weeks (I try to wait as long as possible). I have been using Cathy Howse's program since July. I have a question about preventing breakage.

When I allow my hair to airdry, it can get pretty tangled up, and there are sometimes little balls of hair (very small) at the bottom of my hair that come out when I pull them. However, when I use a blowdryer (which I hate), I have less breakage, but I do have the small "sailor knots" that come down at the bottom of my hair. I know I am damaging my hair using a blowdryer, so I want to stop using heat. Can someone please give me advice about how to prevent breakage? Thanks.

CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION!

MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE!

...Need I say more? Hee-hee!

A lot of people are against blow drying and the use of heat, for various reasons. I am one, who relies on heat to prevent my hair from becoming too unruly and therefore, I experience less breakage. When I airdry my hair knots up, tangles so badly that I am lucky if I can get a comb through AT ALL.

Respecting the fact that you don't want to blow dry, have you tried rollersetting? You don't necessarily have to sit under a dryer, but rolling the hair will leave you with straight ends. Thus, eliminating the knots at the ends.

I really don't know what my hair type is. I have multiple hair types, ranging from what I believe is 3a or b - 4 a/b.

I have given up on "typing" my hair, but focus more on working on the overall health of my entire head of hair. Hope that makes sense.

If airdrying causes massive tangles or knots in your hair, dont do it. I agree with webby, have you tried wetsetting, rollersetting, or wrapping your hair and sitting under a dryer?

My hair type is mostly 4a I guess. My hair grows in spirally.

I have been on a no heat challenge and have been airdrying. The key to airdrying is to make sure you detangle it well enough while it is wet. Do not comb it alot while it's drying. It also depends on what hair style you would like. I usually let my hair airdry, moisturize it, and put it in a bun. I think you can get breakage from both using heat to dry and letting your hair airdry. I never really had any major problems with breakage (I mostly get shedding). I usually get the about same amount doing both methods of drying. It all depends on the technique you use when using both methods of drying. But I can tell you one thing... I used to blowdry my hair after every wash. Now that I stopped, my hair has loved me for it; it's getting much thicker and I'm retaining more length. :)

Whatever you do, do what works for you. Do whichever drying method gives you the less breakage. ;)

Last edited:
cocoberry10 said:
Hello Ladies. I am new to this forum. I have really enjoyed all the advice and recipes so far! I have a relaxer, and retouch between every 9-14 weeks (I try to wait as long as possible). I have been using Cathy Howse's program since July. I have a question about preventing breakage.

When I allow my hair to airdry, it can get pretty tangled up, and there are sometimes little balls of hair (very small) at the bottom of my hair that come out when I pull them. However, when I use a blowdryer (which I hate), I have less breakage, but I do have the small "sailor knots" that come down at the bottom of my hair. I know I am damaging my hair using a blowdryer, so I want to stop using heat. Can someone please give me advice about how to prevent breakage? Thanks.

Hi cocoBerry!

You can air dry your hair in a bun.....do a twist and braid outs.

When I airdry, which is most of the time, I apply my leave ins and make 1-4 ponytails using scrunchies (usually two). Then I put a roller on the ends and tie my hair down with a satin scarf for at least 30 minutes. I usually take the scarf off for a while to let it air dry, putting it back on for bed. The scarf smooths my edges and the rollers smooths my ends. Keep in mind that my hair isn't that long yet, so I don't know how long this would take to dry on longer hair.

You could also braid or twist the ends, just as long as the ends are not just hanging loose and free to crinkle up and tangle.

Invest in a good protein treatment to nip breakage and shedding in the bud. Penetraitt, Emergencee, and DRc are heavy duty protein treatments. In between the protein you can deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Also moisturize your hair as you see fit :)

Britt said:
Invest in a good protein treatment to nip breakage and shedding in the bud. Penetraitt, Emergencee, and DRc are heavy duty protein treatments. In between the protein you can deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Also moisturize your hair as you see fit :)
I completely agree... Protein treatments do the trick for me :grin:

Thanks for the advice ladies. My hair is about 13" and 15-16" in the back. I had a lot of breakage at first, but it is getting better. I will take all of your advice.

I went nine months with zero (yes, ZERO) breakage. Here is what I did:

1. Started off with a good trim (half of an inch)
2. After washing hair (3x a week for the first 6 weeks after a relaxer. 1x with shampoo , next two were conditioner washes. 1-2x a week weeks 6-12) I did pre-poo hot oils and mild protein 1x a week. I'd squeeze dry with a towel and apply leave-in conditioner (pantene or S-curl sprays). Coconut oil to the length and "grease" on the ends.
3. Constant protective styling. I'd braid or bun up hair while still damp. I wore braid outs occasionally
4. Only seamless combs
5. diligent use of satin bonnets and pillowcases
6. Every 6 weeks clarify followed by a major protein (like aphogee) then a major moisturizing conditioner.

Back