How do you make a good deep conditioner?

Pennefeather

I have read a lot of post of members who are making their own conditioners. This is something that I would never have thought to do even 6 months ago. I find this very intriguing, and am considering trying it out.

I found a post on another website that list five things that should be considered in order to have a good condition:

1. The base - the author recommends plain yogurt, banana baby food or creamed avocado. Any of these will provide a thick base
  2. Ingredients for slip - this would be your preferred oils
  3. Ingredients for moisture - the humectants like glycerin, honey or aloe vera
  4. Ingredients for protein - her recommendation is gelatin
  5. Fragrance and increase fluidity for a thick mixture - she recommends coconut cream/milk
This seems like a reasonable place to start. There are literally hundreds of combinations that you can come up with when you consider using different herbs to add slip, and all the various oils and butters that are available. I'm sure that there are plenty of other bases as well that can be used.

For my base, I would use some of the various butters (avocado and mango) that I currently have. I like a combination of oils (olive/coconut/pumpkin) since each one has different strengths. I have been itching to try honey, so here is the perfect chance. I'm skipping protein and fragrance, and using some fenugreek/rosemary oil plus a dash of my marshmallow root/slippery elm for fluidity.

How does that sound?:yep:

I would love to find out how other people are making their conditioners, so that we can inspire each other to create something that is custom and perfect for ourselves.

I use this post from thedishforum to guide me.

I warn you in advance...this is a long post. I thought I'd post some thoughts on making conditioner...it's not meant as the end all and be all of making conditioner, but just what I've learned so far.

Basics for a very thick conditioner...
7% BTMS-50
.5 to 1% preservative of choice (I use .5% germall plus)
water to get to 100%
Water and BTMS into a double boiler. Heat and hold until the BTMS has melted completely (at least 20 minutes). Let cool. Add preservative. Rejoice!

It's basic, and it will work. But where's the good stuff? Always ask yourself -- what exactly am I looking for in a conditioner? Moisturization, detangling, de-frizzing? Everyone has different needs, so figure out what you want, then work backwards with your ingredients.

As a note on the BTMS -- you can go lower if you want. This recipe will be very thick. But I have chosen 7% to ensure it will emulsify the oils and silicones -- start at 3.5% if you want something thinner.

Liquids - you can substitute some of the water for various liquids like aloe, hydrosols, etc. I'm only starting to experiment with hydrosols like neroli, lavender, and rose right now, so I don't know much.

Hydrolyzed proteins (oat, silk, wheat, soy, etc.) -- 1 to 2%. These are film forming and offer some moisturization without oils.

Silicones, cyclomethicone or dimethicone -- up to 2% each - dimethicone offers a bit of "conditioning" and helps with frizzies, cyclomethicone is good for frizzies.

Oils - up to 6% - choose a hair loving oil like jojoba, coconut, or camellia. Sea Buckthorn is apparently very good, but expensive. Avocado can be good for dandruff prone hair. Coconut is supposed to be great for hair in general. If you have oily hair, you might want to avoid the oils...instead choose...

Cetyl alcohol -- up to 3% -- this offers "oil free" moisturization.

Panthenol -- up to 2% - the vitamin B5 is good for hair...

Humectants - various amounts - glycerine, honeyquat -- offers moisturization to your hair. And the glycerin does add some thickness to the mixture. Olive oil is a great humectant, so you could add it as an oil at a low percentage for a two-fer! Honeyquat is also a good conditioning agent, so you could add this to do double duty.

Cetrimonium chloride (cetac) - up to 2.5% - great for detangling!

Other quats - honeyquat, celquat, condition-eze 7 (polyqyuat 7), etc. -- these are conditioning polymers, which means they aren't great on their own but add some oomph to your conditioning. Some are also humectants. Each has their own suggested usage, so check the bottle. (I use condition-eze 7 at 2 to 3%). Celquat will thicken your mixture substantially as it tends to gel things, so check your consistency.

A note about Incroquat CR - it is not an emulsifier like the BTMS and makes a "cream rinse". It is a great way of stretching out the more expensive BTMS. Use at up to 5% for conditioning and anti-static properties. If you are going to use this, use less BTMS -- start at 4% BTMS and 5% CR (keeping in mind your emulsification needs...)

Extracts - rosemary, Multifruit BSC, etc. -- again, these have their own usage rates and purposes. For instance, rosemary is suggested at .5% to help with oily hair and claims to stimulate hair growth (not making claims, just reading the package).

Essential oils and fragrance oils -- up to 1% for FOs, check the EOs you want to use to see what the guidelines might be. There are many EOs suggested for hair.

Check your chosen ingredients to see when you would add them to the conditioner. The BTMS, oils, cetyl alcohol, incroquat CR, and some humectants will be added in the heating stage. Others like the hydrolyzed proteins, some quats, some extracts, some hydrosols, silicones, your preservative, and EOs or FOs will be added in the cool down stage.

So what are you looking for in a conditioner? I'll use my hair as an example -- I have waist length, frizzy, coarse hair that gets oily in two days. My goals with a conditioner are to condition, detangle, moisturize without oils, de-frizz, and keep it from getting oily in two days! So my choices in making a conditioner would be...
7% BTMS
.5% preservative
2% cromoist -- my hair hates silk, so I have chosen oat protein
2% panthenol - is supposed to keep my hair healthy
2% cetac - detangling is a must for me!
2% cyclo - defrizzing action
2% dimethicone - again with the defrizzing action
2% cetyl alcohol - moisturization without oils
1% EOs -- oily hair blend - equal parts rosemary, clary sage, cedarwood, and lemon
water up to 100%

My friend has very dry, curly, dyed hair. Her goals are moisturization and conditioning. So for her conditioner I'd use...
7% BTMS
.5% preservative
2% silk - she loves this stuff
2% panthenol
6% oils - sea buckthorn, camellia, and jojoba -- all hair loving oils
2% cetyl alcohol - can't get enough moisture for her
2% honeyquat or glycerin - again, humectants are good for dry hair
2% dimethicone - extra conditioning, soft feeling
1% FO - she likes black raspberry vanilla
water to 100%

And my best friend has normal hair. Our goal is to condition, keep it healthy, and give her a nice scent.
7% BTMS
.5% preservative
2% cromoist
2% panthenol
2% dimethicone - for the soft feeling, not de-frizzing
1% FO - she changes her choice every time we make it!
water to 100%

I hope this information helps!

BranwenRosewood All I can say is WOW! That is really impressive.

I'm just looking for a simple way to combine ingredients and create a conditioner without adding in various chemicals. I appreciate your information, but it isn't something that I can recreate in my kitchen. :ohwell:

Pennefeather
Here are two DCs I have mixed up in the past.

image-3994326486.jpg

image-555770207.jpg

I really enjoyed the clay as my base. The cassia powder is a nice base too. I was just saying I plan to use my whipped mango avocado butter to make my next serious DC mixture. I even put some hibiscus powder in there too. I think butters would be awesome as a base. Its a really nice moisturizing butter for my skin and a good sealant for my hair. I also ordered some glass jars to store a whipped shealoe cocoa butter.

Ive been wanting some nettle oil and rosehip seed oil; so Im gonna make some. I have all these herbs and have only been using them for tea!

Good luck and Happy DIYing!

I LOVE this HHJ!!

mshoneyfly

Do you find that the Tressume helps in washing the pink clay out? I've tried Australian Red clay, but I found it hard to wash out.

This is a great thread. I always wanted to make my own DC. I think I'll start with mixing things with clays. IDK, I've always been a little nervous about using clays b/c I heard that they can be drying. Utuber Heyfranhey, has some good tutorials on putting together natural DC.

Last edited:
mshoneyfly Do you find that the Tressume helps in washing the pink clay out? I've tried Australian Red clay, but I found it hard to wash out.

snoop
I think its easier for me to rinse bc Im texturized; my hair is pretty much straight from henna too. I dont have much of a problem with rinsing. I always make the mix nice and creamy. Pink clay is very moisturizing anyway.

I rinse with just water first. Then I add a lot of cowash conditioner (tresemme or VO5) so that my hair is loaded. Then I add a little water to diff areas of my head and lather up from the roots. Rinse and repeat at least once and its all rinsed out leaving behind highly moisturized hair.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

This was a good post on making a conditioner better or deeper: www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=709309 (see below) #3 is my favorite, all my conditioners require backbone.

1. No slip?
Slip is the number one priority for us girls especially for those with natural hair because we want to feel the conditioner literally melt the tangles away so we can comb less and preserve more length.

If your conditioner is a slip free zone add oil to it to get it going and watch your hair detangle on command. You can use any oil but we would suggest something simple, like olive oil or grape seed oil that is usually purchased in larger quantities.

Add 2-3 tablespoons per portion of conditioner but you can adjust this depending on the length and thickness of your hair.

2. Too thin?

Not only can slip be a problem but some of us like our conditioner to have a little weight to it. Thin conditioners are so 1988 so if you want to add a little fluff to your thin stuff, (corny right? smh) just melt some Shea butter and mix well into the conditioner.

The Shea butter will thicken the conditioner as the mixture cools giving you a little more substance to work with. If your conditioner lacks umph and slip, then shea butter might do the trick by itself or you can add a little oil as discussed earlier.

3. No backbone?

If your conditioner is all moisture but no backbone it will need a little strength in the form of protein. Just buy some pure hydrolyzed protein or collagen and add 1 teaspoon into your conditioner for the ultimate protein treatment.

There are products that are solely dedicated to ingredients, including just plain protein if that is what you need.

Do not be afraid to become the ultimate mixologist when it comes to hair care, sometimes we can save a perfectly good conditioner that might be missing just one thing.

4. Not moisturizing?

We have talked about glycerin on BHI before and some of us absolutely love it, and others don’t know enough about it to decide if we like it or not.

If products that contain glycerin usually work for you in conditioners and leave in conditioners then by all means get hold of some glycerin and add it to the rogue conditioner.

Glycerin works by pulling moisture to it because it has an attraction to water. This means that it will literally pull the water you use along with the product into your hair thereby making the product more moisturizing. A tablespoon or two per portion of conditioner should be plenty.

5. Not worth saving?

Make a hair rinse!

Let’s face it, sometimes we can’t save a product that is just all the way bad. Still if you meddle in a little Ayurveda you will know that the powders can be very difficult to rinse out. So if you have a conditioner that you just cannot save, hey you can chuck it or you can add plenty of water to it and call it a hair rinse!

The conditioner will add a little bit of slip allowing for your henna, cassia or whichever powders you have used to rinse out with ease.

We try not to waste anything when it comes to hair care but its clear that not every product will work the same way for everyone so it stands to reason that in our quest to find our staple products you may discover a few duds along the way. Hopefully these tips will help you get your money’s worth even out the truly awful conditioners.

How do you deal with garbage conditioners?
- URL to article: http://www.blackhairinformation.com/growth/deep-conditioning/5-ways-deal-rubbish-conditioner/

Last edited:
@Pennefeather
Here are two DCs I have mixed up in the past.

View attachment 243207

View attachment 243209

I really enjoyed the clay as my base. The cassia powder is a nice base too. I was just saying I plan to use my whipped mango avocado butter to make my next serious DC mixture. I even put some hibiscus powder in there too. I think butters would be awesome as a base. Its a really nice moisturizing butter for my skin and a good sealant for my hair. I also ordered some glass jars to store a whipped shealoe cocoa butter.

Ive been wanting some nettle oil and rosehip seed oil; so Im gonna make some. I have all these herbs and have only been using them for tea!

Good luck and Happy DIYing!

I LOVE this HHJ!!

@mshoneyfly, That sound interesting. I've never used clay before, but that is another area that I've just begun to some research in.

Be careful with the glass jars. My very first time that I made whipped shea butter I put it in glass jars. Less than a week later it fell from my bathroom sink onto the hard tile floor and broke into a million pieces. :nono:

Last edited:
This was a good post on making a conditioner better or deeper: www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=709309 (see below) #3 is my favorite, all my conditioners require backbone.

virtuenow, this is really good information for those unexpected problems that tend to pop up.

Where can you get protein? This may sound silly, but can you use the protein supplement powers that they sell at GNC? Also, is it possible to buy hydrolyzed protein? I see that in a lot of conditioners.

virtuenow
Thanks for these tips. I love #3 as well about adding cocoa butter. I cant wait ti do this. Im whipping up some shea and cocoa butter on Sunday. I can think of a few things in my stash that are too thin.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

@virtuenow, this is really good information for those unexpected problems that tend to pop up.

Where can you get protein? This may sound silly, but can you use the protein supplement powers that they sell at GNC? Also, is it possible to buy hydrolyzed protein? I see that in a lot of conditioners.

I have no idea, I've never made a conditioner. I imagine in the future (for fun/experimentation) I may try. So far I'm satisfied w/the calibur of my deep conditioners!

Great info I will eventually get round to making my own DC's especially as my hair gets longer, I seem to get less and less usage out of a bottle/tub on average 4 DC's. I want to research on herbs and powders I can add to them, I'm looking at buying organic/natural conditioner bases and adding humectants, proteins, oils, herbs and powders to the bases.

Great info I will eventually get round to making my own DC's especially as my hair gets longer, I seem to get less and less usage out of a bottle/tub on average 4 DC's. I want to research on herbs and powders I can add to them, I'm looking at buying organic/natural conditioner bases and adding humectants, proteins, oils, herbs and powders to the bases.

Do you have an idea of where to buy the organic/natural conditioner bases? I am so tired of buying conditioners that cost an arm and a leg only to be used in 2 uses. I am not heavy handed but I do believe that the conditioner should be on every strand of hair.

I use this post from thedishforum to guide me.
I use this method the make conditioner. I use BTMS, Cetyl Alcohol, pro vitamin B 5, whatever oils I like, aloe vera juice, and water. Once you have your "equipment" and supplies, making this in your kitchen is easy and fun. I no longer buy conditioner. I only have one last ingredient to get (liquid protien), and I'm good. I use 1 oz of BTMS, preservative, B-5, and 2-3 oz of Cetyl alcohol with water and oils I get from my grocer and make 24oz of conditioner. Costs about $3 to make and works better than any store bought conditioner I've tried. I can tailor it to my needs, change up oils, add glycerin, etc, and totally avoid cones, mineral oil, petroleum, and other weird crap in my conditioner. I make leave-in moisturizers and moisturizing spritzes the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Do you have an idea of where to buy the organic/natural conditioner bases? I am so tired of buying conditioners that cost an arm and a leg only to be used in 2 uses. I am not heavy handed but I do believe that the conditioner should be on every strand of hair.

athenat
BTMS and water makes conditioner base. 1lb of BTMS cost about $15 on ebay, and can make about 5-8 batches of 24oz base.

On my accomplishments list for this year, is making my own products head to toe.

Subscribing to this thread.

First thing I saw is the daily fix and creating a cleansing conditioner is at the top of my list.

athenat I found a few natural and organic stores online when I was doing some research a while back, there were also some vendors that were trading on ebay and amazon too although when I did a search on ebay today only a couple came up and not the ones that were selling in huge tubs either, HTH

Last edited:
My DC is perishable so may not be ideal for you, but I mix up the following:

1 jar organic banana baby food
1 over ripe avocado
4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons honey
Dash of oil (I usually use grapeseed but anything or nothing works!!)

I then apply to my damp hair, and leave it on an hour. I do this every two weeks. A friend of mine prefers yogurt to the whipping cream, but do whatever works for you!

Back