How Do You Maintain Your Rollersets...

Isis

when going to bed?

So far, I'm learning to roll my hair in the mohawk at night (Don'tSpeakDefeat and Macherieamour's methods) and making two giant pincurls (Lonei's method) at the back of my head. I really love both of these methods and they seem to be very safe to wear to bed. The results are pretty, loose curls. SouthernGirl has a great method to make pincurls rather than rollerset, which I'm sure she maintains the same way.

How do you keep your rollersets looking good from wash to wash? Any other ideas? :)

Last edited:
I use pincurls if I've flatironed my hair, but my hair holds curls very well when I rollerset it, so I'll either put on a sleep bonnet before bed or put all the hair into a high ponytail.

shortness said:
Are there any instructions on how to do pincurls?
Southern Girl has very good instructions in her album. Lonei does also. They both do different kinds of pincurls that work beautifully.

If I do spiral curls, I keep the look with pincurls (what a life saver!).

If I do my curls and wrap them the curls hold for about 2 days, and I may rollerset on that 2nd day and sleep with the magnetic rollers.

I'm new to the rollerset game, but I can get 2-3 days out of a rollerset (trying to get more days) if I tuck the curls under and pin them, and put a hair net on top. Since I'm natural, I can't cover up the curls or else it will become somewhat humid under the cap/scarf and the curls will drop.

classimami713 said:
I'm new to the rollerset game, but I can get 2-3 days out of a rollerset (trying to get more days) if I tuck the curls under and pin them, and put a hair net on top. Since I'm natural, I can't cover up the curls or else it will become somewhat humid under the cap/scarf and the curls will drop.
I'll bet pincurls will work very well for you, which is almost like tucking the curls under and pinning them, except it's flatter against your head (sideways).
Your satin or silk scarf should not increase humidity underneath, even when natural, although I'm not an expert on natural hair (so I could be wrong). :scratchch I'm wondering if using a hair net like Lonei does will work for you (as you are doing), after you pin up your curls and sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase instead of the scarf...

Hi Isis,

I either wrap it (for a completely straight style) or if I don't feel like wrapping, I do one big twist (sort of like a lazy French Roll) in the back and pin it. The latter results in large, loose body waves.

Either way, I then put on a satin scully, and over that, a cotton bandana pulled right above my eyebrows and tied down in the back. My hair is so fine that the satin scully would slip off if that were the only thing I used.

I'm natural and the satin scully/cotton bandana combo also works to flatten the air and keep any moisture out overnight.

This almost always results in perfect hair, and my rollersets can last weeks like this.

Last edited:
MSCHICHI said:
Hi Isis,

I either wrap it (for a completely straight style) or if I don't feel like wrapping, I do one big twist (sort of like a lazy French Roll) in the back and pin it. The latter results in large, loose body waves.

Either way, I then put on a satin scully, and over that, a cotton bandana pulled right above my eyebrows and tied down in the back. My hair is so fine that the satin scully would slip off if that were the only thing I used.

I'm natural and the satin scully/cotton bandana combo also works to flatten the air and keep any moisture out overnight.

This almost always results in perfect hair, and my rollersets can last weeks like this.
I love your idea of one big twist in the back and pinning it. :yep: What do your ends look like when you do it this way? Are they smooth?

And the cotton bandana on top of your satin scarf to flatten is interesting. I've learned that silk and satin keeps our hair moisturized but your technique looks like it keeps outside moisture from getting in.

I roll my hair up at night in magnetic rollers. I know, I know...it seems like a lot of work, but it's not actually. At least not for me. I've gotten so fast with it, it takes me about 5 minutes to roll up my rollerset for bed. I'm so used to it the rollers aren't comfortable at all. Wrapping my hair and pin curls don't do it for me.

Isis said:
I love your idea of one big twist in the back and pinning it. :yep: What do your ends look like when you do it this way? Are they smooth?

And the cotton bandana on top of your satin scarf to flatten is interesting. I've learned that silk and satin keeps our hair moisturized but your technique looks like it keeps outside moisture from getting in.

I figured out the twist set from being tired one night and hoping for the best when I didn't feel like wrapping. My hair keeps wanting to slip loose when I try to wrap and sometimes I just don't feel like doing it. I was pleasantly surprised in the morning when I undid the twist and was hooked on the method. Its sinfully quick and easy (at least for me).

My ends are always smooth (if you meant not frizzy) but sometimes the very ends are a bit bent instead of mildly curled. The trick to keeping those ends from getting bent is to kind of tuck the ends into the roll a little (sort of like how you tuck the ends under in a pincurl) then firmly pin the ends down into it. Usually one big bobby pin does the trick, sometimes two. If the ends are sticking up out of the twist, when you tie it all down those parts sticking up may just bend and set that way, until the next time you wrap. When I do end up with a little bending, its not that bad and hardly noticable since the whole style is curly/wavy.

I always spray my ends with some Finisheen before I twist or wrap too.

I started putting the cotton bandana over my satin scully initially to prevent my hair from slipping loose at night, but found it not only keeps it in place, but it consistently kept my hair frizz-free and smooth.

I used to use the pantyhose method (you put opening over your hair and wrap the legs around) but my way now is more secure and keeps it flatter and smoother.

Isis said:
I'll bet pincurls will work very well for you, which is almost like tucking the curls under and pinning them, except it's flatter against your head (sideways).
Your satin or silk scarf should not increase humidity underneath, even when natural, although I'm not an expert on natural hair (so I could be wrong). :scratchch I'm wondering if using a hair net like Lonei does will work for you (as you are doing), after you pin up your curls and sleeping on a satin or silk pillowcase instead of the scarf...

Great suggestions Isis :up:

shellzfoshizzle said:
I roll my hair up at night in magnetic rollers. I know, I know...it seems like a lot of work, but it's not actually. At least not for me. I've gotten so fast with it, it takes me about 5 minutes to roll up my rollerset for bed. I'm so used to it the rollers aren't comfortable at all. Wrapping my hair and pin curls don't do it for me.

I might have to try this too.

asubeauty said:
Whenever I do pincurls, I have a dent my hair where the pin was. How do you prevent this???
I'm not a pincurl expert but I only use Good Hair Days pins to pin up my hair for styles or anything. They don't leave any dents and are very safe to use.

MSCHICHI said:
I figured out the twist set from being tired one night and hoping for the best when I didn't feel like wrapping. My hair keeps wanting to slip loose when I try to wrap and sometimes I just don't feel like doing it. I was pleasantly surprised in the morning when I undid the twist and was hooked on the method. Its sinfully quick and easy (at least for me).

My ends are always smooth (if you meant not frizzy) but sometimes the very ends are a bit bent instead of mildly curled. The trick to keeping those ends from getting bent is to kind of tuck the ends into the roll a little (sort of like how you tuck the ends under in a pincurl) then firmly pin the ends down into it. Usually one big bobby pin does the trick, sometimes two. If the ends are sticking up out of the twist, when you tie it all down those parts sticking up may just bend and set that way, until the next time you wrap. When I do end up with a little bending, its not that bad and hardly noticable since the whole style is curly/wavy.

I always spray my ends with some Finisheen before I twist or wrap too.

I started putting the cotton bandana over my satin scully initially to prevent my hair from slipping loose at night, but found it not only keeps it in place, but it consistently kept my hair frizz-free and smooth.

I used to use the pantyhose method (you put opening over your hair and wrap the legs around) but my way now is more secure and keeps it flatter and smoother.
Thank you MsChichi for these details!:)

shellzfoshizzle said:
Are you doing the Mohawk method with your magnetic rollers Shellzfoshizzle?

I put my hair in a mid to high ponytail and wrap it with a scarf. The curls still look good day after day. That's why I love rollersets so much. After the set is complete, I don't have to use any heat again until the next week when I do my hair again.

LovelyZ said:
I put my hair in a mid to high ponytail and wrap it with a scarf. The curls still look good day after day. That's why I love rollersets so much. After the set is complete, I don't have to use any heat again until the next week when I do my hair again.
Hmm... I haven't even tried going to bed with a mid to high ponytail of any kind. That sounds like a very good idea LovelyZ, especially since it works in maintaining your curls!

asubeauty said:
Whenever I do pincurls, I have a dent my hair where the pin was. How do you prevent this???

I use wide black hair pins (not the ones you have to force open), i think they are 2 inches wide and stay permanently open, I use 4 per pin curl. I get no dents this way.

By the way Isis, great thread, I wanted to learn some alternative methods. I find that to keep perfect curls, hands down the mowhawk set is the best but I just dont get a good night sleep so pin curls it is.

Last edited:
lonei said:
I use wide black hair pins (not the ones you have to force open), i think they are 2 inches wide and stay permanently open, I use 4 per pin curl. I get no dents this way.

By the way Isis, gret thread, I wanted to learn some alternative methods. I find that to keep perfect curls, hands down the mowhawk set is the best but I just dont get a good night sleep so pin curls it is.
Thank you Lonei! I've learned a lot from your recent and past pincurl methods in your album. Your methods seem to have really boosted your hair progress.

Isis said:
Are you doing the Mohawk method with your magnetic rollers Shellzfoshizzle?

Um, what's the Mohawk method? I'm guessing it's where you roll the crown of your head up and then wrap the remainder around your head like a wrap? If that's what it is, then no.

I roll my hair up all over like I just washed it and about to sit under the dryer or something...only I go to sleep. Rollers all over. It really does seem like a lot of trouble and many people don't do it, but honestly, wraps and pin curls and whatever else doesn't hold my hair in a style. I HAVE to roll my hair up at night to maintain. I am jealous of those who have a simple rollerset regimine.

I maintain mine with medium pin curls allover using metal rollersetting clips. Other than that my rollerset is mashed the next day.

If I am wearing my rollerset straight then I do the mohawk set with 3 mesh rollers or 3 gray magnetic rollers. (see my avi)

If I am wearing my hair curly I bend over and pile my curls on top of my head and cover with a satin bonnet. If I need to refresh my curls I pop a caruso roller in here or there, leave in for 15 mins and off I go.

I do pincurls or the mohawk set with 3 mesh rollers (more comfortable than the magnetic) however now I need larger ones because the size I use leaves my hair curlier than I want.

Since I usually only want to maintain body and swing, I wrap, but if it gets too much longer I will need to use one of the alternate methods you all have suggested.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and I've learned wonderful techniques in my short time as a member. I am sure this is a repeat question but could some Pleeeease explain exactly what is a mohawk set. Thanks in advance!

Back